spray-on stone protection - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2011, 03:45 PM   #1

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Red face spray-on stone protection

hi everyone....i am wondering if anyone who has had some sort of stone/rock protector applied to their rig could advise me on the pros..and possible cons...of getting this done. dennis has checked out linex and so far, they seem the best option...but we ALWAYS start here at the forum getting the TRUE expert opinions!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
hi everyone....i am wondering if anyone who has had some sort of stone/rock protector applied to their rig could advise me on the pros..and possible cons...of getting this done. dennis has checked out linex and so far, they seem the best option...but we ALWAYS start here at the forum getting the TRUE expert opinions!!
This(the front bumper and black trim) is done with "Duplicolor" bedliner spray cans on plastic and steel...
It lasts for years and requires no primer.
Attached Thumbnails
july4t1.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:07 PM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Autozone has spray on and a roll on version.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 1977 17' Boler
Saskatchewan
Spay on Rock Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
Hi Theresa.

There is the do it yourself spray cans that you can purchase at Canadian Tire for example. I have seen a few jobs that people have done. Probably not as nice job as a professional , but is cheaper.
Now I had a unusual trailer I thing. I own a 17' Boler trasiler made in 1977 in Calgary Alberta, and like I said unusual beacuse it came with a rubber mat stone guard just like some of the 13 footers did. It was factory original as it was exactly the same matting. This trailer had been left at a lake for 19 years unused, and the front of the trailer faced directly south into the sun. The rubber matting was in pretty rough shape by the time I got the trailer. I tore of the remaininly and sanded of the contact cement used to hold it in place. I went to an autobody shop that advertised truckliner spray and I enquied about it sticking to fiberglass. No problems he said. It cost me $100 , back tens years ago and it looks just as good now as it did when first applied.

I did remove all of the batteries and propane tanks, to make it easier and I had them follow the original outline of the matting. Pleae insist that they paper the enitr trailer as the spray that I had put on was hot, and if you do't take the time to cover everything, you will have tiny little specs of black everywhere. They have a few colours available, but black holds up the best. Three coats and she was done. The funny thing that over the first summer , I made alot of short camping trips and I took the trailer to the car wash to spray off the bug residue. The black stone guard wasn't looking as black anymore. I asked the autobody shop why and he said it was do to the soap getting in all of the tiny crevices and making the black look a little chalky. The guy said to take a tire brush and some clean water, no soap and the brush and water would remove the chalk. He was right and it still looks goood today. They used a Lynex product but there is Rhino as well. Not sure which is better, Just get them to use alot of paper to cover.

Boler77 Greg
Boler77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #5

Name: Brayden
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Registry
Just remember if you use a 1k product (aka spray can or any product without an activator or hardener)you will not get any uv protection
There is products at AUTOBODY supply stores like the one I have that sell a two component box-liner or chip guard

Out of the 6 or so we have
We found u-pol to be the best
Thay have a product called raptor liner
Black or tintable ( kits or individual ( can be rolled on bit it will be smoother))
Both will have uv protection and work great
We sell the kit for 140$ and it comes with 5lt could spray a half a 13" boler with it
Hope it helps

P.s it will outlast any spry can too
Seeings how it is a chemical adhesion vs an air dry product
Siris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:40 PM   #6

Registry
everyone---thanks for the great info so far! i especially like the do-it-yourself idea.
keep the comments coming!!!
Old 08-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well, here's another DIY solution and comes it lots of colors! Grizzly Grip
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siris View Post
Just remember if you use a 1k product (aka spray can or any product without an activator or hardener)you will not get any uv protection
There is products at AUTOBODY supply stores like the one I have that sell a two component box-liner or chip guard

Out of the 6 or so we have
We found u-pol to be the best
Thay have a product called raptor liner
Black or tintable ( kits or individual ( can be rolled on bit it will be smoother))
Both will have uv protection and work great
We sell the kit for 140$ and it comes with 5lt could spray a half a 13" boler with it
Hope it helps

P.s it will outlast any spry can too
Seeings how it is a chemical adhesion vs an air dry product
The product from duplicolor is the same, roll-on or spray can, colors can be a problem though.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #9

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
I WISH I would have sprayed on a chip guard... I just returned from a trip that included a week up in the Bighorn Mountains. 10 miles up to the wilderness line on rock roads and the poor Boler looks like I unloaded a shotgun into the front paint job

I'm just glad I didn't realize how BAD it was until we got home. The scenic views may not have been as beautiful otherwise!
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:50 PM   #10

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
I'm going to do this tomorrow provided it's not raining. I have many small rock chips at the doorside corner, it always bugs me. I am using 1 quart of Duplicolor paint on, I'll post pics tomorrow when I'm done. I'm only going up about 1/3 of the way in the front and just past the front curve. It will also cover up a bad spot where a previous owner did a poor job color matching a spot.
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #11

Registry
hi james---panoz77---just wondering how you made out with the duplicolour application? the amount of the front that you had planned to coat is just about the exact areas we, too, are looking to protect.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:52 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I have an Escape 17B with the front storage box which covers most of the lower front of the trailer. It is coated with LineX and after 18K miles, no chips. One point - the finish is very rough - you can't clean it with a sponge or rag, but brushes or high pressure spray works well.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #13

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
Theresa, I started a new thread, here are some pics and a link to the thread, it came out great and was really easy. I actually used the Rust-O-Leum paint on bedliner and not the duplicolor. 1 quart was enough for 3 coats with some left over for future touch ups if needed.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...3-a-47801.html

Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:10 PM   #14

Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Line-X does colors, meaning they can do the spray on rock guard in the same color as your egg.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote