Storage compartment - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2016, 07:49 AM   #1

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
Storage compartment

Hi all,
We are looking for a good quality access hatch to install on the sides of our trillium. The space under the dinette seats are just too difficult to get to from the inside. What is the best brand to install on a fiberglass trailer? Where to find them? I have found some at marine outlets, but boat stuff always seems more expensive than rv stuff. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
Hi all,
We are looking for a good quality access hatch to install on the sides of our trillium. The space under the dinette seats are just too difficult to get to from the inside. What is the best brand to install on a fiberglass trailer? Where to find them? I have found some at marine outlets, but boat stuff always seems more expensive than rv stuff. Thanks!

There are many suppliers of cabinet access doors, but here's one to get you started.
Kinro: Industry leader in Recreational Vehicle and Manfactured Housing doors and windows.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:35 PM   #3

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I installed one in the curb side of my Scamp. It was NOS bought off eBay. I actually bought one too big the first time. Was more patient and found one just the right size the next time. It was a one-off deal and I have not seen another one like it. The one I got was perfect both in size and with rounded corners. I really wanted the rounded corners to reduce the chance of a fatigue inducing right angle cut (actually four of them) in the fiberglass shell where none existed before. I really like the mod and the access it provides to this otherwise inaccessible area. The curve of the body added some challenge but was not nearly the problem I feared. The tape seal more than took care of the small amount of curvature. That and I clamped the %$&*(#$ out of the frame while installing it to make it conform to the shell.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:22 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I got mine in my local classifieds. I regularly saw some up for sale, but I was looking for a specific size that would fit the trailer, long and narrow, like about up to 38" wide but no more than about 14" high . Then one day I found one that's 36X11, perfect fit, from some guy selling parts of an old motorhome he was dismantling. Got the door and frame assembly for $25.
I haven't installed it yet (too busy right now to work on the trailer).

I also checked with my local RV dealership. They could only get replacement hatches for existing RVs. They needed first the RV model and year, then they could lookup their catalog and order the hatch for that RV. They can't just simply order a standard 36X11 RV hatch like that. Too simple...
If you can order directly from a manufacturer or distributor, at a fair price, that's great. I couldn't find a good deal on my side of the border.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:56 PM   #5

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
For me, ebay was the way to go as well. I am just in the process of installing one on the side of my Ventura so I can move the portable water containers in and out and easily access all other water related parts that are in the sink cabinet.
I was able to find one just the right size (22x24 inches) for 29.00.
It is sturdy and rounded corners. It is does not adhere to the vintage aesthetic but it works for me.
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:48 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
My compact has them on both sides.. I shoved some stuff in there when I was up there in July and I agree it's nice having them..
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:49 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
And the other side
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:59 AM   #8

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
Thank you everyone who responded! I was wondering if there was something specific I should buy, but now I know that there is a variety to choose from. I just need something that will fit under the bulge in the side that Trilliums have.
Have a great day, Marjie.

Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote