Storage - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2017, 06:10 PM   #1

Name: susan
Trailer: Casita
Arkansas
Storage

Awhhhh retiring!
June 2017, newbies traveling the U.S. in a 17' Casita Independence.
Hopefully traveling 6-8 weeks; home 6-8 weeks; repeat.
I need your best storage ideas! Closet? Under the bed?
Thanks for your input! Looking forward to hearing from you!
Arkansas Sue
ArkSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:21 PM   #2

Name: Glen
Trailer: Escape
Missouri
We have been out wit2016 Independence for seven weeks and have managed by taking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkSue View Post
Awhhhh retiring!
Arkansas Sue
We have been on the road for the last seven weeks in our 2016 Casita Independence and have relied on the space in our Nissan Frontier's truck box to store what we can't find room for in our Casita. What are you towing with?
Two Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:50 PM   #3

Arkansas
Glen,
Something similar to your tow vehicle. Shopping right now.
Have you made any modifications to the closet area?
Ark
Old 01-05-2017, 07:04 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Awhhhh retiring!
Arkansas Sue
When we first started traveling with a small travel trailer we had every possible nook and cranny stuffed with essentials. We had two large Coleco trunk containers full of stuff in the back of the truck and even had "important" stuff stored behind the seat in the truck.
15 years later we have more of what we need and only one small trunk for essentials in the back of the truck. Our cupboard space in our Scamp13 has some empty space and the under the bench space is no longer full.
Not saying you don't need a lot of stuff to take along, but probably not as much as you think.

To start with, look carefully at the space you have and think carefully about what you need.
Its like budgeting, on a reasonable budget you can have anything you want, you just can't have everything you want.

Notice how many Walmarts you pass along the way ... proof that much of what you need can be purchased as needed.
If you want to go bowling, use a houseball, if a sudden wedding pops up rent a tux, etc.
By the time you venture out for the third or fourth time you will know what you took and didn't use on earlier trips.
I know this does not address your question except to suggest that many good storage ideas may well be the basement, garage, closet and shed at home!
That being said , we converted our bed to a pedestal table and wraparound couch, the permanent bridge across the back gave us more seating and almost doubled our inside storage space.

It really will get easier as time goes by.
One good piece of advice would be to completely empty your trailer when you get home, then put back the stuff you used on the last trip, add back in the stuff you will realistically use next time, then put the stuff in the attic, basement, or closet that you didn't use on the last couple of trips.
Try to find items with more than one use, whether it is clothing, dishes or tools.
GOOD LUCK and congrats on your retirement.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:30 PM   #5

Arkansas
Thank you Floyd.
Good advice!
Ark
Old 01-05-2017, 07:33 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Sue
Consider yourself lucky, your trailer has the isle under seat storage doors. Mine is an early 2013 and I don't currently have isle access doors. I just installed side half shelves in the closet which were a great help. I built a storage box between the rear bed that replaces the rear center cushion (Copied Pack-Rat's box). I ordered the bath shelf fronts and two shelves from LHC these really help out a lot. Wal-Mart sells small white or black baskets that fit perfect in the side upper cabinets they let you organize and store small stuff. I am also going to build a 24" shelf all the way across the rear of the trailer.
Counter space will be an issue. I found a wire rack to sit on the sink that lets you run water in the sink or use the sink as counter space. I just bought a queen foam mattress from Amazon to make two bed mattress to fit the Indy. I tried self inflating air mattresses for the bed, it worked but just more stuff to deal with. The paper towel holder is an issue in the Indy. We found one from Bed Bath and Beyond that really works great and does not unroll going down the road.
Good Luck
Eddie
http://www.rvwidgetworks.com/
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...e-2pk/16224496
https://www.amazon.com/Kamenstein-Pe...r+towel+holder
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:56 PM   #7

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Congratulations on your retirement! I stocked up with food for breakfast, lunchs and dinners on our first trip and only wound up eating instant oatmeal for 1 meal- everything else was eaten out. I second the idea to pack light(as a former ultralight backpacker) and agree almost everything you want could probably be picked up somewhere on the road.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:27 PM   #8

Name: Glen
Trailer: Escape
Missouri
Storage mods

Quote:
Glen,
Something similar to your tow vehicle. Shopping right now.
Have you made any modifications to the closet area?
Ark
Yes, we added three wire baskets under the upper cupboards ( these can easily be put up and down as they slide into hollow plastic tracks used for flush mounting electrical wire -- these are attached to the fiberglass surface using two sided Gorilla Tape -- all of the materials were sourced from Walmart).

In addition we have added a number of plastic bins to the wall surfaces for storing cell phones, etc again using the two sided tape, or Command tape.

The bathroom has a lot of space for various bins and such and we constructed a frame to hold extra shelves out of half inch copper plumbing pipe and junctions wrapped with the tensor bandage used for horses feet -- to stop the pipes from scratching the fiberglass.
Two Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:40 AM   #9

Arkansas
Thank you! Good info!
ARK
Old 01-06-2017, 07:46 AM   #10

Arkansas
Thank you! My husband agrees! I tend to over-pack.
ARK
Old 01-06-2017, 07:48 AM   #11

Arkansas
Thank you for the links Eddie!
ARK
Old 01-06-2017, 08:33 AM   #12

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
We hung a cargo net under the rear cabinet. Handy for clothing that is not quite past expiration date. It's the kind folks use to corral groceries in the back of SUVs.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:55 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
FYI.
Stackable Light-Duty Storage Bins - Lee Valley Tools
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 9.50.57 AM.jpg  
Old 01-07-2017, 06:55 AM   #14

Arkansas
Thanks Glenn!
Old 01-07-2017, 08:46 AM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I tried, and failed, to find the picture, but I saw a Casita where the owner had installed shelves in the curved part of the front closet to the right of the door, but left the center open for hanging clothes. Of course, if you don't need to hang clothes, you could build full width shelves in there. Either way, lips on the edges of shelves help keep stuff from sliding off in transit.

If you are using the beds in twin configuration, a plastic drawer unit under the back window between the beds would make a nice nightstand. Attach a tray on top to corral small items. Set it on the floor for travel with the drawers turned around so they don't slide out.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:54 AM   #16

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
I'm in a somewhat different situation... I set my Burro up at the campground of "Fort Shenandoah" for several weeks at a time then commute back and forth 3 1/2 hours when we have a competition. My guns and ammo as well as perishables travel back and forth with me but I leave clean, ready to use clothes hanging in the closet or folded with clean linens etc in a soft storage bag on the bed. The rear table bed combo stays made up as a bed and I am planning on using a couple of large plastic totes that will fit in the foot space under the table - bed to replace the soft bag and for linen, toiletries, etc. The built-in kitchen cabinets are overfilled with eating-related stuff, but my Winter goal is to trim down and eliminate stuff that doesn't really get used.

I wrote all of this down to emphasize a couple of points. First, you need to plan for what your activities will require and gather up the stuff needed for those things. Second, "think outside the box" about both type and location of storage, there is probably more available space than you would think. Third, you will probably be able cut out unnecessary items after a trip or two and pick up newly discovered needs along the way... just try to eliminate un-needed items as you add new ones!

Regards,
Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:37 PM   #17

Arkansas
Jon,
Interesting about the built-in shelves.
Thank you!
ARK
Old 01-07-2017, 08:38 PM   #18

Arkansas
Froggie,
I agree. It will probably take us a couple of trips to figure out what we need.
Thank you for your input!
ARK
Old 01-08-2017, 06:25 AM   #19

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Wife and I were just talking about storage do's and don't yesterday.
I think that people think they NEED everything when in reality they can get away with very little.
Unless your traveling with a family (which we are not) we can get away with 3 changes of cloths. you'll have to go to laundry-mats anyway.
One set of cookware...one set of silverware, dinnerware set for 2.
If you meet friends and want the over have them bring thier own.
The biggest thing is Food for us...
Wife want to bring all the food we have in the pantry/fridge and freezer from home but I say "if we stayed home we would be shopping once a week so we can shop on the road too.
Even with the small fridge in the Boler 13 we can go a week.
So it's not a matter of storage but just do not take what you do not need.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:36 AM   #20

Arkansas
Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
Wife and I were just talking about storage do's and don't yesterday.
I think that people think they NEED everything when in reality they can get away with very little.
Unless your traveling with a family (which we are not) we can get away with 3 changes of cloths. you'll have to go to laundry-mats anyway.
One set of cookware...one set of silverware, dinnerware set for 2.
If you meet friends and want the over have them bring thier own.
The biggest thing is Food for us...
Wife want to bring all the food we have in the pantry/fridge and freezer from home but I say "if we stayed home we would be shopping once a week so we can shop on the road too.
Even with the small fridge in the Boler 13 we can go a week.
So it's not a matter of storage but just do not take what you do not need.

I like the tip about company bringing their own dinnerware!
All good!
Thank you!
ARK

P.S. And look! I figured out how to reply!