Swapping emergency exit window - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2019, 05:04 PM   #1

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Swapping emergency exit window

Hi all

Long time no posting.

Now with more than 15K miles on our 19 Escape I am wondering how big a deal it may be to swap the "bed room" windows.

Escape installed the emergency exit window at the head end of the bed. This means one can not open it for fresh air. Would prefer it at the foot end and regular insulated one at the head.

Not as easy as swapping head end of the bed as reading lights were installed at head.

Both windows are the same size.

Any issues other than re-sealing at the shell?

Tnx,

Bat Dude
BatDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:15 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I regularly open the escape window and get more ventilation through it than any other window in the rig. But mine is a 2013 model.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:14 AM   #3

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
The issue is the red handle then protrudes into the bed space and also the window does not remain open. Also the blinds can not be fully lowered with the long handle in the way.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:24 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I seems to me adding a couple reading lights would be easier than swapping the windows. That said, Escape would seem the place to ask the question as they may have actually done it or know why you can't.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:02 AM   #5

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
We installed two of these from Walmart; screwed them up by the bed, attached to the window framing for support, and then plugged them into the nearest socket. I think we had to run an extension, but tucked it behind things. They are LED and work great.

About 5.98 each.

BEST

Kai
Attached Thumbnails
LED Reading Lamp from Walmart.jpg  
Old 06-27-2019, 11:42 AM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I would not ass-u-me that the two windows are the exact same dimensions. Could be a can of worms. Discussion with Escape is warranted.

Have you ever removed a large window, cleaned everything up, added new butyl and reinstalled? I wouldn’t do it for reading lights. I’d just install additional reading lights. Its easy to run them off the cabinet light on that side already.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 02:46 PM   #7

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
I agree with thrifty bill.

I just realized we have the double hull, with the plywood paneling inside the fiberglass shell, so putting up those lights was easy with screws. BUT you could easily get other lights designed to "stick" on...maybe even with batteries so no cords to bother you.

Will enjoy hearing how you solve this.

BEST
Kai