Suggestions Needed: 5th wheel hitch cover - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2006, 09:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 2004 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Hopefully someone can chime in with a great idea. Over the 4th I was camping with several members of my family. Tuesday morning I was in my 5th wheel putting away few items when I heard and felt a thud followed with some crying. I figured my niece (age 7) and my nephew (age 2 1/2) had been playing with a ball and it had hit my camper and one of them was crying because they were in trouble. No, my 2 1/2 year old nephew (who tends to look where he has been instead of where he is going) had banged his head on the front gooseneck hitch (it was at the perfect height) He ended with with a large bump and some buising but other than that he is fine (he was lucky considering how hard he hit it).

So now I am feeling like a very guilty aunt and am looking for ideas of something to put over the hitch or under the hitch, etc to prevent this from happening again. My first thought was to see if a boxing glove would slip over the hitch.

What other ideas are out there or what do others use?

Thanks for your help.

Gail
Gail Shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:51 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
ive seen people get a pole just a little smaller than the ball size and put it in the hitch and on a board on the ground that way if some one hits it it is the pole not just the hitch..
Dan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:13 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel Deluxe
Gail,

Don Daytony is active on the Yahoo Scamper group and he made a padded boot to fit his Scamp 5th wheel. You might want to look at some of his pictures in the Scamper Overflow II section.

In the meantime buy a brightly colored beach towel and wrap it around the hitch. We usually unhitch the trailer but leave the truck parked underneath. That way no one can go through.

Nita
Nita F. is offline   Reply With Quote