Straightening a piano hinge? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2017, 02:04 PM   #1

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Straightening a piano hinge?

The door hinge on my Ventura is an industrial piano hinge. I do not know if that is original. The hinge is bent and tight so that it does not close well at all. Is it possible to loosen and straighten this type of hinge? If so, how?
If I cannot do it myself, what type of repair person/business would I look for to do this kind of work?
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 02:54 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Is the door also ? If so, just a hinge will not fix the situation. Photos would help.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 03:05 PM   #3

Ontario
I have taken the frame out of the doorway and am just manipulating the hinge itself which is attached by rivets to the metal door frame. It should easily lay flat against the door frame in what would be the door closed position but it does not. It has to be forced and manually held in place. The frame is straight, as far as I can see.
I will take pictures and post them.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:40 PM   #4

Ontario
Pics

Hard to get pictures of the hinge but you might be able to get an idea.
The rusted area is from the bottom of the door and there is also some bending of the hinge in that area. You can also see how out of line the sections of the hinge are. They are like that for the whole length
Hope someone has some ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2680.jpg   IMG_2683.jpg  

IMG_2690.jpg  
Old 03-05-2017, 09:14 PM   #5

Washington
It looks like a very common hinge. Home depot or Amazon would be good sources. Amazon lists a new stainless steel hinge 6 feet long for $27. A nickel plated steel would be less. Not sure what length you need but they can be cut to whatever you need . I suspect the door may be bent or the door was forced too far open.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:48 PM   #6

Ontario
It is a 3" hinge and thicker than the ones normally found at hardware stores. I have searched the internet and have not been able to find one.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:57 PM   #7

Washington
Check WW Grainger on line. they list several 3''.in regular steel and stainless.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:25 PM   #8

Ontario
Jack, thank you so much. There is actually an Ackland Grainger outlet fairly close to me so I can take the hinge in and get just the right one.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:13 AM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
McMaster Carr is another good place to look.

https://www.mcmaster.com/
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:01 AM   #10

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
McMaster Carr is another good place to look.

https://www.mcmaster.com/
I like McMaster Carr, order online, and they ship quick
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:44 PM   #11

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
It is hard to believe that a piano hinge could become bent when it is installed to an opening. If the jamb or door edge has a bow it will pull the hinge and cause interference and binding. A new hinge will not help. The door jamb must be straight. If your door or frame are made of metal framing you could straighten them by applying force. Check your hinge for kinks and hammer straight, then reinstall your hinge. Apply oil at the pin up top and let it migrate toward the bottom. It will be messy for a few weeks, but will dissipate after time and several wipe downs.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:38 PM   #12

Name: Jim
Trailer: ventura 1300
Ontario
Smile Door Hinge .

Hi Patricia D ,
On reading your post ,I went out to the garage and checked the hinge on my Ventura and found it to be same has yours ,Well not quite the same , mine is not bent, but is the same hinge , 3"x 65" .
I hope this helps .
Jim Rayner , Upsala , Ont
jvrayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:42 PM   #13

Ontario
Thanks Jim. I think that I have found someone in Winnipeg who can make me a new door frame. The rest of the frame is not in great shape, not bent but the four sections don't really fit together well and it is looking pretty banged up. Of course, it depends how much they want to charge. And I have found a source for a new hinge thanks to Jack L. Again, I am reminded how difficult it would be to do this project without this forum.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:12 PM   #14

Name: Birgit
Trailer: 1976 Ventura Monarch towing with RAV4 V6 2008
British Columbia
Hi,

My door and hinge are exactly the same. The hinge and frame are in ok shape, the hinge is rusted, but the metal flashing or whatever it's called that edges the door, is not. What is that called?

I want to rebuild the door and I should be able to if I can buy that stuff that goes around it which is prob hard to find, but impossible if I don't know what it's called!

Thx.