Spare tire - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2015, 11:32 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape
Spare tire

I have a brand new spare tire that is 8 model years old. My question is can I use this tire on my trailer and match it up with another or is there a shelf life on it?
Grant Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:15 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Allen View Post
I have a brand new spare tire that is 8 model years old. My question is can I use this tire on my trailer and match it up with another or is there a shelf life on it?

5 to 6 years is tops......toss it.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:06 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I agree that you should not use it.. its not brand new if its eight years old.

That being said, if you decide to ignore that advice and use an eight year old tire… well, UV light (sunlight) is a main reason that tires need to be replaced before the tread wears out. So if it has been stored where there was no UV to age it, then that helps. If it was not exposed to oxygen, that helps even more.. but good luck finding a tire that was stored in a vacuum ; ) If I were to carry an eight-year-old tire to use as a spare (which I would not do) then I would only use it in an emergency, and only to get to the nearest safe place to park where I could go get proper tires.

So in sum, go get the proper tires and rest easy instead of taking chances with your life and property, as well as that of the rest of us on the road.

Tires Expire in Six Years - Tire Safety Group
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:52 AM   #4

Name: Van
Trailer: currently shopping
Texas
I would keep it as a spare and not replace it. If you have a flat use it briefly till you get you other repaired. I know you are supposed to use tires a limited time but I would have a hard time tossing it. Frankly I have never had to use a spare tire in any of my camping adventures. I would certainly not use a tire that old as a routine tire.
vanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:34 AM   #5

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
Question trailer car ??????

ok if the trailer tire is the same size as a car tire is there a differnce ?
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:38 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRClaus View Post
ok if the trailer tire is the same size as a car tire is there a differnce ?
Yes. Trailer tires have stiffer sidewalls for better straight-line tracking. Using car tires on a trailer can make it more vulnerable to sway.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:46 AM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
"Car tires" vary from too soft for safety to stiff enough to stand up on a light car with no air.
The general rule is the tires should match on the same axle.

Many subscribe to the "Logan's Run" method of tire maintenance and replacement and consider it prudent, eschewing inspection and steadily reducing the acceptable time out.
Reputable tire stores will mount/repair a tire up to ten years old for street use.

Looking for the date stamp, presents an opportunity to inspect the tire for condition and to make a decision whether to use it even as a spare.
If you are not qualified, ask a reputable tire dealer.

The world apparently doesn't have enough discarded tires, besides it helps the economy to buy new...(at least China's economy)
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:06 AM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Nope, Nope, Nope......

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanjr View Post
I would keep it as a spare and not replace it. If you have a flat use it briefly till you get you other repaired. I know you are supposed to use tires a limited time but I would have a hard time tossing it. Frankly I have never had to use a spare tire in any of my camping adventures. I would certainly not use a tire that old as a routine tire.

In using an aged out tire, one not only places their own equipment and family at risk, but also those on the road around them. An aged out tire may last 500 miles before failing or 5 miles before failing.

Just this last month were in places, (on major highways in Utah) where the "Next Services" were 110 miles away, and the outside temps were well over 110 degrees. Even taking the middle point, that's still 50 miles of bad road before finding help and, in that example, the chances of finding a correct replacement tire at the end of the rainbow are about zero.

Being and staying safe, for yourself, your family, and for others on the road around you, is part of the price of RV'ing. Being "Penny Wise and Pound Foolish" is not safe RV'ing.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:43 AM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
In using an aged out tire, one not only places their own equipment and family at risk, but also those on the road around them. An aged out tire may last 500 miles before failing or 5 miles before failing.

Just this last month were in places, (on major highways in Utah) where the "Next Services" were 110 miles away, and the outside temps were well over 110 degrees. Even taking the middle point, that's still 50 miles of bad road before finding help and, in that example, the chances of finding a correct replacement tire at the end of the rainbow are about zero.

Being and staying safe, for yourself, your family, and for others on the road around you, is part of the price of RV'ing. Being "Penny Wise and Pound Foolish" is not safe RV'ing.
What is an "aged out" tire?

3 years? 5 Years? 10Years(industry standard)? Or physical evidence of aging procured by inspection?

The article quoted earlier actually said that tires were made of rubber.
Even if used as a generic term, the article went on to compare tire aging with rubber band aging which would be comparing tire compound polyester with latex!
Many people want to quote industry standards then go on to say not to trust them by such and such percentage, accusing the people we are supposed to trust of not figuring in any margins for safety...

This is true for more than just tires, we constantly hear of people being accused of threatening public safety while staying within the ratings and standards set by the manufacturers or legal limits.

What you say sounds reasonable, but without common definitions, we have Babel.

