Splintered OSB neat water tank drain - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2014, 05:40 AM   #1

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Splintered OSB neat water tank drain

Howdy folks,

When scamp blew the hole through the OSB for the water tank drain it splintered. I glued it back up last night (3.5" by 1.5" hunk) and painted it a bit.

Would like to seal it somewhat but don't have skill to use glass. Can anyone recommend a product that would give that nice glossy seal like glass, that I could perhaps paint or spray on? Just a little area, but it is raw wood now and I'd like to protect it somewhat.

Cheers!

Wendy

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:55 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Wally World sells a qt. container of polyester resin in the auto body section. Just mix part A and part B as directed. Wear disposable gloves and get a throw away brush from the dollar store. Just paint it on. No need for glass cloth if you are just trying to seal the wood. (The resin will dry clear.)
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:44 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
MinWax has a product called "Wood Hardener" that is designed to seal up water damaged wood, that may also do the trick with a few coats. No mixing, no leftover stuff, just brush it on. After it dries, you can cover the wood hardener with clear spray varnish if needed. Available at most any hardware store, other brands may exist.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Anything is better than nothing. If it were me, I'd use 2-3 coats of flat black spray paint.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:49 AM   #5

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I did put on the Minwax Wood Hardener last night and would like to apply Helmsman outdoor polyurethane this am if weather cooperates. Thank you folks for all the great ideas- each one of them a gem!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote