surge guard - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2016, 05:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
surge guard

I have a surge guard it works fine on my other trailers on the one that I got today when I check the test button then reset but it clicks off and wont reset no power in trailer
what to ck next ? thanks
Old 07-09-2016, 06:12 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMA & Pachyderm Posse View Post
I have a surge guard it works fine on my other trailers on the one that I got today when I check the test button then reset but it clicks off and wont reset no power in trailer
what to ck next ? thanks
The first thing I would do is check the supply outlet - it is possible that the surge protector is doing it's job & protecting your trailer from bad power. If you have a volt meter, check that the supply voltage is within acceptable range (108 - 132 volts). a three lamp tester can show if there is a ground connection & the hot & neutral are not reversed.

If the supply pedestal tests out OK, I'd suspect a problem with the Surge Guard. I don't know of any that check the trailer - they are designed to protect against bad pedestals.

If it still works OK with the other trailers after not working with your new one, I haven't got a clue...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:30 AM   #3

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Your post is really not that clear to me and this makes it tough to help you too?

Did you get a new Trailer or a new Surge Guard?
Are you at home or a campground?

Basically you need to start eliminating the possibilities one at a time.
So if you have known good power then the trailer might be trying to draw excessive power and you need to look there.
If you have a known good trailer as the load then it is likely the power.
If you have a new Surge Guard then try the power to the trailer without it.

Which is it?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:11 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Your post is really not that clear to me and this makes it tough to help you too?

Did you get a new Trailer or a new Surge Guard?
Are you at home or a campground?

Basically you need to start eliminating the possibilities one at a time.
So if you have known good power then the trailer might be trying to draw excessive power and you need to look there.
If you have a known good trailer as the load then it is likely the power.
If you have a new Surge Guard then try the power to the trailer without it.

Which is it?
I have a surge guard it works fine on my other trailers . trailers on the one that I got today when I check the test button then reset but it clicks off and wont reset no power in trailer
new trailer and at home .
Old 07-10-2016, 01:27 PM   #5

Quote:
I have a surge guard it works fine on my other trailers . trailers on the one that I got today when I check the test button then reset but it clicks off and wont reset no power in trailer

new trailer and at home .
Still can not comprehend what you are asking?

Is the trailer new and the Surge Protector new too or are you just trying your old surge protector on your new trailer?

So does the trailer power fine without the surge protector?

Sent from my iPhone don't expect too much
Old 07-10-2016, 04:34 PM   #6

Registry
ED see if you can follow this I have an surge protector it works fine on 4 other trailers . we have another trailer that we got last night. now when the new trailer is pluged up to the the serge protector it throws protector off . now it works well with all the other trailers .something is up in this trailer so why on earth would you bypass the serge protector! and risk burning trailer down ? every thing in now mute just sold the trailer 10 minutes ago .
Old 07-10-2016, 04:57 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
ED see if you can follow this I have an surge protector it works fine on 4 other trailers . we have another trailer that we got last night. now when the new trailer is pluged up to the the serge protector it throws protector off . now it works well with all the other trailers .something is up in this trailer so why on earth would you bypass the serge protector! and risk burning trailer down ? every thing in now mute just sold the trailer 10 minutes ago .
Why would the trailer burn down without a surge protector ?
There are millions of electrical instalation that do not have surge protection ., the NEC does not require surge protection and in my 40 years in the trade I can count on my fingers and toes the number of surge protectors that I have installed ,
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:19 PM   #8

This is just one bizarre thread?

You will not burn the trailer down any more without the surge protector than with it to just check to see if the problem is with the trailer or the protector,don't know where you got an idea like that but it makes little sense.

Anyway if you are saying it does not matter to you anymore then it sure does not matter to me anymore double!

At least I tried.