Suggestions for leveling the trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2015, 11:40 AM   #21

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Anderson leveler all the Way!

I have a 17' Casita. I have and used the BAL. I have 15" wheels and large tires and the BAL was difficult to use on uneven ground. One work around is to first drive up on a 1" board, then slide the BAL under the tire.

However, once I started using the Anderson I never looked back, and now do not even carry the BAL. If you are near Nashville, TN, I will give it to you.

When leaving I just drive over it, never a problem.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:44 AM   #22

Name: Bill
Trailer: Burro 1983 13'
Wisconsin
Very impressed.

I have been using the Lynx (Lego style) this year after getting rid of the lumber mess. I was pretty happy with the block system but also looked at the BAL leveler liked the idea but felt it was to pricey and bulky. Just watched a few videos on the Anderson leveler and will be placing an order for one today. Very impressed.
One of those wish I would of thought of that items. Can still use my Lynx block for many other uses around camp.
Burro Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:52 AM   #23

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
One nice aspect of the BAL leveler is that if by chance the trailer "sinks" a bit after setup, you just crank it up or down a bit. You don't have to hook up to level the trailer again.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-29-2015, 01:59 PM   #24

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
If I had just purchased my first trailer as the OP has, I would buy a couple of packages of Lego blocks to start out with before deciding on what other levelling items to purchase. They are not expensive and the do the job but they also come in handy for many other jobs - such as putting under the rear stabilizer jacks, as well as front tongue jack to stop it from sinking into the dirt/gravel in addition to being used to level many other items such as a outside table etc.

The BAL and the Anderson are pricier and have only one use. I would do some hands on homework on both before deciding which to purchase.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:17 PM   #25

Name: Bill
Trailer: Burro 1983 13'
Wisconsin
You have a good point Carol on getting the stacking levelers first but leveling made easier is great. I have camped enough now to find the blocks to still be a pain a lot of the time. They do however serve many other purposes around camp. So your advice is pretty much what I did started with blocks and decided for my needs to add the Anderson leveler as well.
Burro Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:52 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Free levelers

If you go somewhere they are building, you can probably (with permission of course) get a 2x12x24 and a couple of other pieces of wood that will work fine.
After using wood blocks for a couple of years, we did buy an Anderson and like it very much.
We still use some of the wood blocks under the braces.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:10 PM   #27

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I'm a BAL user and lover. I travel with 4 short pieces of 2x6. 1 for each rear stabilizer, 1 for the nose jack and 1 to put under the "low" tire. The latter helps with the BAL being too snug under the tire. I do plan on changing the 2x6's with the plastic blocks, we had a border guard make a comment about the dirt on the wood once. Personally I don't think there would be any difference about mud on plastic, other than it might be easier to wash and they are easier to see in the dark.

As for the grease/dirt on the threads issue, I use a short piece of foam pipe wrap. It stays on the threads at all times other than when being cranked. A bright piece of pool noodle would do the same trick and remind you that the BAL is still under the tire on your circle check.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:57 AM   #28

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I've camped going on 6 yrs now in my 13'er. I got a good deal on a set of "legos" (stack of 10 in a case) for $15. I have NEVER needed two sets and never used all 10 of these at any campground. Most of the time 1 with a max of 2 blocks is all I've used. I know there's CG's that would require more- but just relating my experience.

IF anyone gets the stacking blocks...do NOT get the ones you can see through!! (Lynx) They can bury up in the ground.

I dont like the "Bal" because too many times I'm parked against a concrete patio rendering the Bal useless to me if it needs leveling on the "curb" side (passenger). Plus, in my small trailer/truck, it would simply eat up too much room. The stacking blocks fits neatly in a toolbox mounted in my truck during camping outings.

My next choice would be the Anderson if I was purchasing today. Again, I've only used a max of 2 blocks which is about 2". So the Anderson would serve me well I believe. But at $75 for the Bal vs $15 I have in blocks....I'm good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
I got a good deal on the Andersen leveler that Jon mentions above right before Christmas. I had narrowed it down to either the BAL or the Andersen, and decided to try the Andersen first since it was cheaper, and seems so much better/easier than the legos. Hopefully I will be happy with it, but if not, will then spring for the BAL.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:25 AM   #29

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
a couple of other pieces of wood that will work fine.
The three issues with using wood as levelling blocks are:

1) Unless it is Kilned Dried and it is stamped as such there is a good bet it will be taken from you if the Border guards see it - that happens a lot with campers going both directions of the border. In my experience of multiple trips across the line a year they do more often than not ask if you have any wood.

2) It takes up a lot of room and hard to stow away if dirty and wet.

3) Wood when wet is slipper and trailers under the right conditions can slip off of it with unfortunate results - Yup have had that happen.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:40 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
IF anyone gets the stacking blocks...do NOT get the ones you can see through!! (Lynx) They can bury up in the ground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
The three issues with using wood as levelling blocks are:
That is good info from both, thanks!

Having my wooden blocks taken away at a border would leave me in a bind. Plastic ones are on my shopping list. The weird thing about borders is my boler American had to have the underside power washed before I imported it the first time. Nobody has ever asked me about washing the underside when just traveling across the border.

FWIW, I have 2 BAL levellers - 1 for each trailer. Picked them both up used for 1/2 the price of retail. Both deals were had through my friends here @ FGRV.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:09 PM   #31

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
The weird thing about borders is my boler American had to have the underside power washed before I imported it the first time. Nobody has ever asked me about washing the underside when just traveling across the border.
From the Canadian Border web page regarding importing:

"All vehicles must be clean and free of soil, related matter and organic material (soil) prior to arriving in Canada. This requirement applies to all used vehicles, regardless of origin.
Soil is a high-risk pathway for pests that can cause serious and irreparable harm to Canada's natural resources.
Vehicles found to be contaminated with soil will be refused entry and ordered removed from Canada under the authority of the Plant Protection Act and the Health of Animals Act."
Old 12-30-2015, 07:53 PM   #32

That is exactly what I was referring to Carol. Your quote specifically addresses importing, but I imagine there are similar laws on both sides related to simple travel.

Just one more thing to keep in mind before crossing. If Alf S almost got blacklisted for having a pepper in his fridge, I can imagine the outcome of having a "dirty" trailer. We have learned to travel with sealed bags of dog food (fish based) so we don't have anything confiscated for containing the "banned animal of the week". We've also learned to check the ever changing list of banned foods before packing. We slowly migrated to crossing with a shopping list rather than having supplies on hand. But we do try to have a couple of MRE's just in case.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:34 PM   #33

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
That is exactly what I was referring to Carol. Your quote specifically addresses importing, but I imagine there are similar laws on both sides related to simple travel.

Just one more thing to keep in mind before crossing. If Alf S almost got blacklisted for having a pepper in his fridge, I can imagine the outcome of having a "dirty" trailer. We have learned to travel with sealed bags of dog food (fish based) so we don't have anything confiscated for containing the "banned animal of the week". We've also learned to check the ever changing list of banned foods before packing. We slowly migrated to crossing with a shopping list rather than having supplies on hand. But we do try to have a couple of MRE's just in case.
LOL I understand. I tend to play it safe and avoid carrying veggies and fresh meats going in either direction due to the ever changing rules. Eggs were the big forbidden item last summer going in both directions.

Your correct if they find you with so much as a tomato in the fridge you can be sure that you will get a lot more questions asked the next time you cross and its a good bet the trailer will be opened and checked on every crossing for years to come. Have more than one friend that has learned that lesson the hard way.

Dog food thats a crazy one. Canada allows you to bring in dog food bags that have been opened as long as its still has the original package & was made in Canada or the USA. US requires the dog food to be in original unopened bag - a real pain if you dog happens to be on a food you can only get from a vet as the boy I traveled with last year was. Again know of a few folks who have had their dog food taken away as the bag was open - even though the food brand was made in the USA. mg

One things for sure regardless your always best to just smile and apologize and do as they say and don't even try and discuss the logic of any of it
Old 12-31-2015, 06:11 PM   #34

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Andersen leveller......no contest. Absolutely love the ease of levelling. Will not use anything else.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:21 PM   #35

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Registry
There are BAL jacks or BAL levelers

Everyone talks about the BAL. There are BAL jacks, and BAL levelers.

My preference is the BAL jack as shown on the left. It mounts under the trailer..no worry about storage or dirt. Going to put a set on the new Scamp 13.
Attached Images

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:37 PM   #36

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Looks like a BAL stabilizer to me, as in never to be used as a jack.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:47 PM   #37

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Hmm Glenn Baggo..Combine the strength of a leveling jack

Maybe its me....but I never could read very well

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/cfp/jacks/c-series-jacks/94-0814.htm?utm_source=google&utm_medium=partsshoppin g&utm_campaign=partsfeed&jt=1&jap=1o5&js=1&jsid=36 859&jcpid=8a8ae4cd48005458014820e2e0170ec4&jkId=gc p:se_36859p_59319076944:ag_15211804824:cp_194253 624:n_g:d_c:cr_52737673584&gclid=CJzc2Kqxh8oCFQ8za QodDZwH7Q

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:53 PM   #38

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I've always heard those referred to as stabilizing jacks, not to be used for leveling.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:54 PM   #39

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
The link helps.
Mine are stabilizers.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:07 PM   #40

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I have a BAL double leveling Jack set for sale if anyone is interested. $60, Used about three times and then removed as to heavy for the back of a Hunter. It's in Chelan, WA, Sorry, No Shipping, it's to big. Will hold for pick-up.
Send me a PM if interested

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0484.jpg   IMG_0485.jpg  

IMG_0486.jpg  
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote