Surrendering to windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2022, 09:11 AM   #1

Name: Courtney
Trailer: 1982 13ft Scamp purchased on May 2nd
Georgia
Surrendering to windows

I gave it a valiant effort with countless hours and dollars spent trying to rehab the awning windows on my 1977 Scamp. The fact of the matter is, they’re an awful design and there’s a reason why Scamp only used them for a year and a half. It’s more important for me to have a camper that’s water-tight than one that’s completely original (and who am I kidding, it will not be near original when I’m finished with it regardless of windows).

My Scamp only has four windows:

Door: 14” W x 24” H
Sides: 21” W x 25” H
Front/Back: 43” W x 19” H

I plan on replacing the front and back with plexi.

Scamp doesn’t have windows whose dimensions will work for the side. The closest RecPro has is 24” x 24”, so I’d need to widen the width (no biggies) and build up the height of the opening (a pain). Similar situation for the window in the door.

I’d like to also add a small window in the kitchen.

Has anyone done this? Have advice? Is there another way to skin this cat?

Since I’ll be doing all of this work anyway, would it be worthwhile to build up a flange of sorts around each window hole on the exterior of the camper so that the windows can be mounted to a flat and more vertical surface (similar to Uhauls)?
courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 11:02 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I bought a Scamp side window to replace the side windows in our CT13 Uhaul. After receiving the window I found it was smaller than the opening in the Uhaul. Easiest fix was to get a piece of 1/8" flat aluminum that would overlap the opening and then cut out the correct size for the Scamp window. Sold the Uhaul and don't have any photos.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 09:47 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Hey Courtney! Hope you and the family is doing well. I thought you had sold your Scamp. Will you make it back to Hiawassee this year?
Anyway I am not familiar with RecPro do you have a link.

One option would be to add some fiberglass to the corners then cut the radius to fit a new window. It would involve removing the existing window, temporarily covering the outside with a sheet of smooth paneling or thin plywood, then peeling back some of the elephant skin or hull liner in the corners while you do the glass work. Then paint or gel coat the outside to match. Maybe more than you want to do but it a better option sometimes than finding an exact fit replacement for older windows.

Good luck with it,
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney View Post
I gave it a valiant effort with countless hours and dollars spent trying to rehab the awning windows on my 1977 Scamp. The fact of the matter is, they’re an awful design and there’s a reason why Scamp only used them for a year and a half. It’s more important for me to have a camper that’s water-tight than one that’s completely original (and who am I kidding, it will not be near original when I’m finished with it regardless of windows).

My Scamp only has four windows:

Door: 14” W x 24” H
Sides: 21” W x 25” H
Front/Back: 43” W x 19” H

I plan on replacing the front and back with plexi.

Scamp doesn’t have windows whose dimensions will work for the side. The closest RecPro has is 24” x 24”, so I’d need to widen the width (no biggies) and build up the height of the opening (a pain). Similar situation for the window in the door.

I’d like to also add a small window in the kitchen.

Has anyone done this? Have advice? Is there another way to skin this cat?

Since I’ll be doing all of this work anyway, would it be worthwhile to build up a flange of sorts around each window hole on the exterior of the camper so that the windows can be mounted to a flat and more vertical surface (similar to Uhauls)?
Old 03-14-2022, 04:08 PM   #4

Name: Courtney
Trailer: 1982 13ft Scamp purchased on May 2nd
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
Hey Courtney! Hope you and the family is doing well. I thought you had sold your Scamp. Will you make it back to Hiawassee this year?

Anyway I am not familiar with RecPro do you have a link.

One option would be to add some fiberglass to the corners then cut the radius to fit a new window. It would involve removing the existing window, temporarily covering the outside with a sheet of smooth paneling or thin plywood, then peeling back some of the elephant skin or hull liner in the corners while you do the glass work. Then paint or gel coat the outside to match. Maybe more than you want to do but it a better option sometimes than finding an exact fit replacement for older windows.

Good luck with it,

John

Hi John—sold my ‘82 a couple of years ago and bought this ‘77 last year. I *can* do the fiberglass work, but I don’t really *want* to. Found a site that does custom sizes. Waiting on a quote.

RecPro has standard sizes: https://www.recpro.com/rv-windows/

Custom sizes: https://www.rvwindows.com/products/series-1600/

Doubt the restore will be ready for Eggs this years…
courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 10:15 PM   #5

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
You can try Pelland Enterprises as well:

https://www.pellandent.com/
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows