Tall Person Fit - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2010, 09:43 PM   #1

Trailer: Palomino Pinto Pop-up
im 6'1 1/2'' tall and the tallest 16' fiberglass trailer that ive found is the scamp--there are a few newer trailers like the egg and the out of biz burro that are taller but it looks like i wont buy new or be lucky enough to find a burro--so are there other tall people out there who have made their peace w/ having to duck a little in exchange for the multiple advantages of a fiberglass trailer? im in a pop up now but i would like to move up to a lightweight self contained unit...thanks tom
tom e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I'm 6'3" and am able to stand up in the middle of our Trillium (Canadian make) 13' glass trailer, very similar in other dimensions to the Boler with the addition of a raised center section in the roof.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
It depends on what you do in the trailer -- if you mostly sleep in it but do all your cooking and eating outside, it's height isn't very important.

In my case, I prefer to cook and eat inside, away from the yellowjackets. I also wash up the dishes inside, and really don't like to have to keep my head ducked all that time. If you want to shower, it's no fun at all if you can't straighten up.

I wanted a trailer tall enough for me to stand up in, with one big bed for me and my wife, but otherwise very small and lightweight. That meant I gave up any idea of a bathroom and shower, because they add substantial weight in the various holding tanks.

I really like the Compact Jr because it fits my needs well. It has a pop-top "skull ridge" the full length of the trailer. The door is in the center of the back, so once I duck under the door jamb I can stand up straight. The dinnette is 6' long and easily seats 6 people. It makes up into a 71"x72" bed -- something which I will modify soon so MY half is longer.

If you want a shower and/or toilet the Compact Jr, or it's cousins, the Compact II, Hunter II, Trails West Campster, etc. are not for you. But if you don't need them, then you might consider a trailer with a little poptop for head clearance.

You can see a picture of mine here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...st&id=24511
More pictures here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...st&p=326104

As you look at the second link, notice the pictures in the avatars -- you will see the Compact II, the Campster, and others.

I would point you to the photo album that shows you all the different kinds of trailers but it seems to be not working at the moment.

If weight is not an issue for you, you could get a HiLo trailer with full bath and lots of other features. They pop up on CraigsList from time to time and the prices aren't too bad. It's just hard to find one under 19' -- most people want larger trailers.

Also, don't give up on finding a Burro if that's what you want -- just be willing to drive several hours once you find one. They DO show up from time to time.

Happy Hunting!!
Dana T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
You might be okay in a 17ft Casita. I'm 6'3" and don't fit in many things anyways. A little head tilt works, that and getting used to the head banger ... I mean door opening.
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:34 PM   #5

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
You might be okay in a 17ft Casita. I'm 6'3" and don't fit in many things anyways. A little head tilt works, that and getting used to the head banger ... I mean door opening.
LOL..................... But really, once was enough for me to remember the door opening is shorter than me.

Tom, most are head tilters as Brian stated. But I have been in a EggCamper and it's awesome for height and width. I am 5'9 and in our Casita I skim along the ceiling. In the EggCamper I could stand tall............ They do come up for sale used so you might want to watch for one. They are really nice. Not to say I don't love my Caista, but the EggCamper is a whole different egg.....
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
One word.......Bigfoot!

Not as "light" as a Scamp or Casita though.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:04 AM   #7

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
im 6'1 1/2'' tall and the tallest 16' fiberglass trailer that ive found is the scamp--there are a few newer trailers like the egg and the out of biz burro that are taller but it looks like i wont buy new or be lucky enough to find a burro--so are there other tall people out there who have made their peace w/ having to duck a little in exchange for the multiple advantages of a fiberglass trailer? im in a pop up now but i would like to move up to a lightweight self contained unit...thanks tom
Tom I'm 6'1" and have an 03 16' Scamp that I am quit comfortable in. My last trailer was a 13' Scamp and it was a head scraper but it was OK because I don't stand as much as I thought I would be.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:36 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 19 ft
Check out the Escape trailers, http://www.escapetrailer.com/
Old 02-11-2010, 02:03 AM   #9

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: tom e... I believe that "Our Escape Hatch" Escape 5.0 5th.wheel has the most headroom of all new fiberglass trailers. At the rear dinette table it is 6' and at the bottom of the steps to the bed it is 7'. The bed is a queen size mattress with a fore/aft sleeping arrangement. Here's a self portrait but it's hard to show the height!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie p.s. under the a/c unit is 6'3"
Attached Thumbnails
self_portrait.jpg   hangers_on.jpg  

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:43 AM   #10

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Uhaul is fine for my tall hubby.

