Theft deterent for 13' boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2006, 08:12 AM   #1

Trailer: 73 Boler
Howdy. Its coming around the time to pull the boler out of the back yard and get it loaded for camping. Right now the boler sits on the back patio in an enclosed yard. I had to pull down a very large steel gate to get it in there so stealing it from the back yard would take alot of work . So now i am worried about it getting stolen when its not parked in the back. The boler has been stolen once already previously before i owned it. Are there any good measures to take other than pulling off the wheels and putting it up on blocks?
Thanks.
colin k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft 1980 Burro
Colin, I keep mine in a locked yard most of the time also, but when I'm doing a lot of camping and in-and-out with it, I keep it in the driveway...and locked. I have two kinds of locks that I put on it. One is a hitch lock that keeps the hitch from being opened. It is a device that I got at Northern where the lock is recessed in a U-bracket that prevents it from being cut with bolt cutters, something that could be fairly easily done with the regular lock setup. The other is called an Alpha Lock, also from Northern, that is a device that looks kind of like a lobster claw. When unlocked, the two claw parts will slide apart, can be placed on both sides of the wheel and then brought back together. The trailer cannot roll with this on the wheel, at least not more than a foot. True, the wheel could be removed and another one attached to foil this lock, but the chances of someone doing this in my driveway (which has 24-hour lighting) are negligible. I think that with some modest precautions, a would-be thief would just move on to easier pickings.

Good luck.

Bob
Bob Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 73 Surfside 14 / '05 Magnum RT AWD
You have some good suggestions, Bob.

I was just thinking about this same problem. Did you do a search, Colin? We once had a pretty good thread on what can be done to prevent theft. I'll see if I can find it.
Jana J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:19 PM   #4

This is the only one I could find. It's not the one I was thinking of, but it's a good one. securing
Old 05-03-2006, 03:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / 1997 Toyota 4Runner LTD (Draw-Tite WDH
You may want to look at the wheel boot made by Trailer Lock (www.trailerlock.com). A number of people on the CasitaClub website have it and recommend it. One of the advantages that the Trailer Lock people claim for their product is that the wheel cannot be removed while the lock is in place.

We have not yet purchased one but may do so, depending on where we end up storing our trailer.

E. Graham
E. Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:58 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
You may want to look at the wheel boot made by Trailer Lock (www.trailerlock.com). A number of people on the CasitaClub website have it and recommend it. One of the advantages that the Trailer Lock people claim for their product is that the wheel cannot be removed while the lock is in place.

We have not yet purchased one but may do so, depending on where we end up storing our trailer.

E. Graham

I have one of those. The only problems are you have to remove and reattach a lug nut and make sure the lug nut is pretty tight when installing the trailerlock.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:58 PM   #7

Quote:
I have one of those. The only problems are you have to remove and reattach a lug nut and make sure the lug nut is pretty tight when installing the trailerlock.
So you only do this once??? or everytime you put it on? once might be okay, but EVERY TIME I STOP - not good.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:11 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
So you only do this once??? or everytime you put it on? once might be okay, but EVERY TIME I STOP - not good.

I do it eveytime I put the lock on. I guess you could leave the bracket on the wheel. I think I might need to go back to the web site and see what they say.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:37 PM   #9

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Hello, from one who lurks out on all three FG sites. I have the big orange ugly thingy as some call it. I have a 2002 17 LD Casita, and it sits in the driveway. The tow vehicle sits in front of the trailer. Naturally when I am at work, the Casita is a prime target for pea-brains that borrow stuff. I have had the wheel lock for about 4 months. Have had it off 3 times. I do not leave the U shaped peice on the wheel. Do not know how it would effect the wheel balance. Each time I put the lug nut back on I torque it to specs. I also have a armoured steel cable that goes thru the wheel, and around the axle, and is locked with a case hardened lock. I have the gorrilla lock up in the receiver area where the ball goes. I also have a junky hitch lock, but leave that on so I know where it is when we get ready to tow. Some of the morons that steal trailers do it one of 2 ways. First type is they have a drop down bumper with a 1 inch ball, that goes up in the ball socket . They insert, power their bumper back up, and away they go. Second type is they back up to the trailer they are going to steal, wrap chains around the trailer hitch, and around their bumper and away they go. Besides all the other theft deterrents I also lock the stab braces down. So if you see some moron in Texas going down the highway with a wheel dragging and sparks flying, from the wheel lock and the stab braces down, and sparking, and the power cord flailing,.........that would be CC1087, which has its number on the back and on the top so the Smokey in the air can see it.

Robert CC1087
Robert & Karen Elling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:11 PM   #10

Registry
Right after my last post I sent an Email to Trailerlock asking about the bracket. Here's their response.

First my letter:

Hi
I purchased your Trailer Keeper. I find it kind of a pain to get out a lug wrench and remove or install that bracket every time I stop or want to pull my trailer off on some adventure. I never thought about just leaving that U bracket attached. Is it expected that the bracket stay on the wheel at all times????

Thanks

Byron Kinnaman

Now the response:

Hello Byron,

Thanks for your question about our Trailer Keeper wheel lock.

Yes, you may leave the bracket on the wheel all the time.

Thanks again.

Customer Service

JME Products Corporation
www.trailerlock.com
1-800-709-3343

Boy did they repond quickly.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:37 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Well okay, I will try it on the next run, but I gotta find out if the torque specs will change. Will call the wheellock folks in the morning. Its 10:30 here and time for Leno.

Robert
Robert & Karen Elling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:38 PM   #12

Trailer: 73 Boler
Thanks everyone for your responses. I think a wheellock is the best bet.
colin k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:48 PM   #13

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have a modified Denver Boot. It looks almost like a welders clap, scissors type of thing.

In the rails of it, there are several sets of holes that can be used to run your own supplied lock thru.. the width of your tire dictates the hole to be used.

Imagine curved ends on the blades of a set of scissors. One hook goes behind the wheel, the other the front. It clamps down.

I use it and a kryptonite lock. It, along with the tongue lock, have thwarted a couple of theft attempts. (On a couple of trailers, as a matter of fact)

They will get it if they really want it tho. The theft insurance is only pennies a month.. thats probably the best tool I have.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:51 PM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
this is my theft deterent goes every where my tt goes...
Attached Thumbnails
S_10Q.JPG  
Dan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:54 PM   #15

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Another idea is to park it in your drive way backwards, i.e. tongue towards garage door and rear bumper towards street.

This could be accomplished with one of those hitch dollies sold by Harbor Freight and others. Then remove the front hitch wheel and hitch dollie and stash in the garage.

Just adds one more step of inconvenience.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:55 PM   #16

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I am thinking he would lick you to death!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 11:01 PM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
he is the biggest baby that you would ever come accross but most people back off when he is standing up and barking no the little one in this pic was the scarry one she did not like anyone and kept the big dog in line..our big dog cound not eat dinner till the little one was finished ..
Attached Thumbnails
dog1.jpg  
Dan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 06:23 PM   #18

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Andy Earthman
I use one of these..

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...04&storeId=6970

Easy to use. Not to pricey. Makes it look hard to steal.
Andy Earthman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler