This is the first time I've tried to fire this up, as I have recently purchased the rig. It has a new battery
, I am plugged into 110v, the converter is on, and there is gas to the unit, as the pilot will light but not stay on.
I spent seven hours yesterday wrestling with this, and have determined that it is impossible to replace the Thermocouple in this unit without pulling the entire furnace
(though, this thing is called a "heater" in the manual, as is has no blower). This necessitated removing the cabinetry housing above the unit on my VT16, and constructing a 12" series of extensions for a 1/4" socket driver to reach the 4 hex/phillips fasteners located at the rear of the unit on the main firewall. Then two persons were required to execute the unfastening.
We have the element loose now, and anticipate being able to remove it today and check function out of the furnace box. I am debating whether or not to attempt to refurbish the unit, or try to find something updated to replace it.
I will say that this is some of the most absurdly frustrating engineering I have ever encountered. I might even consider remounting the Thermocouple to enable service without removing the entire device. What a PIA.
Thanks for your support!