Tekonsha prodigy p2 trailer brake controller - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2018, 08:16 AM   #1
koy

Name: Cory-Casita
Trailer: Casita
North Carolina
Tekonsha prodigy p2 trailer brake controller

Hello, i have this new tekonsha prodigy p2 trailer brake controller just install on my honda oddessy, but i just don't know how to set it up ? I call the manufactory tech. ,but they said that every trailer are different weight, so they don't tell me what to set it up. My 16' casita is about 2300 lb. Gross weight. Do any one know how do i set my brake controller at or use it .this is my first brake controller , i'm still learning -thank-you.
koy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:28 AM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by koy View Post
Hello, i have this new tekonsha prodigy p2 trailer brake controller just install on my honda oddessy, but i just don't know how to set it up ? I call the manufactory tech. ,but they said that every trailer are different weight, so they don't tell me what to set it up. My 16' casita is about 2300 lb. Gross weight. Do any one know how do i set my brake controller at or use it .this is my first brake controller , i'm still learning -thank-you.
The way you are supposed to set it up is to drive about 1/4 mile or so with the manual lever at 1/2 way to warm up the brakes. Then you can stop and pull over, switch the manual lever all the way to the left and then use the scroll wheel to set the brakes to maximum "13". Then start driving again and brake with the manual lever by putting it all the way left. Have your window open so that you can hear if the tires are locking up. If they are lower the brake power to 12, then to 11, then to 10. Until you no longer here the tires locking up.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:27 PM   #3

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
We usually try to find a gravel parking lot to drive around while adjusting the brake controller setting so that the trailer wheels brake and beginning skidding on the gravel. Then, reduce the brake setting a little and try this on a hard surface.

Having used this method for two campers, it seems to work well and the camper seems to stop pushing the tow vehicle.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:44 PM   #4

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
What did you do with the instructions that came with the unit?