Been there, Done That! Those Boler
frames all rusted-out from the inside of the frame because there were no drain holes to let the moisture escape
. Patch welds won't work because the frame just breaks at the next weakest rust point. I speak from experience during our trip to Alaska and back, several breaks w/rewelds and we limped home. We removed that old frame, quite easy to do, it's only held on with sheet metal screws. We used that frame as a template to make a new frame out of 3" channel material. We added 12" to the front reach of the new frame which increased the distance between the ball hitch and the axle
, resulting in much easier to back the unit up without jack-knifeing, adde a 3" lift to the axle
for better ground clearance too. Also changed that old 1 7/8" ball hitch to a new 2" ball hitch. Final mod for the new frame was to add 12" to the frame length at the back so we had room for a bike carrier. Basic cutting and welding skills took us several evenings, less that a week to do the job The longer wheelbase towed better, backed up much easier and that channel will never rust out again. This was done back in 1987 and that 1974 Boler
is still on the road.