Surf-Side Door Hinge Replacement - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-08-2020, 08:50 PM   #1

Name: Scott
Trailer: Triple E Surf*Side
British Columbia
Registry
Surf-Side Door Hinge Replacement

Greetings all

One of the next jobs up on our Surf-Side is to replace the hinges and remount the door. It is sagging, the the hinges are worn out and are no longer straight to the trailer.

Before I start to unbolt things, I thought I would query those who have gone before in hopes of gaining some insight.

Ideally I would like to mount the hinges slightly off from their current location. The surface that the hinges mount to seem to be quite flat for the area between, and a bit above and below the current location. Has anyone had issue with moving the hinges up/down?

Can anyone tell me if there is backing wood inside the fibreglass of the door and door frame?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Scott
The Sticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 03:30 PM   #2

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Triple E
Saskatchewan
Hi, following and hope you get some answers as I will be rehanging my door soon as well. Did you find new hinges? If so, where?
Surfside Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 03:44 PM   #3

Saskatchewan
Just saw on another thread that people are recommending hinges from Lee Valley. Going to check them out.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:46 PM   #4

British Columbia
Registry
Hey Bruce

I went with these ones...

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are a bit larger, and the screws are in a triangular pattern that I think should resist 'droopage' better than the factory inline.

We have started back up at work, so I haven't had time to start on the door yet, still buttoning up a couple of other projects. Where is Sask are you? My wife is a Sask girl...
Old 08-16-2020, 04:01 PM   #5

Saskatchewan
Cool, I'll check them out. I am living in a little town called Middle Lake about 50 km north of Humboldt. But grew up in Summerland, BC. Will be hauling the wee trailer out there next summer.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:14 PM   #6

British Columbia
Registry
Nice... Kathy is originally from about 175 klicks east of you in Porcupine Plain. We are out that way to bring her Mom's ashes there a couple of years ago. Have to make a meet if you get this way, we are in Kamloops.

I will keep you updated as I get to the door project, and how it goes

Scott

Tags
surfside