Stereo installation Casita - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-06-2017, 02:45 PM   #1

Name: Jake
Trailer: 2010 Casita Spirit deluxe
Colorado
Stereo installation Casita

Hello,

I am looking for other 17' Casita owners who have installed stereos, wondered if anyone has tips and tricks? I am looking for recommendations of where to put it, speaker choices and locations.

I will post pictures of mine once I have finished the project.

jakeo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:04 PM   #2

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
Bluetooth

Bluetooth speakers are your friends. They pack a big sound punch and you can easily take them outside. Wiring is not an issue.

likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:35 PM   #3

Name: Jan
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
I agree on blue tooth speakers from a smart phone or a I pad type thingy. I also installed a 12 Volt USB charger/power outlet in my boler
Jan
Jan Dyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:51 AM   #4

Name: p@
Trailer: Casita
South Carolina
Registry
here's how i installed a "system" in my 16er. basically just a 12v car stereo with a couple good speakers. the carpeted walls make for a very good listening chamber. the radio has no optical disk tray but does have a bunch of inputs for stored music.

p@
Attached Thumbnails
stereo & curtain upgrade_cu.jpg  
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:55 AM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
We have also adopted playing via bluetooth from an i-thingy. We started with a larger bluetooth speaker, then bought the Oontz Angle 3, a much smaller one, for it's portability.

https://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Sou.../dp/B010OYASRG

Under 10 ounces, 5 inches long, 2.8 inches tall; High capacity rechargeable 2200 mAh battery for up to 12 hours of playtime at 2/3 volume on a full charge

We set this on the counter top or the corner shelf inside our Casita. Also, depending on the spacing of the camp sites, I find I can sometimes strategically locate it on a picnic table or such that I can hear music without "sharing" it with my neighbors.

As we all know, the music we like is good, but other people's is usually crap, so it's good not to share.

I am seeing many new trailers with outdoor speakers strategically placed high up on the curb side wall. I fully expect that I will consequently be treated to music from my neighbors more and more as time goes on.

I will have my just and evil revenge when their speaker cones break and rain fills their sidewalls, leading to delamination.

Oh no, I can't believe that I said that!
Old 06-07-2017, 11:02 AM   #6

Name: Lee
California
Agree

Bluetooth. I also agree with keeping my music to myself. I get so annoyed when neighbors insist on sharing their racket..sigh. What happened to curtosy? My radio isn't installed..I am looking forward to seeing what folks have done. I would prefer installing near the middle of my LD, just for ease of reaching it.
Leej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:26 AM   #7

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
It's a lot easier to reach in your pocket for a smartphone. Mine contains all the music I have purchased or downloaded from my CDs. It also has apps that I downloaded that allow you to stream radio.
Connects by bluetooth to JBL speaker ( there are better, more expensive ones ). Can sit in my pocket, while I listen on ear bud.
And, best of all, no holes in the trailer.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:22 PM   #8

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeo25 View Post
Hello,

I am looking for other 17' Casita owners who have installed stereos, wondered if anyone has tips and tricks? I am looking for recommendations of where to put it, speaker choices and locations.

I will post pictures of mine once I have finished the project.
We made a stereo cabinet out of a 12 inch wide by about 6-7 inch deep CD cabinet with movable shelves. It was tall but we cut it down to the height of the space between the little side table and the high edge of the floor/wall. We bought a car stereo that was the depth and was able to use the shelves in different positions for the height of the stereo. This left space for cd's, dvd's and remote controls. We fixed the top and bottom of the cabinet solid and put 2 inch commercial velcro on the top and the table and on the bottom we used the part of the velcro that stuck to the carpet. We ran wires around the edge of the wall and was able to tuck them in. We ran the power from an empty fuse box spot since the converter is so close. We didn't have to drill any holes. Our speakers are mounted on the bottom of the cabinets above the table at each end. They are a little wedge speaker. We mounted them with the 2 inch velcro also. All wires are tucked into the edges of the wall carpet. We could remove all of this and not have any damage.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:48 PM   #9

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
If you were into listening to the radio and were also going out in the regions where there are few stations it would make a lot of sense to install a stereo with satellite radio reception.

Bose does of course have a reputation for great sound from a single small speaker without having a big speaker system. They have a lot of bluetooth, wireless and rechargeable choices that would be very good in such a small space. They also have very small stereo systems that have radios and CD players in them a well as aux inputs.

As to where you would put speakers...it depends on where you want to be sitting while listening.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:52 PM   #10

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
If you were into listening to the radio and were also going out in the regions where there are few stations it would make a lot of sense to install a stereo with satellite radio reception.

Bose does of course have a reputation for great sound from a single small speaker without having a big speaker system. They have a lot of bluetooth, wireless and rechargeable choices that would be very good in such a small space. They also have very small stereo systems that have radios and CD players in them a well as aux inputs.

As to where you would put speakers...it depends on where you want to be sitting while listening.
We have a portable Sirius XM radio and use it in the Casita and 2 other vehicles plus at home. We have the docking stations for vehicles. This way we only pay for one subscription and use it all over.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:50 PM   #11

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
We have a portable Sirius XM radio and use it in the Casita and 2 other vehicles plus at home. We have the docking stations for vehicles. This way we only pay for one subscription and use it all over.
I too have the Sirius XM radio. I have a dock in the RAV4 and the Executive Dock which I use in the trailer and minimally at home. The sound quality from the Executive Dock is good enough for listening to 'Dragnet' and 'The Whistler' on olde time radio. Good enough for country music on Willie's Roadhouse.
I turned it off on last road trip through BC coast mountains. Got tired of it cutting out.
I suspended my subscription last fall and restarted this May so I wouldn't pay for something I wasn't using. Getting closer to cancelling entirely.
I can load up my iPhone with podcasts and the music I like and not pay a subscription.
Or, I can just listen to the river and rustling leaves.
Attached Thumbnails
Sirius dock.jpg   Sirius Stiletto.jpg  

Old 06-08-2017, 07:05 AM   #12

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I also have satellite radio in my camper, but the unit that I use plugs into a docking station which still needs an amplifier and speakers, or a radio with aux input, etc. So this does not directly address the question.

BTW, the under cabinet radio you see in the photo does have bluetooth (as well as AUX input), but I never could get it to receive FM very well on 12 volts. It normally uses the AC power line as an antenna, and all my attempts to get a decent signal while running it off shore power did not work very well, so I have removed the under cabinet radio. Too bad since it draws very little power.

I am now using a desk top radio with Digital HD FM, that I keep in the house, and put in the upper cabinet when using the camper, running off 12 VDC. It has aux input for the sat radio but does not have bluetooth. I have considered a car type radio, with separately installed speakers but thats more than I want to get into at present.
Attached Thumbnails
Final.jpg  
gordon2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:59 PM   #13

Name: Walt
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Pennsylvania
This is what I have:
Dayton Audio DAEX25W-8 Waterproof 25mm Exciter 10W 8 Ohm $20.00 each

Lepy LP-2020A Class-D Audio Amplifier 20Wx2 RMS Digital Mini Hi-Fi Stereo Power Amplifier With Power Adapter(Black) $27.00

Plus wires for connections
Speakers were placed on the inside of the storage/cabinet walls in the area of post #4. Amplifier placed in the overhead area above the kitchen seats (opposite the sink and stove)

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Walt
wkenney53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:41 AM   #14

Name: Jan
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
I like the smart phone and blue tooth speakers, not much spare room for mounting anything in a 13 ft boler. I also hate listening to others music. When I go off grid I like the peace and quiet
Jan

Jan Dyke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita