Stinky slinky hose brands? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2016, 08:56 AM   #1

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Stinky slinky hose brands?

Hi all,

Earlier in our winter trip I ordered 2 RhinoFlex 5' hoses as we often need 3 to reach the connections.

The original 5' blue light weight hose that came with our new Scamp in Oct. 2014 has long since has been tossed as it was very leaky.

I replaced that one with a generic brown hose that seems to be the same light weight plastic and now it too is leaking where the metal ribs have worn holes through while riding in the front holder.
Guess I will replace this with another RhinoFlex.

Any other suggestions for a more durable hose?
I did add a rear bumper 6' plastic fence post so I can store the 2 RhinoFlex on the Scamp as per Bob and Norm's suggestions.

Cheers,

Bat Dude
Old 02-24-2016, 10:08 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I have found that the red Valterra hoses and accessories are the best for my money. available at Camping world and other RV shops.

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:26 AM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Not sure as to what happened to your Rhino-Flex hose, but they are probably the "Rolls-Royce's" of RV sewer hoses on the market, and generally about as "bullet-proof" as any out there. I also use these and have had excellent results with them. I have also had a few "cheapo" hoses that aren't worth carrying as well, but I soon learned that you get what you pay for, (recalling the junk "freebie" ones they give you to get you out the door,)
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:41 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Pine needles, grit and grime can puncture the best of hoses. I've seen where folks carry things from PVC gutter to pipe cut in half to lay a sewer hose on. I know camping over in Eastern Oregon in the lava beds is sure fire way to have a leaker.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:44 AM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Not sure as to what happened to your Rhino-Flex hose, but they are probably the "Rolls-Royce's" of RV sewer hoses on the market, and generally about as "bullet-proof" as any out there. I also use these and have had excellent results with them. I have also had a few "cheapo" hoses that aren't worth carrying as well, but I soon learned that you get what you pay for, (recalling the junk "freebie" ones they give you to get you out the door,)
Maybe "BENTley" may be more appropriate...Or "Rolls Kenardley" since the stuff Rolls downhill and Kenardley make it up the next!

Our freebie hose actually wore through just rubbing on the inside of the carrier!
Old 02-24-2016, 10:57 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I have found that the red Valterra hoses and accessories are the best for my money. available at Camping world and other RV shops.

Floyd ,which series of Valtera sewer hose are you referencing - Dominator or Viper ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:29 AM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Floyd ,which series of Valtera sewer hose are you referencing - Dominator or Viper ?
I don't recall either name associated with the red hose, but it is the series shown above.
From what I saw in images, the Dominator is black and the Viper is grey.
It may be called "EZ Coupler".
Old 02-24-2016, 12:11 PM   #8

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I think the OP is saying the 2 Rhino hoses are good but the third hose needs replacing for the third time. First was OEM equipment, now the generic brown one to replace OEM hose has failed.

I only ever hooked up to drain tanks on the way out and my hoses lasted a long time. Several years as I recall. I think the OEM hoses are intended for just that level of use. Continuous use is probably much harder on them. From UV if nothing else, plus the stretch & flex into position for hookup and remaining under that stress for longer periods might also reduce lifespan of a hose.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 01:05 PM   #9

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I don't recall either name associated with the red hose, but it is the series shown above.
From what I saw in images, the Dominator is black and the Viper is grey.
It may be called "EZ Coupler".

I have the Viper, and it is gray. And IMHO, it is better than a Rhino. My Viper has lasted way longer than a Rhino I previously owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 02-24-2016, 01:21 PM   #10

Name: Ralph
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
Stinky slinky length to fit front holder?