CindyL
Old 02-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
I held off buying a molded fiberglass camper for many years because I'm 6' 4" and couldn't bring myself to buy one I couldn't stand up straight in. When I found out the EggCamper had a 6' 7" inside height I traveled over 1000 miles to buy one sight unseen. Jim Palmer, the EggCamper designer and builder, is 6' 3" and after owning a Casita, decided that tall people need a camper they can stand up in. The EggCamper is 88" wide, so the bed is plenty long too! Additionally, the weight of the 17' EggCamper is under 2500 lbs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Back__Medium_.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	26241

Click image for larger version

Name:	Front__Medium_.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	26242
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:32 PM   #12

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I'm 6'1" and my head just touches the ceiling of the 17ft Burro I have. So I can't really stand up straight, but I kind of got used to it. I don't spend much time standing in the trailer other than cooking. The interior height doesn't bother me, rather it's the entry door height. I don't remember the number of times I've slammed my head on the door frame stepping out. I took off some skin and drew blood during a couple of those episodes.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:05 PM   #13

i had the same experience when i was stationed on a ship that you had to duck and step over at every hatchway--i have these bumps and scars left to prove it...sigh thanks all for the feedback--since i plan to spend some time camping over the next several many yrs--continually ducking and ceiling grazing might get old fast...theres still a little time till spring so i may find the burro from heaven or my rich aunt will die and i can buy an egg off the lot or maybe get a 50' winnie for $150 on craigs list and retrofit it with a sail...hey anyone want to invent a fiberglass stretcher kit? tom
Old 02-12-2010, 08:58 AM   #14
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I would point you to the photo album that shows you all the different kinds of trailers but it seems to be not working at the moment.
Albums are back!!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:07 AM   #15

hey dana--if i look for an older trailer like yours what do i focus on for future probs/fixes etc.? my first pop up was almost 30 yrs old and i didnt have any probs--i guess im a little bit nervous spending 4-7 grand on something half as old as i am! i think i would have a rv place check it out befor traveling a long ways...thanks tom
Old 02-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #16

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
Quote:
hey dana--if i look for an older trailer like yours what do i focus on for future probs/fixes etc.?
Everything needs checking:
Frame -- is it straight, are there any cracks or breaks?
Axle -- if rubber torsion, has it been replaced? If not, rubber that old is dead and you basically have no springs so you will have to replace it.
-- if leaf spring, check the spring leaves, hanger and shackle pivots. Springs die, and pivots wear out -- but how quickly depends on quality, lubrication, and usage,
Wheels -- any cracks, dings in the rim, or exceptionally rusty?
Tires -- Sufficient tread? Even if you have tread, make sure they are not showing cracking -- if so replace them immediately!
Brakes -- do they work, and are they properly adjusted?
Axle bearings -- are they in good shape and properly lubricated?

And so on -- check the body, door, windows for cracks, leaks, and resulting damage.

Take a look at the "Buyers Check List" on the lefthand menu halfway down from the FiberglassRV.com logo for more specifics.

In my case I wanted something that was structurally sound, had a heater, cooktop, and 3-way fridge in working order for not too much money. Of course I didn't get everything I wanted, but for $900 I got a solid (well, as solid as they made them) frame, an intact body, rotted out window frames and interior woodwork, a solid floor (amazing considering the condition of the rest of the wood), a 3-burner cooktop (rusty but working), a gravity furnace of unknown condition, and no fridge at all. I probably overpaid but it gave me something to start working on. Of course I immediately had to shell out another $200 for tires, and later bought a fridge, and this and that, and I'm now over $2,000 into that trailer. But it's becoming quite uniquely suited for what I want to do. It will probably be worthless if I tried to sell it because it is so expressly geared to boondocking, parked at "campgrounds" determined largely by my imagination instead of clearly defined spots in an established campground.

We just got back from a trip to the Mojave desert and had a blast, so that part's good. The downside is that we discovered some things I thought were "done" really aren't and I need to rework them again. But I never have to wonry about running out of things to do....

Good luck on your search. The important thing to figure out is what you want your trailer to do -- lotsa beds or just one, what size bed(s), set up for boondocking (no hookups) or always hooked up, bathroom (weighty but convenient) or not (maybe just a porta potty, or if you really want lightweight, some WAG bags), big and roomy or small and light and maneuverable, and so on.
Dana T is offline   Reply With Quote