surge protector - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2016, 09:02 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
surge protector

OK brothers and sisters of the fiberglass trailer world. Do any of you folks use a surge protector? I see a 30 amp protector on sale for $89.00. I am curious that they may be preying on old folks that are afraid the world is sure to spin out of control (if they don't buy the super dooper anti-spin control). Don't most trailers have 'surge protection' with fuses?
Thanks for your help!
John
Old 02-13-2016, 10:30 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
None of the smaller trailers I've owned have had any surge protection. I like this one as it also has wiring fault indicators to check before you plug in the trailer, and I have found open grounds or crossed wires at campground pedestals.

Store | Little House Customs

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:40 AM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Most folks I camp with do use surge protectors as camp grounds are notorious for having unstable power supply so a surge protector is a really good thing to have :-)

As Charlie suggests its rare to find a built in surge protector on a small trailer such as ours.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:47 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
While I purchased my Escape17B prior to Escape offering an optional, hard wired surge protector (the EMS-HW30C), I added one & have found it useful. I prefer the hard wired version, easier to remember, less attractive to others, and the remote readout let me know the current the trailer is drawing - useful when connected to a 15 amp service.

It has shut down the trailer a couple of times when the campground voltage dropped below safe levels and on the rare occasion when the pedestal is miswired it would not allow the trailer to connect.

You do need at add a plug with the ground connected to the neutral if powering the trailer from most inverter generators otherwise the surge protector assumes that you have an open ground.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
While I purchased my Escape17B prior to Escape offering an optional, hard wired surge protector (the EMS-HW30C), I added one & have found it useful. I prefer the hard wired version, easier to remember, less attractive to others, and the remote readout let me know the current the trailer is drawing - useful when connected to a 15 amp service.

It has shut down the trailer a couple of times when the campground voltage dropped below safe levels and on the rare occasion when the pedestal is miswired it would not allow the trailer to connect.

You do need at add a plug with the ground connected to the neutral if powering the trailer from most inverter generators otherwise the surge protector assumes that you have an open ground.
X2 - on the EMS-HW30C surge protector. I also installed one. I like that it is hard wired and mounted inside my trailer so that it doesn't grow legs and walk off like the external ones have been known to do occasionally. As to those inexpensive ones, well, you get what you pay for. (Caveat Emptor baby!) These units also come with a lifetime warrantee, which is something you won't find elsewhere.

While I was at it, I also removed the utterly useless and most inconvenient small access hatch and unruly permanently attached shore power cord that the trailer came with, and I replaced it with one large enough to actually be useful. It also made the installation a lot easier to do from the outside without taking half the trailer apart on the inside to get to it. The shore power cord now gets coiled up and stowed in my rear Stow-Away box and plugs into the marine type twist-lock outlet I mounted next to the hatch. No longer is there a way for bugs and critters to get in around the cord slot in the old hatch, because there isn't one in the new hatch.

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/#!ems-hw30c/cuun

http://www.rvpartsinc.com/JR-Product...-RV-Parts.html
Attached Thumbnails
New Electrical Hatch1.JPG   New Electrical Hatch3.JPG  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:35 PM   #6

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
Do you have a surge protector on the service panel in your home ? If not you might worry about that first , in the case of a nearby lightning strike several folks in this part of the world have had their microwaves , televisions , water softeners , sewing machines etc destroyed. You can always unplug your trailer but not your home.
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:05 AM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
Thanks for the input, really appreciate it. I have purchased a surge protector. I had to tell my wife "honey I had too, look at the responses". I like the idea of trying to install inside. I really don't like braking noses of thieves unless I've done everything I can on my side to prevent confrontation. My Scamp is in storage but I can visualize the space under the bunk where the power cable is stored.
John