I have the brown hose and it fits in the front holder. What brand/ size hose will fit in the front holder?
cookie_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:24 AM   #11

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie_c View Post
I have the brown hose and it fits in the front holder. What brand/ size hose will fit in the front holder?
As to the diameter, they are all standard 3" RV sani-hoses, and will generally all fit in the standard square "sewer hose bumpers." However, that being said, there is the matter of various terminal end fittings attached to some hoses. Certain end fittings, which generally consist of the standard male and female "bayonet lug" style twist attachments, are removable, but there also exists several other types of permanently attached end fittings out there. (Actually, they are all removable, but some require tools or are a bit of an impractical ordeal to remove and reinstall, so I refer to them as "permanently attached.") Some of these fittings are the 45 degree or a 90 degree angled end fittings that may be attached to your hose. If you have these types of end fittings, and you find that they aren't the kind that just twist off the bayonet mounting lugs, then they may not fit inside those square sewer hose bumpers. Many owners have installed their own aftermarket sewer hose storage tubes, with most generally made from either square plastic fence posts or large black ABS plastic plumbing drain piping to store them in
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:07 AM   #12

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Stinky slinky hose brands

Have been using the light blue presto fit for over 20 years . 2 sets , never got holes in them just replaced with new every RV changeout . Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:38 AM   #13

Name: Ralph
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
The issue is length of the hose when compacted

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie_c View Post
I guess I was unclear. The issue is length of the hose when compacted to fit in the stock front holder. The heavier the gauge of plastic the longer it will be when compacted. The front holder on a Scamp 2007 is really short. A few brands will tell you the compacted length but most don't. Is there a brand with the fittings pre attached the will compact to fit the Scamp front holder?
cookie_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:44 AM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Ralph, would you consider taking that Fugly thing off the front of your Scamp and adding a holder to the rear... under the bumper area? A number of folks have done that (in fact I think new Scamps no longer have the tube mounted on the front). There are many different methods of making a stinky slinky tube holder. You'll then have many more options and lengths of sewer hoses you can buy/use.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:07 AM   #15

California
As well as we did on our Escape in rear ,besides their holder added a black ABS pipe strapped on bottom framing with plumbers tape to frame , to carry extra drain hose which sometimes you need . The drain hose original with trailer was very thin and as soon as got home trashed it . Purchased new Presto Fit hose. Pat
Old 02-25-2016, 11:21 AM   #16

Name: Maynard and Jacquie
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Registry
I bought a 2 section Camco kit with elbow at Walmart for around 28-29 dollars. The first time i used it the hose came apart from the connectors. I had to buy large hose clamps at the hardware store to keep it together. I was disappointed since this was a brand new hose. Lucky for me it was gray water coming out when it came apart. It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it.
Skytalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:27 AM   #17

California
When you use Presto fit hoses give them a twist after you push them together . Pat
Old 02-25-2016, 11:32 AM   #18

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Ralph, would you consider taking that Fugly thing off the front of your Scamp and adding a holder to the rear... under the bumper area? A number of folks have done that (in fact I think new Scamps no longer have the tube mounted on the front). There are many different methods of making a stinky slinky tube holder. You'll then have many more options and lengths of sewer hoses you can buy/use.
I removed the front holder as not only did it look strange sitting on the front of the trailer but it did not do the job well - did not hold the hose and the fittings.

Used a 4x4 fence post under the trailer - holds the hose and all the fittings. One of the top mods I have done to the trailer.

I have used various hose brands over the years and so far the RhinoFlex is my favourite due to how it is so easy to compact down in length. I have also learned over the years that dragging a hose on any surface is not a good thing as it will result in leaks. I pick it up when ever it needs moving no matter how short a distance or the surface it is on.
Attached Thumbnails
slinky hose holder2.jpg   slinkyhose 1.JPG  

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:32 PM   #19

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Ralph, would you consider taking that Fugly thing off the front of your Scamp and adding a holder to the rear... under the bumper area? ......
I'm doing that and I don't even have toilet or holding tank. For awning poles. I figure people will think I have a deluxe model with a bathroom when they see the holder on the back bumper.

Oh and hi Donna.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:35 PM   #20

Registry
I have a steel square tube rear bumper in which I carry a length of sewer hose.
I kept the front holder in which I carry a short maybe 6ft (custom cut to length) hose with an elbow on one end. I use the short hose alone with my blueboy and also when I can get close enough to the dump station inlet. When needed, the additional hose (15ft I think) from the bumper can be used alone or coupled to the short hose.
Attached Thumbnails
scamp pictures 005.jpg   DSCF0015.JPG  

DSCF0012.JPG