Stove won't light...... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Stove won't light......

Hi, just started cleaning up the trailer today, and wanted to heat up some water to wash down the inside. I checked the propane tank, turned it on, then turned on one burner for 30 or so seconds. I lit a match, but discovered I had no gas coming out of the burner.I tried this with all 3 burners, and got nothing. I fired up the fridge, and furnace with no problems, and can't figure out what is going on with the stove. Is there anybody out there who knows what the issue is? I did not shut off anything other than the propane tank last fall.

Thanks for your help, the sun is shining and I wanna go camping
Dawn
Dawn K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:52 PM   #2

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
water or debris can get into the line from dirty propane. if the line can be removed at the stove, and the regulator, it can be blown out with compressed air. Can the refer, and the heater be separated from the stove line? I can turn the line off at the tank, and at a a valve before it goes into the three pieces you wrote about, if I disconnected the line at this point, and the regulator, I could see if there is something in the line. If it blows clean, I can check the stove line at the air intake to see if a mud dauber or a paper wasp, has filled the opening. remove the top cover and find the connection where the air intake is and check it out. All in all I think I would start here first. Good luck!!!

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:09 PM   #3

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
What do you mean by "checked the tank"? Did you pull the hose off of it, and see if anything came out of the tank? If it has a gauge, I wouldn't rely on one that sat all winter, could be stuck, and the tank empty. The regulator could also be stuck.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
He lit a match,
To check the tank,
And now,
They call him,
Skinless Frank

- Burmashave
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:38 PM   #5

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Since the other appliances work that pretty much isolates the problem to something from the point the propane line branches off from the other feeds. The gas is under quite low pressure. It's not uncommon for bits of rust etc. to flake off and the path to the burner elements is blocked.

The first thing that I'd try is to tap on the line to the stove with the end of a screwdriver or a small hard object. If that doesn't get gas going then probably the only solution is to undo the line at the tee and blow it out. If tapping frees up the line it would also be good to blow it out.
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:49 PM   #6

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Oops, missed that everything else worked. Ignore me, do what ron said.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:22 AM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Try again, sometimes it can take longer than you think to get gas through a line that has been empty. Keep a flame at the burner while you have the stove valve on. In regard to propane issues, Good Sam's Highways magazine had a good article on propane appliances including testing in their June/July 2012 issue.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:48 AM   #8

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Turn everything off. Now turn on the stove and listen. If you hear it than it is fine and you just need to bleed the air out of the line. I can't believe that your line could become clogged over one winter while none of the other appliances are affected.
Good Luck
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Thanks everybody, after leaving the propane tanks shut off and the stove burners turned on over night, when I went this afternoon to check, I turned the gas tank on, went into the trailer and I could definitely hear the gas getting through. Everything lit as it should, and I am good to go again. Possibly moisture in the line? That's a first for me.....but with the weather supposed to be going up to 17C over the weekend, I'm now ready to go.
Dawn K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light