Tape for Flexible Solar Panel on Roof - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2017, 11:00 AM   #21

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Colorado
My understanding was that solar panels perform best when cool. Heating them up reduces their output. I was considering taping my flexible panel to the roof until I discovered this information and now have it mounted on a frame I can move about.
ckayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:00 PM   #22

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
3M VHB all the way around is what I would use. To remove items adhered by VHB dental floss works pretty good. It doesn't remove the VHB from the trailer for the panel but seperates the VHB in too. Piano wire works also.

In order for VHB, and I assume any adhesive, to work well the surface has to cleaned and cleaned well. I would recommend rubbing alcohol followed by distilled water to make sure the surfaces are clean and free of residue.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:17 AM   #23

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
3M VHB all the way around is what I would use. To remove items adhered by VHB dental floss works pretty good. It doesn't remove the VHB from the trailer for the panel but seperates the VHB in too. Piano wire works also.

In order for VHB, and I assume any adhesive, to work well the surface has to cleaned and cleaned well. I would recommend rubbing alcohol followed by distilled water to make sure the surfaces are clean and free of residue.
Someday after enough people have read the following advice it will enter into tribal knowledge so that a lot of people know how to completely and safely remove the VHB tapes.

After splitting the two halves of the tape at their center foam line...To finish removing the VHB tape without causing damage to the surface and without using chemicals do this...

Using a straight edge plastic razor blade, plastic putty knife, or even the edge of an old expired credit card, scrape and tease up an inch or so of the material at the end of it lifting up enough of it so that you can then grab onto that end with a pair of wide, flat, pliers. Now pull slowly on the pliers while keeping the pulling action on the material as parallel a possible to the surface the tape is stuck onto. The VHB material will then stretch out and slowly release from the surface inch by inch. Every once in a while move the pliers in closer to where the material is still adhered so that you keep the pulling action nice and strong. Taking it slow and easy is the key to removing it, it will only release by the parallel pulling action.

You likely have seen those 3M easy to remove adhesive tabs that secure things to your walls. The kind that you pull on the tab keeping the pull parallel to the wall so that it can be removed without damaging the wall. Well those adhesive tabs are another version of 3M VHB tape. So the same removal method of pulling parallel to the surface can be used on other variations of VHB tape. When installing the tape for mounting panels or brackets if you wish to you can leave an inch or so of tape sticking out beyond what you have mounting to assist in later removing what you have mounted.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:14 AM   #24

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Someday after enough people have read the following advice it will enter into tribal knowledge so that a lot of people know how to completely and safely remove the VHB tapes.
3M m makes VHB tape. They also tell you how to disassemble items bonded with it and remove the residue.

http://solutions.3m.com/3MContentRet...bute=ImageFile

But your tips are also helpful. I have found that pulling as you describe works a little but the tape usually tears pretty soon, unlike the Command Strips.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, solar panel