Storage bin on hitch... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2020, 07:07 PM   #1

Name: paul
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Storage bin on hitch...

Hi all.

I am permanently removing the propane tank (and stove) from my 13' Trillium and instead mounting a storage bin on the hitch. I'm worried that drilling the vertical 3/16" holes into the top and bottom of the frame for the mounting hardware may weaken the hitch/frame. (Eight holes in total - four on top and four on the bottom). I realize I could use "U" bolts – but drilling would look much cleaner.

Am I being overly paranoid? Anyone have any experiences with drilling into the frame?
paul paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:17 AM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
if you are unsure about drilling the frame, you could get brackets welded on the inside of the frame and drill those.

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:49 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
Quote:
Am I being overly paranoid? Anyone have any experiences with drilling into the frame?
no, you're not. while i've done it and haven't suffered (yet) but, i do think it's a bad idea to put additional holes in a somewhat small frame section. welding a couple small tabs and bolting your box thru that sounds easy and prudent.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:27 AM   #4

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
A hole on the top would slightly weaken the frame, but not a great deal. A place for rust to start would be a concern as well. Welding on the side might be a stress riser also.
A tab bent at right angles would let you drill a hole at the 1/2 way point down the side of the frame where there is no bending forces. Still could rust so if you do this be sure to repaint the hole. Putting the screws in with wet primer is not a bad idea either.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:43 AM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I’d go with u bolts
The more holes you drill the weaker the frame and more prone to rust
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:37 PM   #6

British Columbia
The storage bin installed...

I went with angle aluminum on the inside of the frame... using two existing holes and drilling two new ones. The bin is a DeeZee made from heavy plastic and cost about $200 Cdn. I reinforced its bottom with 1/4" plywood.

I'll just put a small padlock on it so hopefully thieves clue in that it doesn't contain any valuables. I intend on using it as my "mud room"... a place to put wheel chocks, jacks, dirty boots, hose, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4230.JPG   IMG_4233.jpg  

IMG_4234.jpg   IMG_4235.jpg  

Old 07-24-2020, 11:49 AM   #7

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
looks good
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:04 PM   #8

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
My Scamp 16 had a propane tank mounting bracket on the tongue w/ 2 bolts through the frame holding it down. I removed the tank bracket, and installed a big plastic box (65 gal, $50 @ Lowe’s), and put the tank bracket/20lb tank inside the box. Used the same 2 bolt holes. Works great but not as pretty as Paul’s setup. But it’s tall enough for the lp tank. Holds all that dirty stuff: levelers, jacks, tools, firewood, trash, etc. The holes have been there since 2007 with no problems.
Doc.Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:29 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Storage bin on hitch...

I really like it, but need the propane for the fridge. Would a 25# propane tank fit inside it? I would also consider putting the battery inside it.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:02 PM   #10

Name: Cate & Dan
Trailer: 1976 Triple E SurfSide "The Mutt Hut"
Manitoba
I put a heavy duty plastic tool box on the front of our surfside similar to the plastic l box shown. Put it on by positioning it where I wanted, having a helper hold it and drilling through the box from the bottom. Used U bolts with square corners around the frame and up into the box with nuts and large washers on the inside. Inside I placed a piece of wood and the bolts thread through this as well. Did this to reinforce the plastic so it would not crack. Acts like a clamp and spreads the tension of the bolt. Put a little piece of rubber cut from an old hose around the U bolt itself so it doesn't rub the frame and cause vibration wear. Lock tite on the bolt end inside and that sucker does not move. The tool box is not as pretty as an actual tongue box but it was loads cheaper and is roomier for being rectangular. Also had a lock already as well as padlock holes. I'd show a picture but I have it off the trailer because of sanding for paint. Point is NO HOLES in the frame!
Old Macdonalds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:08 AM   #11

British Columbia
My trailer didn't have a fridge - so my goal was to eliminate the propane system entirely. I was also trying to keep as much weight off the hitch as possible because it's hard on my cars suspension. I positioned my battery just behind the axle under the bench. I made a wooden box to hold it in place.

The bin I installed is plastic and I suspect that heavy weight inside might take a toll over time. This was the reason I put a wooden base inside it. I think it's large enough that you could put a tank and battery inside.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:32 PM   #12

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I know that when I removed the dual propane bottle bracket from my Scamp I discovered how rotten and thin the tongue metal was. Previous holes in the top had let water in which settled in the tube and rusted it from the inside.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:13 PM   #13

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Looks good
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:43 AM   #14

Name: Rob
Trailer: 1975 Triple E Surfside
Alberta
Registry
There's a reason propane tanks are either on the tongue or in a sealed compartment. They must breath through the bottom.. propane sinks if there is a leak.. And batteries can give of fumes and need a way to vent as well.
Old 11-14-2020, 11:44 PM   #15

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul paquette View Post
so my goal was to eliminate the propane system entirely. I was also trying to keep as much weight off the hitch as possible because it's hard on my cars suspension. I positioned my battery just behind the axle under the bench. I made a wooden box to hold it in place.
Which begs the question, do you know the total weight of the trailer or the tongue weight. Even small trailers can get sway, and go out of control, and single axle ones are worse than tandems in that respect. Be very careful about getting the tongue too light, you want that 12-13% on the tongue.

Charles