Suburban nt 16 seq propane furnace removal and reinstall - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-09-2021, 07:10 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: boler 1978
British Columbia
Suburban nt 16 seq propane furnace removal and reinstall

I just installed the thing ran it for a few days camping now I gotta pull it out to get into the cabinet area for other stuff then put it back. It is working fine.

My question is: Is the exhaust/intake cap that slides on from the outside all reusable? There is a small gasket inside the exhaust vent pipe. I'm not sure its reusable but I figured I'd make sure.

Thanks,
kip22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:44 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
It is, removing may be challenging. The two halves tend to rust together.
Take your time and work it side to side. This will also give you a chance to inspect the intake and exhaust for holes.

Take the time and clean your burner and LP supply piping and thermocouple.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:43 PM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
If you have the room to pull it out the front, you can leave the exterior parts mounted. I am not sure what is supplied for a gasket to the trailer body but you could probably use butyl tape as a replacement. If you leave the exhaust on, you just have to line the furnace back up with the pipes and slide it in. I have done it a couple of times on my Casita.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 07:15 AM   #4

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mszabo View Post
It is, removing may be challenging. The two halves tend to rust together.
Take your time and work it side to side. This will also give you a chance to inspect the intake and exhaust for holes.

Take the time and clean your burner and LP supply piping and thermocouple.

Cool thanks for the info. The furnace was brand new 3 weeks ago and only used for a two day camp trip so far so I'm thinking rust shouldn't be an issue yet.
Old 02-10-2021, 07:18 AM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
If you have the room to pull it out the front, you can leave the exterior parts mounted. I am not sure what is supplied for a gasket to the trailer body but you could probably use butyl tape as a replacement. If you leave the exhaust on, you just have to line the furnace back up with the pipes and slide it in. I have done it a couple of times on my Casita.

I didn't mean the seal between the frame and the vent cap. There is a gasket inside the exhaust pipe on the vent cap that slides onto the furnace side. It does not look like it can be removed but I had to confirm it is reusable before I pulled it apart. Otherwise I'd buy a new one before starting. Unfortunately I'll have to pop the vent cap too. Its really tight and I had to connect the gas line on the right and swing it into place so no straight out for me... Its what makes our little RV's interesting.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:28 AM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kip22 View Post
I didn't mean the seal between the frame and the vent cap. There is a gasket inside the exhaust pipe on the vent cap that slides onto the furnace side. It does not look like it can be removed but I had to confirm it is reusable before I pulled it apart. Otherwise I'd buy a new one before starting. Unfortunately I'll have to pop the vent cap too. Its really tight and I had to connect the gas line on the right and swing it into place so no straight out for me... Its what makes our little RV's interesting.
I wasn't aware of a gasket in the pipes and the parts manual doesn't list . Ok just found it , looks like they are permanently attached to the tubes. They should be fine. My furnace is 23 years old!
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, propane