The Pink Stuff - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2016, 06:40 AM   #1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
The Pink Stuff

Hi,
Due to a heavy hand I have probably a gallon plus of antifreeze in my fresh water tank. In an effort to practice the 3 "R's" I was wondering if I could drain it an reuse it, or does it degrade over time. Any insights would be appreciated. Peace
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:52 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I buy RV anti-freeze at the end of the season, on sale, for $3.99 a gallon. I use two gallons a year to winterize. <$10 a year is cheap maintenance. I wouldn't bother trying to recycle from year-to-year for that price. IF the anti-freeze is reused and doesn't do its job... the price could be very high. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:00 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I buy RV anti-freeze at the end of the season, on sale, for $3.99 a gallon...
I get mine at Walmart and always pay well under $3 a gallon. I wonder if there is any difference between the cheaper "Super Tech" brand and, lets say, Prestone. One thing for sure, either is better new than used.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:11 AM   #4

Connecticut
The Pink Stuff

Hey Donna & Gordon,
Thanks for the replies, it's not an expense issue for me. I was more concerned with the environmental impact.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:16 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwig View Post
Hey Donna & Gordon,
Thanks for the replies, it's not an expense issue for me. I was more concerned with the environmental impact.
Wayne, RV anti-freeze is food safe (vs motor vehicle anti-freeze). You could actually drink the stuff and it won't "hurt" you... although I can think of a lot better beverages!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:17 AM   #6

North Carolina
Quote:
Hey Donna & Gordon,
RV antifreeze is generally not an environmental concern. Auto antifreeze should be recycled (not reused) but if you are using it in your RV then your family has bigger problems, including a possible funeral.

From the horse's mouth, but not all that helpful really:
http://www.rsu34.org/safety/safety/m...Antifreeze.pdf
and
http://ops.americanamb.com/1101MSDS/...Antifreeze.pdf

Another consideration is that it might be diluted in your RV.. can you be sure about how much water was left in the tank? So you really don't know how much protection is offers when you dilute it a second or third time.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:42 AM   #7

Connecticut
Wink The Pink Stuff

Donna & Gordon,
Thanks, I'm going to drain the RV antifreeze, dispose of it properly and rather than the pink stuff, I think I'll have a beer.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:13 AM   #8

North Carolina
Quote:
Donna & Gordon,
Thanks, I'm going to drain the RV antifreeze, dispose of it properly and rather than the pink stuff, I think I'll have a beer.
Darn Wayne.. drinking at 09:42 AM? Maybe we need to have a different talk...

Oh you meant have a beer when you drain the tank later in the day I guess.. yes, a much better beverage for sure.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:58 AM   #9

Name: Bill & Jeanie
Trailer: Building camper in Ram Promaster van
North Carolina
Propylene Glycol (pink stuff) will not deteriorate significantly over time - I use it in a solar hot water system with a ten year expected life. The main considerations for you are dilution and contamination. It is already dilute when you buy it in the gallon jugs and any water added makes it freeze at a higher temperature.
wbullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:04 AM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Pink Stuff

I dont know if it is just Texas or hot areas but I put the RV pink stuff from Walmoat into my holding tank last winter and then when I went to drain it this spring it literally was like jello in the bottom. Big globs of black molded jello. I bleached it and killed the mold and then forced high sprays of water into the tank and flushed it out the drain but never had that happen before. We are notorious for black mold here in Tx. I never use it for drinking water anyway but it was disgusting. I was worried about it clogging my water lines to the heater and bathroom but managed to get it all flushed out.
Not sure what went wrong but will be careful this winter.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:29 AM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
I dont know if it is just Texas or hot areas but I put the RV pink stuff from Walmoat into my holding tank last winter and then when I went to drain it this spring it literally was like jello in the bottom. Big globs of black molded jello. I bleached it and killed the mold and then forced high sprays of water into the tank and flushed it out the drain but never had that happen before. We are notorious for black mold here in Tx. I never use it for drinking water anyway but it was disgusting. I was worried about it clogging my water lines to the heater and bathroom but managed to get it all flushed out.
Not sure what went wrong but will be careful this winter.
I bought a case (6 gallons ) of RV antifreeze last fall for $ 10.
It isn't worth the time and effort to try reusing it plus it may be contaminated . We live in Northern Wisconsin where temps get to 30 below Zero and we still get mold growth in our RV antifreeze.
Every Spring I have to pull the pump screen and clean off the mold and slime .All brands of RV antifreeze are basically the same and whether you pay $10 / Gal or $2/ Gal mold will grow. I flush my lines / tank out with a bleach solution each Spring and go on with my life. We drink / cook with the water from our tank , because I am too cheap to pay $4 / Gal for bottled water. We went fishing last week in Canada and our only source of water was out of the lake filtered through a pair of clean socks.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:03 AM   #12

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Whew. What lake was that? I think I'll avoid that one next month. No socks in my water thank you. LOL

Walt

Tags
casita