Tandem vs single…. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2014, 08:29 AM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Tandem vs single….

A recent thread here is discussing the benefits of remaining small and nimble if given the choice to have any camper available at no cost. This got me thinking about the pro and con of the single axle versus dual axle set up being discussed. Several members feel the single axle simplicity and agility is what they want. Having towed both I feel there are some benefits to the dual axle set up. Safety being the prime reason, as the extra margin of safety the dual axle allows. In addition they also tow straighter and are less prone to wind shifts. I have left a coffee cup sitting on the counter and it was there 60 miles later. I have not had any issues with campsites and ease of backing in of dual vs single axle. Some people complain about the inability to stow items for in flight, it seems everything ends up on the floor. The horror stories about the refer coming open or the upper cabinets spilling their contents. These are single axle attributes. The dual torsion axle set up is smooth and stable and a lot easier on the trailer and it contents. The trailer does not bounce around like a ballon following the string. It merely follows where it is pointed.
Now the extra weight of course is the negative result but I feel the positives out weigh the negatives.I read someplace that an extra 1000# will cost you 10% gas, so instead of 20 mpg you will get 18 mpg or over 20,000 miles a year it may cost you another 100 gallons. What do you think?
Old 01-26-2014, 08:38 AM   #2
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
The only other downside I can think of is the increase in cost of tolls and ferries, when the charge is by the number of axles.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:26 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
A recent thread here is discussing the benefits of remaining small and nimble if given the choice to have any camper available at no cost. This got me thinking about the pro and con of the single axle versus dual axle set up being discussed. Several members feel the single axle simplicity and agility is what they want. Having towed both I feel there are some benefits to the dual axle set up. Safety being the prime reason, as the extra margin of safety the dual axle allows. In addition they also tow straighter and are less prone to wind shifts. I have left a coffee cup sitting on the counter and it was there 60 miles later. I have not had any issues with campsites and ease of backing in of dual vs single axle. Some people complain about the inability to stow items for in flight, it seems everything ends up on the floor. The horror stories about the refer coming open or the upper cabinets spilling their contents. These are single axle attributes. The dual torsion axle set up is smooth and stable and a lot easier on the trailer and it contents. The trailer does not bounce around like a ballon following the string. It merely follows where it is pointed.
Now the extra weight of course is the negative result but I feel the positives out weigh the negatives.I read someplace that an extra 1000# will cost you 10% gas, so instead of 20 mpg you will get 18 mpg or over 20,000 miles a year it may cost you another 100 gallons. What do you think?
A couple of points...
The ride quality has more to do with axle capacity matching trailer weight. Our single axle trailer has ridden for years with a paper towel roll standing in the corner of the countertop.

Trailer attitude becomes much more important for tire load and wear with a tandem axle.Tongue too high loads the rear axle,too low loads the front axle.

Tire scrub and side loading become an issue with tandems when cornering.
I don't really see the safety issue,since a flat tire on either setup is not likely to cause an accident. In fact trailer damage is often caused by the driver not noticing a flat until the tire disintegrates and starts tearing up the wheel well. (twice the number of tires means twice the number of tire failures.)
The number of axles needed rests more with issues such as overall weight(and load distribution) and trailer length (and distance from hitch to axle).

On a tandem axle utility trailer, tandems gain advantage due to a greater tolerance for a variety of loads (even empty)and their distribution. This is less important with an RV since it is pretty much the same load and distribution every time, so once you've got it engineered and loaded right you're good with either design.
Axle alignment (not wheel alignment) is much more critical with tandems since they must be in exact relation with each other and with the frame to prevent scrubbing and tire wear even when going straight.
Dog tracking doesn't really affect a single axle and it doesn't have a second axle with which it must share alignment.
Truly each type has its place and advantages, depending on the application and engineering acumen.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:30 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
The only other downside I can think of is the increase in cost of tolls and ferries, when the charge is by the number of axles.
Here in BC the tolls for ferries and bridges is based on length only.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:36 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Twice the amount of tires also means twice the cost when it's time to buy new tires. Plus if you want fancy wheels... well, that's more cost. Two more sets of bearings to maintain. An additional axle to replace when THAT time comes. Leveling side-to-side comes with it's own issues on tandems; easy-peasy on a single axle.

I didn't buy the classic Escape 5er because it didn't have tandems any more than I AM buying the new TA 5er because it does. It is what it is and all things considered, for me, it's about many other reasons.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:55 AM   #6

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
Jim, if I was shooting for a larger and heavier trailer, I suspect a tandem would just come as part of the package and I wouldn't give it much thought. I just hope I'm smart enough to figure out, like others have, how to keep stuff from flying all over the place when I go over washes and other bumpities and such. I've already solved the fridge door opening issue. My "small and nimble" mentality is just a mindset, a control issue for me I suppose, and time will tell if it's silly or not. What I'd REALLY REALLY like is Donna's upcoming 5th wheel with an escalator to the top bunk, or a standard 20-footer with a button to shrink it up lengthwise when I'm towing. I know, I know. Women, sheesh.

Sharon
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:18 AM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I think that the entire discussion on single v. dual axles is a moot point.

One usually selects a trailer based on the size of what's needed and that will, in almost every case, determine if you get a single or a dual axle. The builders usually select the axle configuration based on how much tire carrying capacity they need.

It's not like we have many opportunities to get the size trailer we want and then have to determine the number of axles, it is what it is.

And, as mentioned, dual axle trailers, at least in FGRV's are always the heavier ones, that's why they need 4 tires.

A good example is the 17' vs. the 19' Bigfoot. That extra 2 feet and a second axle adds over 1000 lbs.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:35 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Or in the case of the 19' Escape, it doesn't really need tandem axles, but consumer demand dictates the design.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:41 AM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
At close to 4000 lbs loaded wouldn't a 19' Escape be a bit towards the upper limit of just two tires, espcially 2 tires that were 5 years old?????

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:46 AM   #10

Don't know. I just know that tandem vs. single was up for discussion at one point in the design. A major consideration was that the consumer expects tandem on a trailer of that size.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:14 PM   #11

One more factor - tandem axle means twice as many tires on the ground, twice the friction, more drag resulting in poorer fuel economy.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:42 PM   #12

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
If I were seeking validation as an adherent of the safety-first school, I'd look at the curb weight, wheelbase, suspension, horsepower, gearing, and braking capacity of the tow vehicle and let em put the trailer over the number of axles they deem necessary.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:21 PM   #13

Trailer:
Tandem axles give the advantage of either smaller wheel boxes, or even a flat floor, for a given floor height, since their wheels can be smaller.

Tandem axles probably give a little less drag. The rolling resistance will be much the same single.v.double since rolling resistance is a constant times vehicle weight and does not depend on the number of tires. If the tires on a tandem axle are narrower, that will cut a little bit of aero drag - and most folks forget how important aero drag is.
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbens View Post
The rolling resistance will be much the same single.v.double since rolling resistance is a constant times vehicle weight and does not depend on the number of tires.
And, what is the "constant"? Could it be resistance of the wheel to turn? So, shouldn't that be 2 X the "constant" since there are twice as many wheels?
Do tires on tandem axle trailers last twice as long as tires on single axle trailers?

I don't have the answers, just the questions.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:35 PM   #15

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Airstreams have several models, single axle, with GVWR rations up to 5,000 lbs, with lengths up to 22'. Some older models have been even longer with single axles. But they all have less carrying capacity than the smaller tandem fiberglass units. In addition if you look at Frederick's numbers, there are a lot of Casitas that are at max or over the axle capacity. So the tandem would allow a greater margin of safety for some of the 3300# or heavier Casitas. IMHO that is the reason for the dual Escape 19', close to 1500 lbs of carrying capacity for safety.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:48 PM   #16

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I would imagine the primary reason for dual axles is to handle the weight of the trailer. Other than weight, I can see no real reason for the manufacturer to increase the cost and weight of his design. As the trailers get larger, more volume is available for rarely used items, as humans we manage to fill the space available and can easily approach the load capacity of the trailer.

Jim, description of some Casita 17 loaded weights is a reasonable example.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:57 PM   #17

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Which tires are used on 5000# single axle?
Old 01-26-2014, 04:30 PM   #18

According to the Treo site, toll manager for the Port Mann bridge, tolls are according to length, not axles.
Medium Vehicles

$6.00
per crossing
A car with a trailer, a cube van or a motorhome.
A motor vehicle between six and eight metres in length.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:39 PM   #19

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
My 2005 Rockwood had tandem torsion axles, and stuff bounced all over the place; cabinet doors and drawers opened all the time. My current KZ Escape is a single spring axle and I don't have anything popping open inside. The number of axles does not seem to be the determining factor.

I enjoy smaller trailers, and usually the lighter weight of these trailers allows a single axle to carry the load. I don't see any sway or handling problems coming from the lack of a second axle. I also enjoy buying half as many tires!

Oklahoma turnpike tolls are based on number of axles... another hurray for my single axle.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:56 PM   #20

Had a look at my Treo bill. Last crossing cost $9.

Large Vehicles

$9.00
per crossing
A commercial truck with or without a trailer, a motorbus or a large motorhome.
A motor vehicle that is eight metres or more in length, or a medium vehicle with a trailer having a combined length of eight metres or more.

8 metres is 26.24 feet. My RAV and 17 foot trailer come to 34 feet.