Surf-side window rebuild - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2020, 09:32 AM   #41

Name: Scott
Trailer: Triple E Surf*Side
British Columbia
Registry
Hi Anne

I have one of the windows on my bench ready to take apart, so I pulled out one of the long screws from the bottom of the glass channel (I assume that this is the one you mean). It appears to be a #6 x 1.5" pan head machine screw, albeit a bit of a custom.

Most #6 machine screws are "6-32" which is a #6 screw with a fairly fine thread, that being 32 threads per inch. These are coarser than that by quite a bit, and unfortunately I don't have a thread pitch guage to determine exactly what they are.

I would be concerned that a 6-32 would be too fine to hold properly, but maybe it would be ok. The other alternative would be a #6 pan head wood/metal screw, but without actually trying it I am not sure. Size should be ok, and the threads are courser.

I did a bit of looking this morning, and can't see anything other than 6-32 being readily available. I will be curious to hear what others have to say, I have about 20 more of these screws to deal with, so breakage is always a possibility for me as well.

Over to others for input...

Scott
The Sticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 04:41 PM   #42

Name: Anne
Trailer: Triple E Surfside
Ontario
Thanks Scott. Much appreciated. I’ll let you know what I find.
Annikki 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 08:40 AM   #43

Name: Andrew
Trailer: 1975 Surfside (not Triple E)
British Columbia
FYI I installed some of my gaskets from vintage trailer gaskets and the J strip was perfect match.

Header seal was not which is to say that (and thanks to another member for pointing it out) my Surfside has knock off Hehr windows not the real thing. I was able to use the header seal but had to modify slightly by trimming off a small lip, then it fit well.

Definitely no fault of VTG and their service was top notch

Now Susie is put away for the winter
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:35 PM   #44

British Columbia
Registry
First window unit is back together, at least temporarily. Everything worked great, header seal did fit on mine so no problem there.

Only issue is that there is a bind between the bottom of the upper pane and the top of the lower pane that prevents the window from closing completely. Given there adjustment in the parts, I am not sure where the problem is originating from, but if nothing else taking a very small amount of material off of the top extrusion on the lower frame will address the issue.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:44 PM   #45

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikki 2 View Post
This has been really great info... thanks everyone. I’m rebuilding my windows now. Got the gaskets and new cranks (thanks to you follks). I broke a screw on the windows (long skinny screws). Do you know where I can get new ones?

Thanks!
Hardware stores, just take the broken one with you or measure it for size.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 03:55 PM   #46

British Columbia
Registry
Sharing a goof up to save others the pain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sticks View Post
Only issue is that there is a bind between the bottom of the upper pane and the top of the lower pane that prevents the window from closing completely.
Ok... so I have finally gotten around to looking at this window unit again, and FINALLY found the issue. So from the "Don't do this file" I present this little tidbit of wisdom for anyone who takes apart the window units.

On the lower glass panel, there is a piece of alum extrusion on the top of the glass pane. There is a minor difference in the height of the two flanges that extend upwards to mate with the upper glass panel - THEY ARE NOT THE SAME HEIGHT - I have found out the hard way. There is nothing (other than maybe the good sense that I apparently lacked) to prevent you from assembling that extrusion the wrong way around.

So after much investigation and hair pulling out (and I can't spare it) I undid the two screws, pulled the extrusion from the glass and reseated it the other way around. Low and behold - she all works properly now.

Hopefully my troubles will save someone else the same down the road.

Scott
Old 12-13-2020, 09:26 PM   #47

Name: Zac
Trailer: Surfside
Ontario
Hi Scott
That's great information!
Sure appreciate all the information on this Thread. I have a friend that is doing this right now to his windows as a winter project. Ill add your points to a document that I'm trying to put together on rebuilding these.
Thanks for posting your findings. I sure wish I had all this information when I started!
Zac
zac w. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:10 PM   #48

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sticks View Post
Hi Zac

So far no luck. I would appreciate seeing what you come up with. Most of mine is intact, but one section is broken and missing a chunk. Worst case, I will use the front window strips as donor material and then do it different than original.

Thanks!!
Scott
Any luck finding the outside trim piece?
Old 01-05-2021, 05:05 PM   #49

British Columbia
Registry
Hi Anne

Unfortunately, none whatsoever. I am going to try a fairly stock 1" Trim Insert strip (like what covers the screws on the alum belly band) to see if that will work satisfactorily.

I am just in the process of assembling and staining the new inside window frame, then the window will get mounted and I would love to have a working solution so I can put a stroke thru that window on the project list...

Happy New Year
Scott
Old 01-06-2021, 08:25 AM   #50

Ontario
thanks Scott much appreciated.

Anne
Old 01-12-2021, 07:23 PM   #51

British Columbia
Registry
Hi Anne (and everyone in the thread)

I have just received the screw trim cover I wanted to try, and as there is no time like the present, I did a dry fit to see how it fit and looks. I have attached some moderate quality pictures, but it shows the idea. I am very happy with the result, the boss and I actually kinda like the look better than the extruded flat covers that were original to it. But honestly, it is window trim so really...

This is something I got from Amazon, 'RV Designer E569 Heavy Duty Vinyl Insert Trim, 1 inch Wide, 50 Foot Roll, Black'. It was about $34 Canadian on Amazon.ca, and $18 USD on Amazon.com

Hopefully this is helpful to some of you anyway.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
ScrewTrim1.png   ScrewTrim2.png  

ScrewTrim3.png   ScrewTrim4.png  

Old 01-15-2021, 08:01 AM   #52

Ontario
Your the best Scott!! Thanks for the info. The window trim does look great. I've ordered and should have mine early next week.

I will post some pictures soon on my restore project of my surf side. I must say this forum has saved me sooo much time and given me some great information on my project. I can't thank you guy enough for your help!

Have a great weekend everyone - stay safe

Anne

Tags
surfside