Tedco fridge won't light pilot (at all) - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2021, 10:58 PM   #1

Name: Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Tedco fridge won't light pilot (at all)

Hi all,
Currently working my way through a refresh of a mid-70s Trillium 1300. Working on the fridge at the moment and can't wrap my head around it. The fridge works OK on AC, haven't bothered on DC but for the life of me I cannot get it to run on gas. And by not getting it to run, I mean I cannot even get gas to the pilot light. Thus far I have:
: removed and cleaned burner assembly
: removed and cleaned gas line from controls to burner
: by passed all gas lines and connected directly to tank (and reg of course, which is new and runs the stove top just fine)
: blown everything I can think of with compressed air
: white gas knob is turned to Gas ON, electric switch to OFF
: while trying to start I have pressed the red thermocouple bypass button
: interior electric switch is OFF and gas is on medium (3)

I've tried a number of times in the hopes that there is a blockage but I feel like I am missing something simple when it comes to the valve/dial assembly as I THINK it should be a simple On OFF situation.

Any insight??? I am thinking it must be something simple...

Cheers
ratherbecamping01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:55 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500, 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Try ...

- Takes a while for propane to work its way to the burner.

- Did you try lighting the burner directly with a match. That worked for me on the Tedco fridge in our Boler 13. That was after cleaning out the propane line, replacing the regulator, etc.

- Remove the burner jet and soak it in alcohol. This made the difference on our Boler 17 Dometic fridge. I looked at the burner jet orifice with a magnifying glass before and after I soaked it in alcohol. It was definitely clogged before I soaked it.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:31 AM   #3
GOB

Name: Michael
Trailer: Scamp 19
Missouri
Refer not working on propane

Don't know about your refer but on mine the red button is a Prizo igniter and you have to hold the gas valve in to bypass the thermo coupler.
GOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:05 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500, 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOB View Post
Don't know about your refer but on mine the red button is a Prizo igniter and you have to hold the gas valve in to bypass the thermo coupler.
Agree, must hold the gas valve to light the burner. I used a match to light the fridge while having a second person hold the gas valve button. If the fridge only lights with a match, then the piezo lighter may need to be re-positioned or replaced.

Also, note that the gas valve button needs to be held for some period (20 seconds?) after the burner lights.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:33 AM   #5

Name: Doug
Trailer: Trillium 1300 1973
British Columbia
Registry
The thermocouple when heated by the flame generates enough power to hold the solenoid in place so that you can release the solonoid bypass gas valve. Could be thermocouple needs replacing or it is not close enough to flame. Thermocouples fail far more often than solenoids. Tip of thermocouple needs to be as close to flame as possible without interfering with it.
Old 01-27-2021, 03:31 PM   #6

Name: Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
British Columbia
The red button is the thermcouple bypass on my fridge. You need to press it to get the gas flowing and as soon as it gets hot you let it go. Of course, that is the theory that has worked on a number of other 3-way fridges I have used in the past.

I gave up on the piezo started and am using a bbq lighter.

One more take apart and clean tonight. I used brake clean this time so maybe that'll dislodge something.

Cheers for the responses.
ratherbecamping01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:45 PM   #7

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Don't know if this will work for you but I always start from the tank, make sure it is filled and follow the gas line down stream checking for gas.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, light