I got the 2000# Dexter and it made a big improvement in the trailer's behavior. I have my doubts about what initial axle angle the installer got. I spec'd 10D but the guy was in his 50's and didn't like being told what was right. IAC, I just got back from a couple thousand miles towing the Surfside and the axle at least has worked well. It's likely just fine that it's 2000# instead of 1600#, which I planned initially, because I hope to add a second battery
, a second propane
tank and a tool box on the tongue. At the rear I hope to add boxes for a BBQ and firewood and also something to hold firefighting tools (shovel, rake, mattock, bow saw) readily available. That's definitely the Phase II plan - if the weather keeps trending like it is, I may not be building many camp fires in the next years.
I also replaced the 13" wheels with 14" and they fit well and look OEM. I have had no issues with towing the trailer, even w/out brakes; mostly at 60-70mph but occasionally 80-85 the few time I felt impelled to pass something _much_ slower. Not something to do as a habit but it seemed to work ok and I favor getting the puck out of the oncoming lane quick. Yes, I still have not hooked the brakes up; I got the vehicle wiring finished last spring but could not get to the trailer and then had the choice of travel or wrench. I traveled. Going to have to pull the wheels off soon to grease bearings and check the brakes are clear and moving.
I don't know what you've got or your plans, but if it involves a Surfside I would _strongly_ recommend putting a bright light
just in front of the wheels, pointing up, and opening up the cabinets and looking very carefully at the front bottom of the wheel wells. Both sides were severely cracked on my trailer, dangerously so. I cut the bottom out of the closet about 16" up and cut the floor out from under the sink to access the damage. I used epoxy and glass roving, mat and cloth to repair the damage and try to strengthen that area.
Unfortunate to say, but I have found several resin starved areas around the door and windows
. This means the glass there did not get enough resin to absorb and glue it together. They are definitely weak spots and I would not be surprised to find others similar. This may be model year related - mine is a 1977; there were production problems with bad batches of resin that appeared around then in numerous boats and cars and it seems the problems may have affected other GRP products, too. Or maybe the guy laying the glass had a bad day.