Straight or curved, PVC or aluminum awning rail - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2018, 01:10 PM   #1

Name: Bonnie
Trailer: Trillium
New York
Straight or curved, PVC or aluminum awning rail

Hi All, I have a 1976 Trillium 1300 that doesn't have an awning rail. I would like to install a rope and pole awning to keep it more retro. Can anyone tell me what awning rail that you used? There are different width's...Too many out there!
camping granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:10 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
I didn't use an awning rail.

I purchased one of the ARB awnings and installed it.

ARB Awning 2500 (814101)
Trill136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:12 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Bonnie, for the type of awning you're wanting a Keder rail would be the best choice. Most of the awning rails are the aluminum Keder rail. Those have a side view of a lower case "b" with part of the b section removed for the awning to slide in. They can be installed with rivets, bolts or HVB tape. They can also take a slight bend to fit the shell.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:57 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping granny View Post
Hi All, I have a 1976 Trillium 1300 that doesn't have an awning rail. I would like to install a rope and pole awning to keep it more retro. Can anyone tell me what awning rail that you used? There are different width's...Too many out there!
Sailrite has everything you need. Just butt two of the plastic rails end to end and cut to length. Mount with 3M VHB tape. Their Keder sewable rope works better than the vinyl version.

https://www.sailrite.com/search?keywords=rope%20awning

https://www.sailrite.com/search?keywords=keder%20rail

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:00 AM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
[QUOTE=tractors1;713247]Sailrite has everything you need. Just butt two of the plastic rails end to end and cut to length. Mount with 3M VHB tape. Their Keder sewable rope works better than the vinyl version.

While I've bought a lot of stuff from Sailright, and they are a good company, I personally would, (and did,) opt to install an extruded aluminum Keder rail as opposed to the plastic one. It's just me, but I've never been a big fan of plastic anything, especially for something that would have to endure the occasional big gust without damaging it. I installed a 7.5 ft aluminum one with 1/4" X 20 stainless nuts and bolts on 1' centers, with fender washers and nylock nuts inside. I mounted it at the level which puts all the mounting bolts inside the upper cabinets, so none of them show. I'm 6'2" and I can stand up under it, but it's still low enough to thread the removable awning in by hand without a ladder or stool.
Attached Thumbnails
Keder Rail2.JPG   Keder Rail3.JPG  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning