surfside 1977 rides again! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2007, 07:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Surfside Triple E TM14
hi
We bought a 1977 surfside trailer last fall. Camped in it September long weekend and figured out what we had to do to restore this fantastic trailer. We have had tents, tent trailers and even a "westy" and so far this is starting to feel as good as when we had the "westy". Last month we took it to our friend who is a car body man and a fantastic painter, who did it proud. We also took all the windows out and put them back proerly with the proper seaant. (care of this site)

Silver & Blue! Matches the silver on our Equinox 05. It sits in our drive way now, calling to us every day, help me enjoy a road trip!!!!!!
Before we head out this summer for weekend camping trips around Manitoba, Canada., we have to sew curtains (Free blinds for any one, come and get them) and we have to find a seal for the door and proper hinges. Looking at the pictures on this site, I now know what type and size I have to get for the hinges and have to find local stores for other items.

After seeing quite a few for sale and the poor conditions people let them get into, it is no wonder everyone is repairing them as soon as they buy them, but once we have done this, there is no way we are letting this babay go unattended again.
I would like to know "surfside" owners if you have any information, picture and advice on repairs/replacements.

Thanks and talk to you soon.

Kathy E.
Evinger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:39 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Hi,

I moved this topic to here so more Surfside owners might see it.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14
Hi Kathy,

Glad to hear of another Winterpegger restoring a SURFSIDE! I am currently working on a 1975 model. Just got it a few weeks ago. Have stripped the exterior of several coats of ugly paint to reveal the original yellow. Plan on keeping it this color for a while. I have new roof vents to go in and well I have just today started with redoing all the wood around each window and resealing the windows to the sides. I also plan to have all new cushions made to jazz up the interior.

I wonder if your trailer is a front kitchen-side closet with rear dinette? I would be interested to see your table set-up/plywood bed sheeting if it is original. My unit was missing these pieces and I would like to duplicate as original. I am in St Vital.

By the way I do believe you can find suitable hinges for your door at LEE VALLEY TOOLS in Winnipeg or go to www.leevalley.ca and look for part number # 01H01.50 and 01H01.51 . These should do the job for you nicely! Also I haven't tried it yet but the weatherstripping around the side door of my GMC SAFARI van looks as if it will work good for the SURFSIDE door. I plan a trip to the Springfield road autowreckers to get a piece to try out!

Look forward to hearing from you.

Gerald

PS: Could the Westy tow the SURFSIDE? I wonder what year is your westy?
GHYNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:43 PM   #4

Hi Gina
Thank you for taking care of me, I will learn how to use this site & work with the rest of the fiberglass owners.
Again, Thank you

Kathy E.

Quote:
Hi,

I moved this topic to here so more Surfside owners might see it.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:02 PM   #5

Hi Gerald

Nice talking to you and thanks for the information on the hinges. Went to leeValley site and yes those will be perfect. Thanks again. I'm sorry our trailers are not the same layout, it would have been fun to compare work & changes. Here are some pictures of our paint job we had done. No interior pic's as of yet.

My picture is to big for this site, will have to figure it out before I can up load it.

Kathy E.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:25 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
My picture is to big for this site, will have to figure it out before I can up load it.
Kathy E.
Typically it's because folks are trying to upload PRINT quality (hi-res) pictures...you need a low-res pic. For info on reducing the size of your pictures and other stuff...see the Website Tutorial Photo Upload Tutorials, How-Tos

and for info on uploading, see Step by Step ~ Post Pictures help., Simon says, follow these steps

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surfside