Sway Controls Revisited!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2003, 08:20 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Sway Controls Revisited!!

I just insalled my sway control....I did drill 4 holes in the frame of the Scamp (not in the same places as on the plate since they were way too close to the top and bottom of the frame). I really don't think that they will effect the structual strength of the frame as there are just 4 and there is plenty of frame left and they only penetrated one wall. The frame was surprisingly heavy guage metal.

The question I have though is: Does anyone really disconnect their sway control when it is raining, or is this really not necessary? And, how tight do you tighten the "on/off" bar when ready to tow? It is my first experience with a sway control, but I will enjoy the extra security. I also installed a transmission cooler on the Nissan Quest for the same peace of mind. It is very easy to install yourself and it only cost $58 with shipping.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 04:38 AM   #2

>>disconnect in rain

I never have ... I know, the manual says you're supposed to. Will disconnect in ice ... and occasionally (when I remember) will loosen before backing into campsite.

>>how tight

I tighten until I feel some resistance, then back it off until lever is pointing straight down.

Old 05-13-2003, 05:05 AM   #3

sway bar tightness

Like Charlie says is correct ,if it still sways with the front wheel drive vehicle then tighten a 1/4 to 1/2 turn at a time till it stops swaying or the ride becomes to stiff.I've pulled my 16ft. with both front and rear wheel drive vehicles,you just need to find the correct tightness setting,don,t forget to unhook when turning while backing up or it will cost you another 150$:wave