OH! this is so confusing!
Old 07-07-2015, 12:49 PM   #10

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Look everything is a gamble. I had a trailer tire with a huge bulge / bubble after only 600 miles, one year of age.. The shop said a lot of the tires we are using are Chinese junk and they see failures like this a lot. So you spends your money and you takes your chances. I try to do reasonable risk management without breaking the bank. You have good information now to do the same.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:46 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Look everything is a gamble. I had a trailer tire with a huge bulge / bubble after only 600 miles, one year of age.. The shop said a lot of the tires we are using are Chinese junk and they see failures like this a lot. So you spends your money and you takes your chances. I try to do reasonable risk management without breaking the bank. You have good information now to do the same.
DITTO!
Old 07-07-2015, 03:40 PM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I use to buy tires from Americas tire with lifetime warranty. They replaced the tire until it hit the wear bars. A couple of years ago they changed their warranty to lifetime for the life of the tire and in the small print they added lifetime of tire limited to 6 years. I also ran into this with my offroad tires bought from a national vendor. They also limited tire life to 6 years and will not repair a tire older than that. I'm sure this has allot to do with their liability insurance and to control warren costs.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:11 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
I use to buy tires from Americas tire with lifetime warranty. They replaced the tire until it hit the wear bars. A couple of years ago they changed their warranty to lifetime for the life of the tire and in the small print they added lifetime of tire limited to 6 years. I also ran into this with my offroad tires bought from a national vendor. They also limited tire life to 6 years and will not repair a tire older than that. I'm sure this has allot to do with their liability insurance and to control warren costs.
"America's Tire" is the same company as "Discount Tire".

Quote from their website...
"Discount Tire and America's Tire are two unique names for one nationwide company."

"Any purchase made at any Discount Tire or America's Tire store can be serviced at locations bearing either name."

I buy lots of tires and have them serviced at my local "Discount Tire".
Their policy for mounting or repair (not warranty) is 10years.
I have confirmed this with the recent purchase of my last set of Carlisles. In fact they said they would not mount a never used Marathon of mine for spare use since it was reaching their limit of ten years.

As for warranty, Here is a quote from their website...

"How Does It Work?
If a tire covered by the Certificate for Refund, Repair or Replacement fails due to a defect or an unrepairable road hazard, and still has legal tread (3/32") remaining across the tire, and it has been in use less than 3 years from date of purchase, America's Tire will give a refund of the full purchase price, together with the applicable sales tax and give you the option to purchase the same new or comparable tire at the refund price, with the payment of any applicable sales tax. There is no prorating, no disqualification for any reason such as run-on damage and no mileage adjustment. It is the very best tire certificate program we know of.
How to Purchase the Certificate"

Tread life beyond three years is prorated on remaining tread with zero at 3/32nds. Just a couple months ago I had the treadlife warranty on my Michelin Hydroedge tires honored after 7 years
Old 07-07-2015, 08:19 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
How to Purchase the Certificate"
In other words, you are buying a warranty in addition to buying a tire?
Old 07-07-2015, 08:24 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
You takes your chances...

Here's my take on tires 5 to 6 years old or older. Comparing the cost of tires vs the cost of the trailer, tires are pretty cheap. Therefore in my opinion I would rather change the tires the 5 to 6 years and reduce the risk of a blow out like I witnessed on 16' Scamp. The damage to the Scamp was much more costly than the tire. Hmmm.. Think it's getting close to time to replace my Scamp tires.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:26 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
In other words, you are buying a warranty in addition to buying a tire?
Not me.. I NEVER buy optional warranties, but yes the certificates are optional and not worth it to me.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:29 PM   #17

I never buy additional warranties either, but that's what the "How does it work" paragraph appears to be describing.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:32 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Here's my take on tires 5 to 6 years old or older. Comparing the cost of tires vs the cost of the trailer, tires are pretty cheap. Therefore in my opinion I would rather change the tires the 5 to 6 years and reduce the risk of a blow out like I witnessed on 16' Scamp. The damage to the Scamp was much more costly than the tire. Hmmm.. Think it's getting close to time to replace my Scamp tires.
The only problem with that theory is that the greatest risk of tire failure under your plan is during the first year. Of course that risk starts to go back up after ten years or so.
So, changing tires too often can be nearly as risky as changing them too seldom.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:21 PM   #19

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The only problem with that theory is that the greatest risk of tire failure under your plan is during the first year. Of course that risk starts to go back up after ten years or so.
So, changing tires too often can be nearly as risky as changing them too seldom.
I don't think that's true. Might have been 30 to 40 years ago, but today I doubt it. Would you like find some stats to prove your point?
Old 07-07-2015, 11:38 PM   #20

Well, put it this way.
Thirty per cent of drivers involved in an accident are DUI.
Seventy per cent are not DUI.
Stands to reason that there is less chance of being in an accident if you are DUI.

Not?