Suggestions for leveling the trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2015, 07:34 PM   #1

Name: Wendy
Trailer: 2011 Casita SD 17’
California
Suggestions for leveling the trailer

I just bought a Scamp 13' and have been going crazy on Amazon with accessories. So fun. There is a BAL leveler for single axle trailers. It looks like a black U that slips around the tire. The Amazon comments are mostly about tent trailers but it looks like it would be good for the Scamp. It is to use instead of blocks of wood, etc.
What do you think? Have you tried one?
SactoWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Oh my stars Wendy, you've opened a can of worms! You are going to get lots of opinions... and I have mine

I've owed the BAL leveler for years. Used it a LOT with my Scamp. I'm a single traveler, no one to help me with backing onto blocks (or pulling forward). I just picked the spot I wanted (where's the door?), unhooked and used the BAL to level side to side. NIRVANA.

Now I have a tandem axle trailer. Same situation... single, don't want to haul a bunch of stuff. Now I have TWO BAL levelers. Still works as needed and I couldn't be happier.

Folks will say they're heavy and greasy. Heavy is subjective and if the BAL levelers are greasy... something is wrong.

Your choice. Whatever you come up with and decide, I hope it works for you.

I'm happy with my decision
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:00 PM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Wendy,
I'm another BAL convert from the blocks of wood days. I love it and my wife even more so since she formerly had to try to help me back on to just the right number of blocks. The BAL is so simple to use and a great improvement over the blocks. See my earlier post with photos of the simple system I rigged to eliminate the grease issue. BTW, we also are in a 13'er. Go for it - you won't regret it.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:08 PM   #4

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
We use stackable blocks and they are also used under the stabilizers and tongue.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:06 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Lego-type interlocking blocks have been enough for me: inexpensive, lightweight, compact, and adaptable to other uses (like leveling a picnic table). I've never needed an assistant to get up on them. You have to buy chocks separately.

However, the BAL is very convenient to use and serves as a chock as well as a leveler; the downside is storage in a small trailer. Someone suggested a pizza delivery bag is the perfect size to store a dirty BAL in your clean trailer.

Another option with some proponents here is the Anderson leveler. Compact and convenient to use, more adjustability than blocks, includes chock, but limited lifting range.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Anderson.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	91395
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:56 AM   #6

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Hey Wendy,
I have a BAL leveler, which I use on a 17 ft. Casita. Overall I am satisfied with it but decided to go with the Andersen levelers. I would say the BAL is on the heavy side and because of it's size and shape a little cumbersome to use and store. I had to spread the arms of my unit in order for it to fit under my tires. I also found depending on the ground surface( grass, gravel or sand ) it can be difficult to get around your tire or more of an issue, getting it out once you're ready to break camp. Hope that helps.
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:14 AM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
I got a good deal on the Andersen leveler that Jon mentions above right before Christmas. I had narrowed it down to either the BAL or the Andersen, and decided to try the Andersen first since it was cheaper, and seems so much better/easier than the legos. Hopefully I will be happy with it, but if not, will then spring for the BAL.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:22 AM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Lots of old threads:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...cks-71760.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-62560.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...any-63628.html
A really long (and somewhat contentious) one:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ack-69856.html

Last, some general information about leveling and stabilizing:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...g-72241-2.html
Old 12-29-2015, 09:37 AM   #9

Name: Larry
Trailer: Escape
Oregon
I have the Andersen and like it very much, fast, compact, easy to use and store and the wife likes it. The Andersen coupled with a large level mounted to the front belly band make a perfect one person leveling job.
larryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:43 AM   #10

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
We used blocks of wood to level out Casita and then tried the Anderson. Leveliing went from minutes to just seconds. Love the simplicity of the unit.
jon
jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:44 AM   #11

Name: Teal
Trailer: Scamp 16
Arizona
Leveling blocks

I am also traveling solo and am using the interlocking blocks. They are neon orange so easy to see and back onto or pull forward. My scamp 16 has levels on the side and front so that helps me find level. They are in a zipper bag so stow well.

Have not heard of the Baltimore levelers... will ck them out. This is my maiden voyage... so checking all things out.
Teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:53 AM   #12

Arizona
Registry
My concern regarding using the Anderson levelers without a spotter is what might happen if you overshoot and run off the back... I vaguely recall a post in which someone did exactly that and it flipped up and got wedged somewhere. Anybody willing to admit doing that? Any consequences other than a bump at the end?
Old 12-29-2015, 09:59 AM   #13

Name: Larry
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
My concern regarding using the Anderson levelers without a spotter is what might happen if you overshoot and run off the back... I vaguely recall a post in which someone did exactly that and it flipped up and got wedged somewhere. Anybody willing to admit doing that? Any consequences other than a bump at the end?
Yes, I have done that a couple of times and had no problems (yet)
larryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:00 AM   #14

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal View Post
...Have not heard of the Baltimore levelers...
I'm not sure what BAL stands for, but the BAL R.V. Products Group is based in Indiana.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:03 AM   #15

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
I heard about someone who drove away from their site, running over their Anderson. It shot up and punctured the water tank on the Scamp 13'. Oops.

Always check for orange and yellow "things" before heading home.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:09 AM   #16

Name: Bat Dude
Michigan
Byron and Anne showed us the BAL leveler when we met them in Death Valley in March of this year.

Added it to our 16' Scamp gear and love it.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:11 AM   #17

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I've used the Camco tri leveller for years and am quite happy with it. The Anderson does look much more compact.
Attached Images

WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:11 AM   #18

Arizona
Registry
Suggestions for leveling the trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by herons View Post
I heard about someone who drove away from their site, running over their Anderson. It shot up and punctured the water tank on the Scamp 13'. Oops.

Always check for orange and yellow "things" before heading home.
Grey tank, perhaps? The fresh water tank is inside.

Good general advice for a newbie: do a 360 walk-around before you pull out. Look down (orange and yellow thingies, cords and hoses), up (windows and vents), and around (rocks, stumps, curbs, overhanging branches). Double-check the door and hitch (latch, chains, electric).
Old 12-29-2015, 11:18 AM   #19

Name: Roselyn
Trailer: Casita 16 SD
Texas
We have (and love) the BAL leveler. Thought about the Anderson, but remembered the time we camped at a site where we had to raise one side of the trailer well over 4" (as high as Anderson goes) to get level. Have used the BAL for several years and haven't had problem with grease. We do keep it in a zip bag/tote inside the closet in our Casita when not in use.
Roselyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:19 AM   #20

Name: Marcia
Trailer: '00 Burro 17' WB
Seattle, WA
I have to second those who love the BAL leveler. I often travel solo and find it incredibly easy to set up camp and get perfectly level with the BAL. Our Burro is modified with 15" tires and it still fits, though can be tight to get into place/remove on certain surfaces such as gravel. Only downside is that indeed it can be cumbersome to store, but it only needs to store when we are rolling so it's just not a big deal. It sets on the floor inside the door because it's one of the first items to be pulled out when I stop to camp.
mglyons is offline   Reply With Quote