The frame of her boler 1974 is completely split. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2017, 02:14 PM   #1

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
The frame of her boler 1974 is completely split.

Emergency!
She has just discovered that the frame of her boler 1974 is completely split at the level of the trailer attachment on the left!
Is it possible to weld it?
Should you change the frame in full ??

Do you know a good RV shop in Penticton, BC ??

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Pen....5937077?hl=fr

For a member of the group Bolerama Quebec ...

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/marjolaine.commelepice?fref=nf

Thank You
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:59 PM   #2

Name: Allan
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Boloer Frame

Been there, Done That! Those Boler frames all rusted-out from the inside of the frame because there were no drain holes to let the moisture escape. Patch welds won't work because the frame just breaks at the next weakest rust point. I speak from experience during our trip to Alaska and back, several breaks w/rewelds and we limped home. We removed that old frame, quite easy to do, it's only held on with sheet metal screws. We used that frame as a template to make a new frame out of 3" channel material. We added 12" to the front reach of the new frame which increased the distance between the ball hitch and the axle, resulting in much easier to back the unit up without jack-knifeing, adde a 3" lift to the axle for better ground clearance too. Also changed that old 1 7/8" ball hitch to a new 2" ball hitch. Final mod for the new frame was to add 12" to the frame length at the back so we had room for a bike carrier. Basic cutting and welding skills took us several evenings, less that a week to do the job The longer wheelbase towed better, backed up much easier and that channel will never rust out again. This was done back in 1987 and that 1974 Boler is still on the road.
Bigfoot 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:33 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
I just got my Trillium back on the road.

In my case, I pulled the frame out, took off all the paint on the frame, had a fabricator inspect it, added a 3" lift that extended 18" past the original. Plus a new 3500 pound axle, with 22-1/2 degree down angle, installed in the trailing position.

I will be upgrading the coupler to 2", probably over the winter.

Basically the same work
Trill136 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler