Stuipid Ventura door . strikes. Me agine .. Need a quick fix - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2017, 06:31 PM   #1

Name: Kim
Trailer: Ventura
Manitoba
Stuipid Ventura door . strikes. Me agine .. Need a quick fix

So I've tryed and tryed I can't. Seem to find a new door that will fit if there is one someone point me where pls that's not 2 grand.....
I had liquid nailed on a pieace of aluminum to go over the door to help With leaks but water went behind it and this am was half off and I had water in the trailer agine.. I leave this comming Friday so I need a idea soon of something to fix this darn door lol
One idea is to get some aluminum strips butel tape and screw it to the top so water will. Be deflected or is that bad idea?
Cheyanna83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:21 AM   #2

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Kim -- definitely use butyl tape and screw right through it. That's how the windows go in and all...

Sorry to hear about this issue for you; we have to put "eyebrows" on Peanut, too, though so far we're not leaking.

People here on FGRV have put plastic trim bought at hardware stores for various things--look in the search engine you can click on above (lower blank, not upper,) and seek some help on FGRV for rain channels and whatnot. There are many solutions. In some cases they have fiberglassed the channels on--that's what we plan to do when and if we order trailer eyebrows online--I was going to send you the link but apparently I deleted it. DANG! The ones for sale online are thin aluminum, curved somewhat...

Let us know (with pics, if you can) what you come up with.

BEST
Kai
Old 07-02-2017, 11:26 AM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Check locally for truck campers as some of them that looks like they may be the right size(never measured them though). Around here , the campers come up for free to take away when they start leaking from the roof.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:42 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Ventura
Ventura door rebuild

If you save and reuse the perimeter aluminum frame pieces it isn't too difficult to rebuild a Ventura door.

The interior core (that rots) looks like it was an interior closet door slab. To remediate, I sourced a piece of paneling that matched the interior, a powder- coated skin for the exterior and a small fixed (non-opening) RV window. The original opening window allows water to penetrate.

Rebuilding a hollow wood core door, sized to the original dimensions, was straight forward from there.

Caulking the skin to the aluminum edge pieces protects the wood from water ingress, but also assemble the wood core with waterproof wood glue just in case.

The "new" door is as good as new after 5 years and about 50,000 kilometers of use in all weather conditions.
Darrell O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 02:12 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
You can purchase a piece of aluminum eyebrow flashing at just about any RV shop for about $5 . I just installed a piece over my refrigerator vent to stop water infiltration. So far so good.
A little butyl tape , caulk , fasteners , a drill and about one hour of time is all it takes.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:25 AM   #6

Registry
steve dunham--thanks! we'll see if we can find it locally--the online ones are spendier than that.

BEST
Kai
Old 07-03-2017, 10:49 AM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
the biggest problem with the Ventura door was that stupid window that they used, leaked like a sieve and it all ran into the inside of the door. Also check the lower corners of the door frame as these can break and the water will get into the interior of the trailer. Stepping on the frame is enough to break it over time and 40 years is a lot of time. I reinforced the corner joint on my casita and caulked it. Used a steel corner brace from a hardware store and pop riveted it in place.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:15 AM   #8

Manitoba
Sorry for the delay guys been a chaos few days 😂
My hub say to. Just glue it on why oh why did I listen To him?! Spent. Almost 2 days removeing said glue.. Anywho this is a house drip edge I cut and bent to fit under it is a thin aluminum flat bar to give hight so dosent hook on door and strength for the screws.. I used butyl putty aginst fiber and the bar and the bar and the drip edge so no water comes thur... Praying this works for this took me 4 ish days lol.. Love all the other ideas and tips you guys sent!
And Dudley my window in the door has been sealed shut with butyl and silicone.. No more leaks lol rather that then water!
Attached Thumbnails
20170705_103138.jpg   20170705_103059.jpg  

Old 07-05-2017, 10:21 AM   #9

Manitoba
No idea why pics posted on sides sigh but u get idea
Old 07-05-2017, 10:35 AM   #10

Registry
That looks good--easier because your door is straight across the top.
Yes, we did get the idea from your pics! Who knows why they go sideways?

Looks like a good job--sending you good thoughts that it works well for you!

BEST
Kai
Old 07-05-2017, 11:12 AM   #11

Manitoba
Try 2...dammit still on angle!! 😅
The biggest challange with my door is fact it sticks out from the camper so most drip edges don't work
While sitting. In frustration how to fix when first try broke, I rembered I had this wierd metal thing in shead I latter learned is a house drip edge but one side was white and my tin snips could cut it .. Perfect 👌 lol and free.. I like free 😂
Attached Thumbnails
20170705_103140.jpg  
Old 07-05-2017, 11:23 AM   #12

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
Kim, it's the portrait mode. If you shoot in landscape, things will be dandy.
Put some JB weld for aluminum in the outer mitered corners of the aluminum trim to prevent leaks too.
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:37 PM   #13

Registry
Congrats! THAT's the right mindset...we love free, too! And using some odd item that was going to just sit in storage forever is definitely a plus!

BEST
Kai

Tags
ventura