Stovetop finish - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2009, 12:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
I have searched around on different forums here and haven't found anyone who has done the stupid thing that I have done so I'm looking for advice: The chrome stovetop on the original 83 was rusted and pitted. Rust cleaner I used made it look worse, went to black. I took guy at HD's advice and sanded with fine grade, used primed, sanded more, used spray paint for metal, couple of coats. Ha! One trip and those grates floated around the finish, taking it completely off in some areas, just scratched in others. Looks terrrible. Should I look for a new stovetop or can I salvage this? I have seen on one of our forums here the suggestion of using high heat engine paint but it seemed more people had poor results with it than had good results. Also read about powder coating. Anyone have experience with this? Other methods of recoating the chrome stovetop? Thanks in advance for any help!
Karin
KarinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:39 PM   #2

Registry
Epoxy paint
http://www.nothingbuthardware.com/785532.html

Name:   785532.gif
Views: 57
Size:  4.9 KB

Attached Images

Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:35 PM   #3

[quote]Epoxy paint
http://www.nothingbuthardware.com/785532.html

Attachment 21737

Thank you! Surely Home Depot sells this? I'll check and use this online source if not . . .
Old 07-16-2009, 02:41 PM   #4

Registry
If not at Home Depot try your local hardware store.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:30 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984
KarenP
Ours was a mess, so I took it into the house and placing it in the kitchen sink, I sprayed it with oven cleaner and waited about 15 minutes. Then I scrubbed it with a plastic scrubby. [or was that an SOS pad? It's been a few years.] It came up looking like new. I have been asked several times if I had it recromed.
Try it. What can you lose?
If that doesn't work try a high heat enamel.
Jim
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:00 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Mine was pretty nasty too. I scrubbed it and then used Maguiar's metal polish on it. People always comment on how good it looks.

I have never heard of good results with paint either. I know several people here have had the tops powder coated and like it.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:35 PM   #7

Trailer: 79 Boler 17 ft
Hey Karin

Get it Re-Chromed. It will, however cost you about a hundred bucks, if not more. This is what I did. Never have to worry again. Re-chroming was cheaper than buying a new stove.

Kevin.
KevinDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:32 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler 17 ft 1977 / 04 Explorer Sport Trac
Quote:
Hey Karin

Get it Re-Chromed. It will, however cost you about a hundred bucks, if not more. This is what I did. Never have to worry again. Re-chroming was cheaper than buying a new stove.

Kevin.
This is what I did too.
Look at it before mod,
Click image for larger version

Name:	poele.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	21874
then after painting with high temp paint :

Name:	poeleapres.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	21877
. Finishing was scrapped after one season.
Now, after Rechroming :

Name:	DessusPoele.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	21875
. The cost was as Kevin said. And after 5 years, it is still like a new one.
Raymond Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:35 AM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Also read about powder coating. Anyone have experience with this? Other methods of recoating the chrome stovetop? Thanks in advance for any help!
Karin
Karin,

We just had the top of our stove powder coated. The deepest pits still show but are not so noticeable as to be bothersome. The finish is thick and glossy and hides a lot. We also had the side rails and back trim done at the same time. Prices here in CA are steeper than elsewhere. We paid $100 total. Call a motorcycle repair shop for the name of a good powder coating facility and negotiate the price. If the price is firm ask if more pieces can be done at the same time for the same price. Cash may get a discount...

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
stove_top_1.jpg   stove_top_2.jpg  

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:12 PM   #10

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
I used Rust-OleumHammered Metal Enamel on mine and it looks great.
There's even a neat tour that explains more.

ConwayBob
Old 07-20-2009, 09:18 PM   #11

Trailer: 92 Bigfoot 13.5 ft / 05 Freestar
Quote:
I have searched around on different forums here and haven't found anyone who has done the stupid thing that I have done so I'm looking for advice: The chrome stovetop on the original 83 was rusted and pitted. Rust cleaner I used made it look worse, went to black. I took guy at HD's advice and sanded with fine grade, used primed, sanded more, used spray paint for metal, couple of coats. Ha! One trip and those grates floated around the finish, taking it completely off in some areas, just scratched in others. Looks terrrible. Should I look for a new stovetop or can I salvage this? I have seen on one of our forums here the suggestion of using high heat engine paint but it seemed more people had poor results with it than had good results. Also read about powder coating. Anyone have experience with this? Other methods of recoating the chrome stovetop? Thanks in advance for any help!
Karin
I've tried the spray bomb high heat route with no successs. Now I'm going to try ceramid coating done by a local shop. This coating is used on exhaust pipes and headers so it should withstand the heat. You can have it any color you want as long as it's black for about $60.
Bill
Bill F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:53 PM   #12

Trailer: Tent
All else fails buy a replacement...RVSalvage
Old 07-21-2009, 12:41 PM   #13

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I have the same issue... thinking of sending it to be powder coated. the place I called said they do a lt grey daily and If that was OK with me it would cost less than $50. good forever then
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:18 PM   #14

Quote:
I used Rust-OleumHammered Metal Enamel on mine and it looks great.
There's even a neat tour that explains more.

ConwayBob

How has it held up Bob? I worry about the heavy cast iron grates that sit on it. They ravaged my paint finish in one 3-hour drive. I could travel with them off but don't want the complication!
Old 07-22-2009, 12:26 PM   #15

Trailer: Compact Jr
How does the powder coating hold up to heat? I was under the impression that it's really just a plastic.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:09 PM   #16

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
I had all the exposed mental in my 17' Boler powder coated for around$100CAD. The stove top had no problem with heat but we learned quickly that we had to remove the grills while on the road or they would rub and eventually would damage the powder coating. I highly recommend this method if re-chroming isn't an option.
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote