Success with Int paint walls,countertops,Cabinets, Carpet for floors. Walls, too? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #1

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
Success with Int paint walls,countertops,Cabinets, Carpet for floors. Walls, too?

Greetings!

I've owned my Lovebug The Fab Faberge Lovebug!
for several years now. As a former Interior Designer, I am accustomed to a lot of different products and had access to manufacturers specs.

When I chose to paint the interior of the Lovebug, I used a polyurethane paint that had an almost identical composition to Interlux Marine paint. I noticed the paint at a Diamond Vogel paint store and called the company and got the specs and compared them to Interlux. The people at the Diamond Vogel store custom colored the paint for me, creamy white for the walls. I was very happy as the paint covered the cleaned ensolite in one coat and dried to a nice semi-gloss sheen. It's very washable and still looks bright.
I used the same paint in a soft robin's egg blue on the fiberglass cabinets and doors. They have held up beautifully and would have moreso if I had not carried so much and allowed a few things to shift on the floor. Nonetheless, all it needs it a fresh coat, some ten years later, and she'll be fresh and new.
Many companies have come out with this polyurethane paint so instead of spending $110 on the Interlux paint, I suggest checking around.

Also, about 15 years ago, products came out that had a rubber-like quality to them with the intention of using them on formica countertops. A woman came to a class I was teaching on kitchen renovations and I suggested that product to her. She reported three years later that she'd done as I'd suggested, using two colors and dragging one color over the other(close in shades), the paint held up fabulously in her household with three children. And, if she ever would need to touch it up, because I'd suggested the two colors, she thought it would be a breeze. I do think about using this technique should I not the yellow stain out of my sailboat.

At that time, a firm in Canada was the only one producing the product, however, now Kilz and Rustoleum are among the brands that offer this.
I see no reason why this wouldn't work very well in our campers. The rubber like effect should allow for the movement we have when going down the road.

Now, I just installed some marvelous contemporary carpeting that I found in 2'x2' squares that I purchased online at .49$ per sq foot and they had free shipping! Jumbo Sized 36" to 39" Carpet Tiles - iCarpetiles.com

The pieces are very nice quality, more for office spaces, banks, etc. These easily price out at $20 per square foot as I used to sell it! And, it's very easy to install. I installed this in my loft in Arizona myself using a boxcutter and a metal ruler. I laid it down on a plywood floor and didn't use any glue and have had no movement at all. The rubber back likely melted into the wood a bit as it's been very hot! No, not really, but, I could have used a spray adhesive but don't need to just as the consultant said when I enquired. I am so pleased with the look and ease and nice quality of the carpet. I am seriously thinking of using this in all of my vehicles on the floors because they don't need to be glued and the panels can be replaced as needed.

Could these be used for the ceiling and walls? I think so as they are not that thick but do have this nice rubber back that should adhere to the fiberglass with the proper glue. I have some scraps and if I can find some proper glue, I'll try it out.

Okay, I told Donna that I'd start to contribute again. Off to my real love, the Dutch Oven cooking area and see what you've all been up to! I now have two alcohol stoves and they are fun! Always something to learn!

Cheers!
Gigi
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi View Post
Greetings!

I now have two alcohol stoves and they are fun! Always something to learn!

Cheers!
Gigi

Welcome back! I have to ask, what's a "alcohol" stove? Have never heard of such a thing.......

As for your paint advice, can we see pic's? Sorry I am a visual person plus I like when someone has success with a product other than Casita carpet, Scamp, rat fur, ensolite.....

Love the carpet square product you gave a link to. Beautiful modern look. If I actually liked carpet on the floor I would use it! It will be interesting to hear your results of using it on the ceiling and walls because I think that would be a great options for those who don't care for shag carpet, rat fur, ensolite...

Again, Welcome back! Pic's please!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:13 AM   #3

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
Greetings, Robin! It's great to be back! I shall take some photos as soon as I get back to her in a few weeks. I understand the need for visuals, my clients always needed sketches!

I am in the process of working on a newly acquired Eriba Puck. It's occupying my time these days. I do think I'll use the carpet on the floor in her, it takes even less than the Lovebug!

Thanks for the response, Robin. It's great to be back to this fine forum!

Donna is so great, Roger, Benny who looked at a camper for me in Winnipeg...so many fine, fine people!

I do need to round up Roger from Iowa to ask him about Dexter axles. I'm finally ready for that project!

Best!
Gigi
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint