spray glue trouble - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2006, 06:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 73 Boler 13 ft
Hi everyone, so last night i glued my material to my roof and it looked like a million bucks stuck like crazy, but when I came home today from work it had all peeled right of the roof I used loctite permanent heavy duty glue & followed the instructions has any one else had this problem & what should I do! thanks in advance!
JIMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
What kind of a surface were you glueing the new material to?

It could be heat softened glue that was not completely set up yet. If the unit was out in the hot sun, that is.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:59 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
i only use 3m spray glue but it is designed for automotive use ...
Dan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 05:02 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...3m spray glue ...
There are a lot of 3M adhesive products, including at least two in spray cans which are normally stocked at stores such as Canadian Tire. I used Hi-Strength 90, and didn't have this problem. Which 3M adhesive did you use, Dan?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 10:51 PM   #5

Trailer: 1985 U-Haul 13 ft ('Toad Hall')
Jim, We just put up a 23 inch wide strip by 12 foot long, of indoor/outdoor marine carpet from front to back on the ceiling of our U-haul. We found that spreading a thin layer of contact cement over the old cement after ripping down the old carpet did a dandy job as a remover of the old contact cement. After we peeled off the old contact cement, we put a layer of new contact cement on the back of the carpet and the area to be covered. Waited about 20 minutes at an abient temperature of about 65 degrees, got it positioned in the right place and stuck it on up. Best get it right the first time, you don't get a second chance. It went up beautifully and has stayed up for about three weeks so far. The adhesive outgassing was gone in about a week. We just left the roof vent open and one of the side windows. We had a hard time trying to find 3M adhesive so we went with contact cement. Out of one gallon we used about a third. One gallon was only $15.00 US. We got enough for at least two more stick ups. Good luck with your project,
Jim and Leslie
Jim C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:08 PM   #6

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
I have used lots of different spray glue on lots of projects and wasted lots of time. Now, the only thing I use is 3M Super 77. In my opinion, it is the best and worth the $8 or so a can. I get it at Home Depot.
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:30 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
I used this to reglue some ensolite after installing a new vent. I had to rig up support to provide pressure on it overnite. It was fine then.
Barbara Gardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:49 AM   #8
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
As I mentioned before, I used 3M automotive adhesive. Since it's made for use on headliners and car carpet I'm sure it will stand up to the heat. I used it to re-glue some areas that other glues failed in. So far so good. True test will be when we get above 100*F this year. We've already had some pretty warm days and it has held on so far, so I have confidence it'll work.

I like this one, also, because it is easy to use. You can adjust the spray width so all you need is a small hole to shoot it through. Let it sit a bit and smack 'em together.
Attached Thumbnails
adhesive.jpeg  
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote