surfside TM-14 Door lock replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2020, 11:00 PM   #1

Name: Happy Vongole
Trailer: Surfside
Alberta
surfside TM-14 Door lock replacement

Hello. Our trailer door lock is coming to the end of its time. It still works reasonably well and does lock. The problem is, it does not stay locked when travelling and it has been prone to come open on the wild road. We have resorted to using bungee cords but I would like to find a more permanent solution.

From doing some research on this site, it looks like my trailer has the infamous Bargman 400. I've seen that if I am able to find one it would be quite pricey.

I am wondering if anyone has installed a more modern lock on their surfside. Success? If so, what kind of lock did you use and was it a tricky install.

Thanks so much!
Happy Vongole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:13 AM   #2

Name: Nicolas
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Almonte, Ontario
Not sure if this lock will fill the bill but it is what i used to solve two problems: #1 the original had come to an end and needed to be moved forward to latch properly; #2 the original was a door handle and I kept getting hung up as I tried to squeeze past it in the garage I was using to do my repairs.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	135867
It works very well and has the double lock that keeps everything secure on the road and, in some cases, off the road.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:03 PM   #3

Name: Cate & Dan
Trailer: 1976 Triple E SurfSide "The Mutt Hut"
Manitoba
if you go to campingtreasures.com they sell a modern lock kit for replacing the Bargman 400 lock with a backing plate to cover the hole left by the original. There is an instructional video available on the sight so you can watch it first and decide if that is the way you want to go before you purchase. Good Luck.
Old Macdonalds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:24 AM   #4

Alberta
Thanks so much for these replies. I was also given some advice to watch Ebay for a vintage replacement lock or repair kit. From another great fiberglass rv post on lock issues I was able to see that my issue is most likely the bolt assembly has been worn and therefore the ability to latch is slowly deteriorating.

An entire vintage replacement is a bit out of my budget - but I am going to watch for a L-400 repair kit or bolt assembly part. If this fails...I may have to go the modern route. The one at camping treasures looks promising.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:25 PM   #5

Name: Zac
Ontario
I had the same problem with mine. But I took and ground off the end then got a block of steel, drilled and tapped, green lock tight and screwed it into the original and then ground the whole unit down to the right size. It’s been working great. Went on some decent long road trips so far so good. I might be able to get a picture if you need.
Zac
zac w. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:30 PM   #6

Ontario
Oh and if you do decide to get a modern one I would definitely be interested in purchasing your broken one. Good to have a few spare parts. 😄
Zac
Old 07-10-2020, 07:47 PM   #7

Alberta
Thanks Zac! I would love to see pictures if you have them. If I do switch it out I will be sure to keep you in mind!
Old 07-10-2020, 07:53 PM   #8

Ontario
Ok will do... probably tomorrow when it’s daylight. I was just thinking also if you don’t want to do it yourself you could always take the bolt to a machinist.... I’m pretty sure they could fix it.
Zac
Old 07-11-2020, 04:43 PM   #9

Ontario
Ok here’s some Pictures....
Attached Thumbnails
D4EDD29E-1BD9-4B67-9B4A-FEDB74D4971F.jpg   3488615A-4D35-4E8C-9401-96ECF6848548.jpg  

Old 07-12-2020, 08:47 PM   #10

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Another alternative.
https://lockeyusa.com/product/m220
David Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:21 AM   #11

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
The thing about all the modern replacements is they all are not cheap either. All will require door modification, cutting additional holes and sometimes patching fiberglass.

Meanwhile, vintage replacements can be found. These original locks lasted over forty years. If I can get twenty years out of a replacement, that will outlast me. The "trick" is to not jump on the first one you see, some are grossly overpriced.

I see nothing wrong with the Bargman L400 design. But after so many decades, stuff wears out. OK, I do see one problem. The shape of the L400 is unique, so replacements are not plug and play. Maybe, just maybe, someone will reproduce this lock, but maybe the market is too small.

Note on perhaps the BEST replacement option above, the Boler kit. From the seller: "This lock kit will not fit fibreglass trailers that have a moulded profile around the door lock like Trillium and Burro.... the lock will not work on doors thicker than 1½” So how thick your door is, and how flat the surrounding profile is, will determine if this kit works for you.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:18 AM   #12

Name: Robert gus
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Kitchener
I used this one on my trillium 1300, i had to cut a faceplate out of plywood, that i fitted the lock too, then fit the assemply into the recess in the door. I then removed the lock from the plywood and fiberglassed the plywood faceplate into the recess. It works and i i am going to make it better looking.
Gus G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surfside