Storing 13' Scamp...I'm so confused!! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #21

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I don't worry about the axle. I worry about the tires. I jack it up by the frame close to the axle as I can and support it there. I jack it enough to reduce the tire bulge but not lift the tire off the pavement. I am reducing the load not removing it. I then deploy the stabilizers and front jack and make the trailer level. I feel it is important to reduce stress on the sidewall on the tires. I make sure it is stabilized but not unnecessary force in the frame. I want the door to stay in its original position and not be stressing anything. In my opinion if the door is not in the same position it was when the trailer is just sitting on its tires You are over loading and racking the structure. Most of the small fiberglass trailers I have seen use such lightweight frames that suspending them by the stabilizers with the tires off the ground will probably do them much more harm than good. Best put support on the frame close to the axle where the frame is designed to carry the weight.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:29 PM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn bertagnole View Post
So many comments! Here is mine. I ALWAYS use the rear support stands, camping as well as long term storage. They should have come with 2 long steel rods that you may insert so that they will not slip and fall but I have never had this happen.
I use my rear bumper jacks all the time for stabilizing the trailer as well but never would put enough force on them to actually raise the trailer.. Would be worried about twisting the frame if I was to do that.

I had never heard of the jack rob (I only have one) being left in the holes in the jacks to stop it from slipping or failing, have never seen it done either. I always thought the bar was only for snugging up the jacks one notch as it is suggested in the Scamp manual and on their on line owners manual video (choosing a spot). Would think that if you think you have to leave the rod in the jack to stop it from collapsing (dropping back down), if that is what you mean by "slip and fall" then you probable have way to much force on the jack.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #23

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I use stabs while camping for just tgst, stabilizing. I believe owners manual cautions about using then as jacks, but I may be wrong. I use jack stands proper to relieve weight in axle during the winter, and mount them near axle on frame, not in axle. I put two near front as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:12 PM   #24

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
I use stabs while camping for just tgst, stabilizing. I believe owners manual cautions about using then as jacks, but I may be wrong.
Your not wrong
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp