Stuck Range Knob - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2011, 01:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Stuck Range Knob

I am just doing the spring cleanup on our Trillium 1300 and discovered the right knob on our stove top is stuck. The left moves fine. Anyone else have this problem and know of a solution?

Thanks
Booker
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booker B. View Post
I am just doing the spring cleanup on our Trillium 1300 and discovered the right knob on our stove top is stuck. The left moves fine. Anyone else have this problem and know of a solution?

Thanks
Booker
If it doesn't move and it should ... WD40
If it moves and it shouldn't ... Duct Tape
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
If it doesn't move and it should ... WD40
If it moves and it shouldn't ... Duct Tape

The first two lines of the Handy-man's credo.

Actually, when a stove knob freezes it could be one of two problems. If you used the stove a lot last season it could be grease and dirt collecting under the knob and cover which hardens with age and non-use. Or, not very likely, corrosion.

If corrosion, WD40 in moderation.

If grease and dirt I would try a de-greaser before the WD40. Although...WD40 will penetrate and loosen the grease.

Main thing is to use non-flammable chemicals in moderation. If you do use a volatile chemical make sure well ventilated area, no open flame or spark and clean thoroughly prior to use.

Good Luck

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #4

Thanks James/Tom, I willl try WD40 tomorrow.

Do you know if the top side of the range comes off from the top or do you have to pull out the fridge and access from beneath? It looks/feels like it should come off with a firm tug but I have learned not to go around yanking on things =)

Booker
Old 03-12-2011, 09:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Booker, your stove top looks like mine, except mine has three burners. There are three set screws on the verticle edge. Once I removed those, the stove top cover came off... with a bit of knife work around the bottom edge cutting through the "gunk." YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:10 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 1984
Your stove looks just like mine. Remove the clips from the burner plates and then remove the two screws in the top. Your whole top can then be taken out and into the house for a complete cleaning. I used oven cleanerand a BRASS brush [doesn't scratch the chrome] to remove the old grease and rust from mine and it came up looking new again. Although it sounded tongue-in-cheek, a good soaking with WD40 or with paint thinner [varsol] may loosen any grease or rust that is causing your controll to stick. The knobs are just pull offs and then you can clean or repaint the lower frame.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:03 AM   #7

Finally got a chance to tackle this yesterday. I pulled off the knob cap, put in a few drops of WD40 around the shaft were it entered the controller. 5 minutes later went back and it's unstuck.

Thanks to all that replied!