Spare Tire Mount - Scamp 13' - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2021, 12:09 AM   #1

Name: Sean
Trailer: 1981 Scamp 13'
Oregon
Spare Tire Mount - Scamp 13'

Hello all! It's my first post here, so hopefully this is in the right place.

I'm an owner of a new to me 1982 Scamp 13'. There appears to be some damage around the original spare tire mount (see patch in photo). I haven't gotten under the patch yet to assess the damage. When I removed the spare it was attached through the original mounting holes and through the metal bar in the picture. The metal bar is attached to the bumper using two large bolts.

As it seems stronger than the fiberglass shell, is possible to mount the spare tire to only the metal bar? I'd like to prevent any additional damage to the shell.

Thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
20210210_215234.jpg  
Ladiesandthescamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:41 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Your mount may be less stable than the stock system. If there is any play between the channel iron and the trailer shell, that could create problems.

Looks like a somewhat crude fix to an earlier problem. Many report decades of no problems with the original mounting system, having the tire snug against the shell is important.

With your set up, any flex in the frame could create problems in the shell. The original design calls for a snug spare tire against the shell. The design on yours could create more stress on the shell. That vertical channel could create a lever arm, torquing against that shell.

I would remove that vertical bar, patch the fiberglass, investigate the bolt attachment on the inside of the trailer, and go back to the original design. Something could be wrong here. Very poor patch job, I kind of wonder what is under that glob of something.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...der-68721.html
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:56 AM   #3

Name: BigT
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
Spare Tire Idea

I always make a oval plywood piece to put inside the trailer that has holes drilled through it to spread the load across more of the fibreglass to prevent damage. I also agree it is important to snug the tire tight against the outside of the trailer to prevent flexing or torquing.
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:45 AM   #4

Oregon
Thanks for your input and reference to another thread. I've read the thread and others regarding the spare tire mount. Sounds like the bar that was attached to the back bumper was a bad call on the part of the previous owner.

Based on the amount of mold I'm cleaning up in the interior around the dining area, I'd say there's probably a leak that the previous owner attempted to patch. I'll definitely remove the bar and pull off the patch this weekend.

I'll update this thread once I am able to determine if reverting back to the factory design is possible considering the weird fix.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:04 PM   #5

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Thumbs up Scamp Spare Tire

I had a 13' Scamp and had a similar problem with the spare tire. Lost the entire tire while driving across Florida through the Everglades. Never found the tire - but didn't look too hard.
When I got closer to home, someone bumped into the Scamp rear bumper and bent it a little. But I realized if the spare tire had been there, there would have been much more damage to the trailer itself.

So I made a vertical tire mount bolted to the reinforced bumper. That put the tire in approx the same location but not bolted to the trailer. Avoiding expensive fiberglass repairs from minor fender benders.

I'd send pictures...but sold the 13 and bought a 16.

Jim
Jim with Scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:53 AM   #6

Oregon
Wink

Thanks for the idea Jim! Sorry to hear about your tire. Though it doesn't seem like you lost too much sleep over it.

I'm definitely considering mounting options other than the stock design. I'm not too keen on having a structural support welded under the scamp to support the tire on the bumper. I've read a few threads here where folks mounted the tire on the tongue or under the trailer.

Hope you're enjoying your new 16' trailer.
Old 02-13-2021, 11:37 PM   #7

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp 13'
California
here is what I did. Granted my scamp has not been on the road yet. I just finished my restro, then managed to break my truck so I have not tested it out yet. I did not want the tire sitting on the fresh paint.
Attached Thumbnails
scamp tire.jpg  
Scott Corsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:36 AM   #8

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Corsair View Post
here is what I did.
I'd be really interested to see what happens if you mount your tire on that, grab it by the top of the tire and pull out as hard as you can.

If it doesn't immediately snap off at the lower small weld, it might be good for a while.

But I wouldn't want to drive behind you for very long due to my own worries that it will break off and fly into my windshield.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 11:38 AM   #9

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp 13'
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post
I'd be really interested to see what happens if you mount your tire on that, grab it by the top of the tire and pull out as hard as you can.

If it doesn't immediately snap off at the lower small weld, it might be good for a while.

But I wouldn't want to drive behind you for very long due to my own worries that it will break off and fly into my windshield.

my guess is the bumper will bend. I was thinking about gusseting the stock bumper. Been welding for a very long time and have not had a weld break in a very long time. Everything was prepped properly and welded with a 240v miller mig welder. It penetrated pretty good when it welded.
Scott Corsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:54 AM   #10

Oregon
Patch Update

Sorry this update took so long! We had a snow storm here which knocked out our power for a week and prevented any progress on the scamp. I'm happy to be working on it again.

After removing the patch, it seems that a previous owner may have backed the trailer into something with the spare on it. It caused some cracking on the shell. It looks like they added new holes to hold the tire.

What's my next move? Are the two "new" holes still viable to mount the tire to or should I just patch them all and find a new place to store the spare?
Attached Thumbnails
20210222_161744.jpg  

Tags
scamp