Surf-side window rebuild - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2019, 07:02 PM   #1

Name: Zac
Trailer: Surfside
Ontario
Surf-side window rebuild

Hi Everyone,

I was looking for some direction on rebuilding my surf-side windows and couldn’t really find any specific information, part numbers etc. Anyone who mentioned doing it was talking about cutting the gaskets down to fit, I didn’t really want to do that... So I thought I’d post what I’m doing so hopefully it will save someone else the hassle I had to go thru.

Now this is a 1978 surfside trailer so I’m not sure if they are all the same.

Here is my part list ordered thru vintage trailers - I didn’t order the U gasket for the window frames..... it was more then I am prepared to pay. I will either use butyl tape or silicone the windows in the frame, I’ll have to see when I get there. I used different cranks then came with the original. These were cheaper and in stock. If you want the originals I believe they are the same as the boler’s. I will be installing a spacer to make up the difference, the original has a longer sleeve that fits over the rod.... I will update with pictures as I go.

The bottom screws were seized solid I had to heat them slightly then spray with penetrating fluid.... they eventually came out, but just barely. Please if you have any questions just ask, I’ll do my best to answer them.

Zac
Attached Thumbnails
D279721F-5043-437B-8810-CF9CA53CFCCA.jpg   410D3F9D-F494-4D11-B55F-D2ACA423C804.jpg  

63A5C211-A732-49E6-8293-6A40CCA09335.jpg   56C342BD-F239-497F-8635-EF32B8FC492C.jpg  

63C26E19-B2A0-49EB-95C9-88EA638FC917.jpg   544BBB16-B51F-4A4A-84A6-FAE4E399632E.jpg  

56C8F173-30C7-46D3-8B39-37B647EFE724.jpg  
zac w. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:22 PM   #2

Name: Rufus
Trailer: Surfside TM14
Illinois
I need to do this. Thanks for the pics. In the 6th pic on the right side showing the edge of the window, there is a pin sticking of the frame between the upper and lower window (in the plane of the glass). Can you say what that does? On one of my windows it came out and I almost lost that window. For now I've got it all taped together. Depending on what I learn about repairing these, I may have to put off the correct fix a few months until I reach a garage I can use for a week or so.

Another pic shows you holding a vinyl weatherstrip (I think). Does that go along the lower edge of the windows?

Thanks,
Rufus
rlaggren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:58 PM   #3

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlaggren View Post
I need to do this. Thanks for the pics. In the 6th pic on the right side showing the edge of the window, there is a pin sticking of the frame between the upper and lower window (in the plane of the glass). Can you say what that does? On one of my windows it came out and I almost lost that window. For now I've got it all taped together. Depending on what I learn about repairing these, I may have to put off the correct fix a few months until I reach a garage I can use for a week or so.

Another pic shows you holding a vinyl weatherstrip (I think). Does that go along the lower edge of the windows?

Thanks,
Rufus
Hi Rufus.... so the metal pin is the pivot that the glass panes pivot on. I think if it’s broken you might need a new one. I included a few pictures to show you what I mean.
The weather strip goes on the bottom of each panel, then on the sides as you can see in both pictures.
Anyways any questions you have just ask I’ll see if I can help.
Zac
Attached Thumbnails
4CA8F90F-3955-4ED5-8EDC-0668416850FD.jpg   5139479F-6C62-4082-9245-9A3758C83920.jpg  

7250EBBB-6D62-4B23-BA20-D2BD9B83B7D4.jpg   D07CF701-0347-46F3-BBC2-DEA6C070DF4E.jpg  

8FC36DBD-C5AF-4BB8-95C0-DC36C5499503.jpg  
Old 04-10-2019, 03:08 PM   #4

Ontario
Rufus,
Here’s a screen shot of the part that I think you might need.... it’s from vintage trailer supply, not sure if this an exact match though. Might be good idea to give them a call.
Zac
Attached Thumbnails
06B431E7-BF85-4913-BAB0-2F7B4B75045A.jpg  
Old 04-10-2019, 03:16 PM   #5

Ontario
Ok now that I have 2 windows done I’ve learned a few things id like to share

1) Order the proper u- weatherstripping for the glass. Silicon or butyl tape did not work great.... I don’t have the size yet, ordered the wrong one (had the wrong sizes on web site) will post the part number once I get it.

2) order the correct window cranks if you can find them (still looks like out of stock) the ones I got I had to modify them, though they feel strong... I don’t think it’s worth it if you can get the original ones.... here’s a picture
Zac
Attached Thumbnails
E812DE9D-F960-4682-8EAE-BE287512BFA3.jpg  
Old 04-10-2019, 04:59 PM   #6

Name: Rufus
Trailer: Surfside TM14
Illinois
Zac

Great photos! And thank you greatly for the look at the hinges with the pivot. One can find almost anything on the net but when it's got to be a particular exact fit it can take a lot of time to locate. Really, thanks.

I'm in the middle of building new wall in my sister's basement to let her rent some space and that has to get done before I "wander off" on other projects. But I'll check the pieces as soon as possible and try to confirm the right part numbers.

Regards,
Rufus
rlaggren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:52 PM   #7

Name: Garry
Trailer: Surf Side
Alberta
Registry
Bought these on Amazon, direct replacement for the crank mechanism.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will be doing this to my SurfSide in the next month. New gasket, cranks, glass.

Garry
The_Kramers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:28 PM   #8

Ontario
That's perfect, and at a great price, wish I knew that before - appreciate the input. I'm all done now but I'm sure others will love to have the info.
Remember to soak the screws in the frame with penetrating fluid I broke one and what a pain to get that sucker out. All the others I soaked and then heated came out nice.
Thanks again for the info.
Zac
Old 06-06-2019, 09:03 PM   #9

Name: Liz
Trailer: Triple-E Surf-Side
Alberta
cool, now is there a left-hand mechanism somewhere too?
Lizbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:13 PM   #10

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbun View Post
cool, now is there a left-hand mechanism somewhere too?

They are all the same on our Surf Side. Right hand side of the window.

Where are you in Alberta? we are in Edmonton.

Garry
Old 06-07-2019, 12:31 AM   #11

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Tip, the quick and easy way to heat a screw is by holding a electric soldering iron against the screw head. How long it takes to heat it up depends on how much power your soldering iron outputs. It is a relatively safe tool for the job because the heat is concentrated just on the screw and there is no flame.

Instead of WD-40 I use PB blaster, it is a better product for penetrating corrosion. You can get it at hardware and auto stores and places such as Home Depot.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:38 PM   #12

Name: Liz
Trailer: Triple-E Surf-Side
Alberta
We're in Calgary. Our Surfside used to be my dad's, and before that his hunting buddy's, out in SK.

Ours is in pretty good condition, all things considered. But we want to renovate several things, first thing is the windows. I think you're correct, they're all right side. Well, glad there's enough on Amazon to order a 5th one.
Lizbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:43 PM   #13

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kramers View Post
They are all the same on our Surf Side. Right hand side of the window.

Where are you in Alberta? we are in Edmonton.

Garry
Actually all except one is RH ..... the rear split window Left side needs a left crank. Please post if you find a link for one. Also a part number for the window glass gasket would be great. I’ve already tried two different types but both were wrong.
Share as much specific information as you can, it will help all of us and everyone in the future. Thanks again Garry for the link to the Rh cranks!
Zac
Old 05-08-2020, 09:52 PM   #14

Name: Andrew
Trailer: 1975 Surfside (not Triple E)
British Columbia
J seal

I am up to doing the same work but VTS is out of stock for the listed parts I need....

Anyone know of an alternative source?

Need the J seal
https://vintagetrailersupply.com/vin...al-1-vts-2019/

and header seal
https://vintagetrailersupply.com/jal...0-pkg-vts-386/

Thx! Might be just due to the factories not delivering
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 10:36 PM   #15

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
I am up to doing the same work but VTS is out of stock for the listed parts I need....

Need the J seal

and header seal

I could use some also. Left my email to contact me when it is back in stock.

Garry Kramer
garry@gkramer.ca
Old 05-10-2020, 05:41 PM   #16

Ontario
Quote:

Need the J seal

and header seal

Hi I’m sorry I can’t offer more info but there is another company vintage trailer gaskets.... they have a bunch of gaskets listed.... sometimes the part numbers will cross over. I have to say though you cannot beat the customer service of vintage trailer supply.... I’d be tempted to just wait for them.

If anyone finds a part number for the window channel gasket I’d love to get it. My glas and frames look pretty good but in the next couple years I’d love to replace the channel gasket!

Thanks
Zac
Old 05-10-2020, 06:01 PM   #17

Name: Bob
Trailer: Boler 1300
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac w. View Post
Hi I’m sorry I can’t offer more info but there is another company vintage trailer gaskets.... they have a bunch of gaskets listed.... sometimes the part numbers will cross over. I have to say though you cannot beat the customer service of vintage trailer supply.... I’d be tempted to just wait for them.

If anyone finds a part number for the window channel gasket I’d love to get it. My glas and frames look pretty good but in the next couple years I’d love to replace the channel gasket!

Thanks
Zac
Hi Zac

I picked up my jalousie window channel gasket and pretty much all my other gaskets from vintagetrailergaskets.com. Couldn't find what I needed at vintagetrailersupply.com but I have used them for lots of parts and really like their service. The channel gasket I got was for 3/32" glass and 1/4" channel. Part number - 0114KAALT332 if that helps. Really great assistance in helping me find the right stuff to refurb my windows and fast inexpensive shipping USPS to me here in Canada.
bobdobqb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:36 PM   #18

Ontario
That’s great! Thanks that is the same as mine 3/32 with 1/4 channel. Appreciate the part number.... I’ll order some in the fall and do that this winter. Thanks again.
Zac
Old 05-11-2020, 08:01 PM   #19

Name: Andrew
Trailer: 1975 Surfside (not Triple E)
British Columbia
Hello working with Robert @ https://www.vintagetrailergaskets.com/ and so far he is great, willing to send free samples in the US and has all the window manuals on the site + restoration plans. I am unable to remove my screens without undoing a bunch of caulking and therefore cannot see the model number so I am getting samples and will update if it all works out. I am in Canada so I will pay for the samples, but its like $25 and then I will know for certain
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:13 PM   #20

Ontario
Quote:
Hello working with Robert @ https://www.vintagetrailergaskets.com/ and so far he is great, willing to send free samples in the US and has all the window manuals on the site + restoration plans. I am unable to remove my screens without undoing a bunch of caulking and therefore cannot see the model number so I am getting samples and will update if it all works out. I am in Canada so I will pay for the samples, but its like $25 and then I will know for certain
Thanks for taking the time to post....and please update us as you go. Having part numbers for each dealer with a little description is the easiest way. I sure wish I had a few before I started. Thanks again for keeping us up to date.
Zac

Tags
surfside