Sway control - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2003, 06:01 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Sway control

Just wondering if anyone uses a single friction sway control device as the only means of sway control? Also, is the Husky model http://www.bobstravelcenter.com/catalog/hu...rol_1892562.htm a decent one? I have a class II hitch (1 1/4 square reciever) and don't know if one of these would work. There is also the Reece http://www.reese-hitches.com/sway_controls.htm which looks like it would work on my hitch, but it is a lot more expensive.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Adrian
16' Scamp Deluxe

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 07:18 PM   #2

Adrian,

This has nothing to do with sway control, but I'd advise you to check the weight and tongue weight of the Scamp. I'd bet that your Class II hitch is overloaded. And when I say check the weight, I mean on a scale, don't rely on the published figures.

I used a single friction sway control on my Class III hitch towing my Casita. It worked very well. I don't think the brand matters much.

Old 05-03-2003, 07:29 PM   #3

ClassII hitch

My hitch is rated at 3500 lbs the same as the van I pull with. I think (hope) I am well within the limits. The tongue weight is ok I think, since I can lift the tongue with ease and the trailer sits almost level on the hitch.

Old 05-03-2003, 09:05 PM   #4

Sway Control

Adrian: I have one similiar to the Reese model 26660. Definitely works. I don't know that the brand matters much, they look similiar.

Old 05-04-2003, 07:34 AM   #5

how do you know if you need one

sway controlers have me totaly baffled. Do you need them on a 13 footer? Do you need a weight distributing hitch . how do they install. Right now i have a Rav 4 pulling a trillium 1300. and have not noticed any sway when being passed on interstate. I just have an anoying bobbing on rough roads and I am trying to find stiffer shocks. Any Thoughts?