Stove Hood air flow problem - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: U-Haul
Georgia
Registry
Stove Hood air flow problem

Well it looks like I found the reason the fan didn't seem to move much air!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3230373162.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	66234

Wasps and a few Mud Daubers!!!! Well,they have been evicted and cooking inside or at least warming up some water will not wet the inside of the walls as bad.

Now to cut me a small piece of screen wire to go behind the lovers to prevent any more squatters!
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Chris, even with a clear vent, I was totally unimpressed with that hood/fan. I took the hood right out and passed it on to another camper owner. I left the vent on the outside, and cover the hole inside with a cork board
Good point about the mud daubers. I'll make sure that I have the back of that thing blocked off.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We had a problem with the wind pushing rain in through the outside louvers. First thing I did was modify a plastic vent hood to cover the louvers. Just recently I removed the whole stove vent assembly, and the stove, pulled the outside louvers off in order to remove the piece that protrudes in through the wall, made a solid rubber gasket to seal the hole and put the louver cover back on. Covered the inside opening with a small picture plaque. Cut off the propane tank bracket and installed a storage box on the tongue. The wasps really liked our old swamp cooler before I removed it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #4

Georgia
Registry
If you still have that mount I would be interested in a second one if you are willing to ship it off to Ga. Shoot me a PM if you are interested. I am looking for the part with the tank loop and the I bolt that attaches it to the stand on the trailer. But if you have the stand part I would be interested in it too.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #5

New York
Chris; at this time we are keeping any parts that we have removed from our Uhaul. Reason being the possibility of selling it at some future time and the next owner wanting to restore it to original. I removed the tank bracket with one straight cut so it could easily be welded back. The platform for my tongue box is bolted on, no welds, and no holes drilled in the tongue, so that is easily removed. Worst thing I have done to mess up restoring to original is enlarging the opening where the ice box was to install a dorm fridge, but that could be fixed with some trim pieces. I do have some of the swamp cooler parts I would sell, but I can't see where those things are worth bothering with. We'll be in GA for the winter, but on the coast near Brunswick.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:05 PM   #6

Georgia
Registry
Thanks. If you change your Ming I will be here. Have never been to the coast of Ga but do love the Space Coast in Fla each year for vacation in Cocoa Beach.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Chris, I used one of these. They do make them in colonel white.

RV Range Hood Exterior Vent Cover Polar White 22 | eBay
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #8

Georgia
Registry
I like that. Might let the air flow a little better than the original as well.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #9

New York
I used the outer part of that range hood as a rain deflector over the original Uhaul louverd vent to keep rain from blowing in. It requires a larger hole than the original Uhaul vent, so it's not a direct fit. I wouldn't recommend it as the opening in the range hood is still going to be small.