storage crates? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2011, 12:36 PM   #1

Name: nancy
Trailer: in the market
Alabama
storage crates?

would like to know what size
(width ,height, n length) of storage crates are best to use ?also ,how many can be used in a 17ft n a 19 ft fifth wheel? thank-you very much trying very hard to get things ready so if n when it happened i will be ready to go
purplepisces0316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Nancy, I'd suggest you wait. The space needed will be different for each brand of trailer. You're liable to end up buying something you can't use. I know you're trying to get prepared, but sometimes waiting is the best preparation.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I agree with Donna. Wait until you have your little egg, and then fill it up with what actually fits. It will be sooooo much fun!
Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:28 PM   #4

Alabama
ty donna n karalyn i appreciate it very much
Old 12-27-2011, 09:45 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Even within the same brand, storage spaces can vary in number and size somewhat. After I bought my trailer I started looking for storage containers that would fit the various cubbies, and I managed to find things that fit tightly enough that they don't bounce against the doors and fly out in travel. I can't imagine doing this without having the trailer itself to eyeball and measure the spaces.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0649.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	41979

Name:	IMG_0651.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	41980

Name:	IMG_0650.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	41981
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:21 AM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Storage

I'm a big storage nut and understand your desire to muse about what and where. Before we began RVing and were in the rig shopping mode, I began by making a list of things I thought we needed by category, trying to value what we needed and how much of it.

I believe it's critical that you have a easy to get at place for the 80% of the stuff you use regularly.

The other 20%, the rarely used but needed stuff, needs a place but not necessarily easy to get at.

If you haven't been a small RVer it's not easy to figure out what's minimally needed. Thinking about it is a fun exercise and worthwhile exercise.

Have fun...

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:58 AM   #7

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842
I'm a big storage nut and understand your desire to muse about what and where. Before we began RVing and were in the rig shopping mode, I began by making a list of things I thought we needed by category, trying to value what we needed and how much of it.

I believe it's critical that you have a easy to get at place for the 80% of the stuff you use regularly.

The other 20%, the rarely used but needed stuff, needs a place but not necessarily easy to get at.

If you haven't been a small RVer it's not easy to figure out what's minimally needed. Thinking about it is a fun exercise and worthwhile exercise.

Have fun...
I second this. We made a list of what we thought we needed, prioritized it and tried to designate areas for each before we got our Bigfoot. Once we got our camper we took measurements of where bins could improve efficiency, ease of use etc... and went shopping. We haven't camped in the Bigfoot yet so we are holding back on getting more containers until we are mostly sure about where everything will end up.

My biggest gripe with the manufacturer websites is you can't see what lurks behind each cabinet door, under the dinette etc... Cubic foot storage specifications are useless. In our 25 foot Bigfoot there are only 3 cabinets our coffee maker will fit in. It's rather tall but the best one we have ever owned so it's going, at least at first. The little placement changes like that forces several other changes...

Now, I have seen very creative clothing storage through stacked bins. Not stacked with openings to pull clothing out but same size stacked inside one another to utilize the lost space, no lids. Think of one with socks, another container stacked inside like storing them empty with under wear, another... You would have to pull them all out to get to clothing but that's the trade to gain that space. You could just fill each bin with assorted items but that depends on your level of OCD!

-John
John Fazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #8

Alabama
mike ,norm,ginny ,n john ;i do greatly appreciate all ur input .it means very much to me ,i have been thinking of all the important things that r needed to go .also things that r not needed like many dress clothes yes i would keep a few n pack away but if needed i would have them .i know some would say but later they may not fit so i get them out ck n if they dont buy a new one to replace that one n of course get rid of it.also i have a dog who needs clothes n some crafts n these r the hardest .trying to figure which ones i really want to keep i cant take them all ,lol.but its is my choice to stay in a small one ,so as they say "somethings gotta give " lol.ty all again rackin my brain a long time so ill keep on rackin.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:07 AM   #9

Trailer: Boler 1984
i have a dog who needs clothes n some crafts

I'm curious. What kind of crafts does your dog do?
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:19 AM   #10

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepisces0316 View Post
mike ,norm,ginny ,n john ;i do greatly appreciate all ur input .it means very much to me ,i have been thinking of all the important things that r needed to go .also things that r not needed like many dress clothes yes i would keep a few n pack away but if needed i would have them .i know some would say but later they may not fit so i get them out ck n if they dont buy a new one to replace that one n of course get rid of it.also i have a dog who needs clothes n some crafts n these r the hardest .trying to figure which ones i really want to keep i cant take them all ,lol.but its is my choice to stay in a small one ,so as they say "somethings gotta give " lol.ty all again rackin my brain a long time so ill keep on rackin.
We're planning on going fulltime and I will be working from the road so we'll be taking a few dress clothes too. We have a shirt closet that may work but when we were looking at smaller campers I thought an underbed storage container would work very well for dress clothes. I'm not sure what your tow vehicle will be but something like that can go in the back of the vehicle, possibly even under other stuff or under a custom (homemade) platform.

We have two dogs, one is 60 lbs and the other is 11 lbs. We bought four totes for under the couch so one may become theirs. I plan on bringing their Pet Taxi and keeping it in the tow vehicle, broken down with two large totes it in. Their food is the real challenge but I think the current food container we have will fit against the back wall next to our bed. I might get a different daily use food container that can hold a weeks worth to make it a little easier. The great thing is dogs don't care like we do so their stuff can be crammed anywhere.

-John
John Fazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #11

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

Have fun...
Good idea Norm and even useful after you get your trailer.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Time time time

We've been using our Scamp for about 6 years now. We're still looking at ways to make things easier and more convenient.
One of the things I'm really glad we did was to wait until the Scamp arrived. Then I measured cupboards. I haunted dollar stores, WalMart, and other Marts until I found what appeared to be the right sizes. I was most concerned about the overhead cabinets in kitchen, I didn't want things that would bang against the doors and open them while traveling. I found just the right size bin at the Dollar Store to keep stuff but still easily accessible.
You not only have to determine space but weight. Overhead cabinets need to kept light, heavy stuff lower.

Clothing seems to be one that causes a lot of angst. We solved the clothing issue by hanging jackets and such in the closet. The rest went into two duffel bags with some zippered outside pockets, one for Anne and one for me. Those sit on top of the wheel well in the closet.

Other things to think about...
Multiple use.. Can you use an item for multiple things. People carry coffee pots, a lot space taken up for only one use. We make our coffee with cone and a old old stove top pot.
I made a cutting board that fits over the sink, which does double duty as a sink cove to increase counter space.
Lightweight and small...
Sauce pans... We use the same ones we used for backpacking, small but big enough for our needs. No handles, and two pots stack nicely.
Cooking utensils... I believe in the Dollar Store I found a small set, spoon, slotted spoon and spatula. Small enough for the silverware drawer.

We still haunt some of the outdoor stores checking out backpacking equipment for ideas to keep things small and light, but still functional.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #13

Alabama
james ,my dog dances n helps me make her clothes. LOL tim n john yes i have been thinking lots bout all this wish i could get the trail now but other things need to be taking care of before i commit but i am willing to down size as much as possible .it will help in the end if i do that now n redownsize again when i have the trailer.plus it will let me know how bad i want or need things that are gone that i once had.ty again everybody nancy
Old 12-29-2011, 05:54 AM   #14

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepisces0316 View Post
would like to know what size
(width ,height, n length) of storage crates are best to use ?also ,how many can be used in a 17ft n a 19 ft fifth wheel? thank-you very much trying very hard to get things ready so if n when it happened i will be ready to go

What you can do, that would be very good use of time, would be to start collecting pots, pans, plates, silverware, blankets, sleeping bags, pie irons, outdoor stove, water carboys, rain gear, ..........................
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote