Surfside roof has black gunk on fiberglass - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2011, 05:56 PM   #1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: actively shopping for a 5th wheel
Manitoba
Surfside roof has black gunk on fiberglass

All,
I've recently found a White Surfside trailer 15 ft? in a neighbour's yard.
From the outside, it looks severely neglected. It is white with black gunk sort of flowing? off the roof.

Exterior
Can it be power washed to take off the "stuff"
Do you think that it will be permanently stained?
I expect that it is an accumulation of saps, dirt, etc.

Interior
I can't remember - do these trailer have a finished fiberglass interior? (other than the plywood, etc)
Could the interior be power washed?

If it has mold, is it possible to decontaminate it myself? I've heard all sorts of horror stories involving mold and am not really interested in taking on a project that involves dealing with massive amounts of it.

I would imagine that I would be buying the shell - If anything else is any good, it would be a bonus. But somehow I doubt it.

I would have to plan on replacing everything from the tires up.

Did these trailers have any particular weak spots or areas of concern?

Has anyone replaced the appliances recently?
Do you have rough costs of say the furnace, inverter/converter?, 3 way fridge, hot plates, cushions, roof vent - standard and powered, windows, etc?

Wayne
Wayne Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 77 Scamp
I love using a product named rv clean ...comes in very small bottle concentrated. Bottle is clear with green and yellow writing on in. Evergreen Rv has it for around 6.99. My trailer was pretty sludgy as well and for the most part looks good when washed and dried. Larry knows surf sides I think, Donna doesn't he have a surfside?...I'll zip him a line and see if he can chime in
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 77 Scamp
my bad larry has a compact Jr....
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
peterh and Lynn have a Surfside they're working on.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:10 PM   #5

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I love my Surfside. the black stuff is cleanable, just some elbow grease. depending on the year... it could have a FG interior with wood doors (mine) or it could also have plywood and Mactac.
only thing I want to do is beef up the frame (this spring). mine is a front kitchen model TM-14 so I guess the added weight causes some frame flex. I do love the layout though... queen size bed!
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:38 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Most Fiberglass trailers that have been left sitting for a year or two have black gunk on the roofs. Just give it a good scrub with Flygirls RV clean :-)and the use a good product from Meguiars or 3M with a wool compound pad to get the bad streaks/stains out all the way. If its not to bad you can often get away with just using a micro cloth rather than the compound pad.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I just developed a small leak on one side of my roof vent. Does anyone know if you have to pull the whole vent out or can I just stuff some butyl
underneath?
Thanks, Marina
Marinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #8

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1971 Amerigo
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Hill View Post
All,
I've recently found a White Surfside trailer 15 ft? in a neighbour's yard.
From the outside, it looks severely neglected. It is white with black gunk sort of flowing? off the roof.

Wayne
The Amerigo has - had - the same issue from sitting under a tree.
Take it to a car wash - bring a step ladder.

Peter
in Denver
Peter_Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:57 PM   #9

Name: Wayne
Trailer: actively shopping for a 5th wheel
Manitoba
Marinab,
It it was me I'd remove the vent and do it correctly. Being the top of the trailer, it is subject to every kind of weather that you experince. Water leaks lead to all sorts of problems down the line. Wood rot, ceiling stains, mold, just to name a few. I'd suggest starting a new topic and see what kind of responses you get.
Have you considered buying a new vent - stand or powered? I suspect that old vent may be brittle and could crack on you - typically just after you do all the work to seal it up nicely.

Wayne
Wayne Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:24 PM   #10

Registry
Oh Marina :-(((( The correct answer is pull it out completely. But knowing you have other stuff happening :-) you could try and put a little of that unmentionable goop on it until you have the time. You could also try stuffing it with a little Butyl but from experence its not likely to work all that well. Wayne raises a good point - if your going to pull it and its standard size its a good a time as any to replacing it.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:29 PM   #11

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Thanks Wayne and Carol, I thought that I might have to but was hoping..... . I'll have to wait till the weather breaks before I tackle it as I don't have any place to work on it that's under cover. Hopefully it will be done by the time I see you in April Carol...
Marina
Marinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #12

Registry
Marina you know that if you ever need a place to work on it undercover for a weekend your more than welcome to hail it over to my place.

Tags
surfside