Surf Side Door Hinges - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2015, 01:06 PM   #1

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
Surf Side Door Hinges

My 1977 Surf Side has a slightly saging door , it has been repaired at some point but the hinges are worn and not perfectly straight . The door works fine so I have not attempted a repair as I do not know what is inside the door or the frame that holds the screws . Can someone tell me what is behind the fiberglass securing the screws and what will happen when I take out the screws ? Thanks
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:23 PM   #2

I have a 79 Surfside. I had a hinge pin that was not fully engaged into the lower part of the hinge. I took the hinge off to repair the pin. I think there is wood blocks inside the door and around the door frame that the hinges are screwed to. I replaced the existing rusted screws with new, slightly longer stainless steel screws and put a little butal tape around the screw before I screwed them back into the original holes. Be careful not to use too long a screw, right hole into the door. There is very little thickness to the door at that spot.
It seems these doors don't hang where you think they should, according to the body. The trailers that I've seen dont line up. The door line is about 3/8" lower then the body. Good luck and let me know if you get the door to line up.
surfside up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:55 AM   #3

Manitoba
Thanks surfside up - that is what I needed to know . I think I will leave that project until the off season as it is working fine for now .
Old 06-25-2015, 09:06 AM   #4

Where in Man do you live? I'm originally from Neepawa.
Also, do you know Triple E is in Winkler? Maybe new hinges could still be found there??
Old 06-26-2015, 02:39 PM   #5

Manitoba
I live at Wawanesa , I will see if Triple E has new hinges . I got new window cranks from Berdick Windows also in Winkler the original manufacturers of Surf Side windows . Thanks !
Old 06-26-2015, 03:44 PM   #6

Home of Wawanesa Mutual.
Good to know of the window manufacturer. I may need new cranks.
Good luck!