Spare Tire Bracket - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Spare Tire Bracket

I could use some recommendations for installing a spare tire bracket on my Uhaul (on the back bumper). Or has anyone mounted it through the shell? Photos, techniques, advise, all are welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
Uhaul Bumper.jpg  
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:50 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Mine's resting on the rear bumper (metal) supported on four threaded studs the prior owner installed through the rear glass, hidden under the access panel. Probably a good idea to back this up with a metal plate.

I did find a spare tire carrier at Harbor Freight for about $15 and I was all set to convert over to using that, but when I unscrewed the spare I found that it was actually nicely supported by the bumper. Using the Harbor Freight thing would have required drilling four holes in the bumper since it's much wider than the 4" typical RV bumper that is set up for U-bolts, and it would have reduced the clearance some.

The harbor freight bracket might need to mount offset a bit if you want to avoid the supports in the center of the bumper, but maybe not. I would give this bracket a serious look if I were starting from scratch. The glass mounted setup is tight but I am a bit worried about cracking in the long run.

Regards,

Matt
Old 10-28-2010, 09:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact Jr
Matt; where the bolts go thru the 'glass', enlarge the holes and install grommets. This will allow movement of the bolts without impacting the 'glass'; i.e.;no cracking
Dave Bese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Tire Mount

Trillium mounts their spare on a piece of angle iron probably 1/8"x2"x2"x48". Cut through one of the legs at the halfway spot so the other leg can be bent into an upside down "V". Then weld two 1/2" threaded rods or long bolts to the inside of the "V" at the point where they will fit into two holes on your wheel.
Then weld to the bumper, a little spray paint and you're done.

I feel that one of the advantages of eggs is the one piece, seamless shell. If you start drilling holes in it willy nilly you defeat the purpose of being an egg.
Attached Thumbnails
tire mount.JPG  

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:29 PM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
The person that owned this trailer before me did this mod and it works really good...... the framework around the tire mount is not needed as it was for an exercise machine but the spare nestles into that which is just an added bonus. the fabricated tire mount is welded to the rear bumper and if you look closely you will see there is an extra hole to put a padlock thru it and the tire stud hole. The mount was fabricated out of 2" square stock (same as the hitch that goes into 2" receivers)
This bumper mount is in no way attached to the fiberglass trailer..........
You can still see the old sawed off studs coming out of the fiberglass where it used to be installed.
Joe
Attached Thumbnails
89.JPG   90.JPG  

91.JPG  
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact Jr
Of course then you can have the Cadillac of spare tires; the table spare

Teardrops & Tiny Travel Trailers :: View topic - Rear Bumper W/ Spare tire /becomes a Table
Dave Bese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:14 AM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have an odd solution. When I purchased my latest rig, the spare was mounted up front on the A frame. I wanted to reduce tongue weight, but there was no place to put it on the back safely (IMHO)

I had all the tackle on the Jeep for towing it behind the motorhome, useless to me now. For a few bucks I had a welder put a block on the crossbar and mount the tire to it.

Now the Jeep has a funny nose, but it works very well.

Plus I can REALLY go at ramming speed now :-P
Attached Thumbnails
jeepspare.jpg  
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:38 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Gina,
Just curious,did putting the spare up front make any difference in your engine temp ?

Bill K
Ps I am in Texas (from Ohio) heading West maybe we will cross paths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
I have an odd solution. When I purchased my latest rig, the spare was mounted up front on the A frame. I wanted to reduce tongue weight, but there was no place to put it on the back safely (IMHO)

I had all the tackle on the Jeep for towing it behind the motorhome, useless to me now. For a few bucks I had a welder put a block on the crossbar and mount the tire to it.

Now the Jeep has a funny nose, but it works very well.

Plus I can REALLY go at ramming speed now :-P
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:27 PM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Gina, that could work, since I have been considering having a hitch receiver added to the front of my new TV so I can mount a bike rack on it. (wonder if there are combo units?) But I also like the idea of having a nifty tire cover on the back of my trailer, so I'll probably go with a bumper bracket. Since my UH has the larger 'C' shaped bumper, it will involve drilling a few holes in it, which will be better than drilling them in the trailer's shell.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:24 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Have you seen these? $50. Available thru JC Whitney and others. Other options available. Do a Google search for "Spare tire crier for trailers."
Attached Thumbnails
Tire mount.jpg  
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:31 AM   #11

Trailer: (fiberglass)
tire mount

Pam, I just put a spare tire on my uhaul. i looked for what i needed and could not find it. i made one form a 11/4 tube i got at lowes and it works good . there is a pic of it posted under spare tire mount under this tread. hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
I could use some recommendations for installing a spare tire bracket on my Uhaul (on the back bumper). Or has anyone mounted it through the shell? Photos, techniques, advise, all are welcome!
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:16 AM   #12

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
i made one form a 11/4 tube i got at lowes and it works good . there is a pic of it posted under spare tire mount
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...unt-44281.html
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote