Surge Brakes on A Lil Snoozy - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2016, 09:46 AM   #1
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Surge Brakes on A Lil Snoozy

I'm sorry for asking a dumb question but can you disable the surge brakes on the Lil Snoozy when backing up hill? Thanks!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:01 AM   #2

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Yes. You put a pin in the sliding tongue.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:47 AM   #3

Trailer: Predom Prespol (N126N) Captain
Registry
surge brakes on Captain

We have surge brakes on our Captain and use a piece of plastic pipe cut in half and then a notch in it to fit the cylinder. So yes, you can disable them. Assume lil snoozy is similar.
Jennifer
Jennifer Minogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:11 AM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Our 2014 Lil Snoozy, and I think all Lil Snoozy's with surge disc brakes have a solenoid that is activated to block out the brakes while backing up hill. To have this solenoid work, one must run a wire from the tow vehicles back-up lights to the center pin on the 7way trailer connection. If your Lil Snoozy did not come with a 7 pin connector, then you would have to change it over. We had the factory wire it that way even though electric brake connections will be left blank. You still CAN over ride this manually as described in the above postings, but it is so much easier to just not have to think about it and put your tow vehicle in reverse and go.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 12:47 PM   #5
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Thank you for the feedback. We thought we could disable them for backing up, but wasn't really sure. We were concerned about backing it up under our camper shelter when we brought it home in our hilly location. We're going to St Matthews tomorrow to order our Snoozy. So excited!!!!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 02:16 PM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
Lil Snoozy brakes

First find out if you have disc brakes or drum brakes
The 5th wire is for the block out solenoid feature for disc brakes if you do not have disc brakes you will have a 4 pin elec connection if you have disc brakes you will have a 5 pin elec connection.

We had a 2013 model and it had drum brakes with a 4 pin elec connection no need to block out brakes on a regular driveway .The only time you might have trouble is up a long steep driveway.We now have elec brakes on a 21 Escape trailer .I find the surge brakes to be a better option but Escape does not offer it With elec magnet brakes you have to have brake controllers and do not stop better at all .In fact one of the RV magazines said to get the best brakes would be to install disc brakes with elec/hydaulic brakes like most of the big boat trailers and better RV's.
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:00 PM   #7

Arizona
Registry
Thanks Jim. Ours does have the disc surge brakes. I went with the 7 pin plug because we had the factory install the Truckfridge 12 volt compressor refrigerator, and we wanted the house battery to be recharged by the tow vehicle as we traveled. (12 volt line to 7 pin connector from tow vehicle).
Dave & Paula
Old 11-14-2016, 08:25 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I special-ordered electric brakes for my Hauley; I've never been a fan of surge brakes. If you are just putting in your order, I bet you can specify which type you want.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:21 PM   #9

Florida
Registry
Lil Snoozy brakes

Dave you got an earlier Snoozy with Disc brakes or ordered them ? With a 7 pin you use all your pins except the blue one for brake controller I bought a Toyota Sequoia 07 and it did not have a trailer package missing was 12volt line or brake line for elec brakes so I ordered a prodogy RF unit and ran another wire for 12 volt to new Escape trailer .
BTW The Snoozy was built really well no problems except the blue line in the cassette toilet I really loved that little trailer but Grandkids got to big and we decided to get an Ecscape 21 nice trailer but if Snoozy had built a bigger trailer it would have been a hard choice .

If getting a new Snoozy get the disc brakes and wire up a 5 pin(7pin to 5 pin) on your truck or car and you will have no problems .
Old 11-14-2016, 10:37 PM   #10

Arizona
Registry
Jim, in 2014 they were offering either surge drum, surge disc, or electric brakes. I really wanted the disc as I have had many trailers with electric drum brakes, and was never impressed as one would always change the controller depending on changing weight of the trailer, speed, or road conditions. The surge disc have preformed flawless with seamless stopping for over 40,000 miles in various conditions.
Dave & Paula
Old 11-15-2016, 07:43 AM   #11

Florida
Registry
Lil Snoozy brakes

Dave,I couldn't agree more . When you start getting into 4000lb or more the elec/hydraulic work Great but for the Lil Snoozy it would be overkill

The elec /hydraulic work by having a pump that pushes the fluid to stop the brakes. The pump is activated by the brake controller in the cab of the truck .

You guys certainly have used your trailer how is the elec 12 volt fridge working out ? That was another option that I wanted Escape to do but no cigar I got the Dometic 3 way fridge(110,12 volt ,propane ) so far it works Great but way to soon to see .
Old 11-21-2016, 04:40 PM   #12

Arizona
Registry
Our Truckfridge works great.....even in our 110+ degree weather in Arizona. We did have to defrost it a couple of times while in humid areas around the country this summer.
Dave & Paula

Tags
brakes, lil snoozy