Temporary paint or sealant? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2022, 07:34 PM   #1

Name: Frank
Trailer: Scamp
MI
Temporary paint or sealant?

NOTE: This is a reply to my post here:https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...amp-98439.html

When I was cleaning my trailer with the pressure washer, my wife said there was water dripping down from the ceiling inside. Is it possible that water came through the fiberglass itself?

I want to hold off on painting the exterior until I have the right location to do so. But in the meantime I want to repair the Ensolite on the inside. A leaky roof would prevent glues from sticking or interior paint from adhering. The trailer is stored outside.

Should I paint the exterior with a cheap paint, or apply a sealant that will stop leaks, and then later do a nice paint job? Any product recommendations?
Frank R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 08:54 PM   #2

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Check your ceiling vent to see if the leak is around it. Also the rivets that go through the roof can start leaking after all those years. You can use Dicor or equivalent sealant to seal around the vents or the heads of rivets that are leaking. Also check to make sure all of the rivets are there. My boler was missing one which the previous owner didn't replace, he just put silicone caulk on the hole. It started leaking. Do not put sealant nor cheap paint. Do not use any Silicone caulk! That stuff will drive you batty when you have to remove it! Ask me how I know.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 05:19 AM   #3

Name: Frank
Trailer: Scamp
MI
Thanks Alex; good info.

I was thinking about rolling and tipping on some Brightsides one-part urethane paint. Not cheap but there are two-part paints that are better.

I can see brush marks from a previous owner, so I don't have to be too concerned; I would later have to do a real thorough job of sanding to get those out (if I ever could).
Frank R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint